IWAI - Dublin Branch - Then and Now

The Way it Was.
Some photographs contributed by members and friends providing a brief glimpse of the way things were.
Have a look also at this from the National Archives.
 
North Quay New Developments The North Quay when it really was Docklands, as opposed to the modern structures pictured here on the right.
Old Coaster A coaster breaking the ice in Ringsend when Winter was Winter and Summer was Summer. The buildings in the background were the power station for the Dublin United Tramway and later housed the Dublin Glass Co. which in turn became Irish Glass. The boat is almost certainly a 'gas boat' which brought coal for the gas works.
General MacMahon Bridge Bolands Mills Another photograph taken at the same time when you could walk on the ice and the General MacMahon Bridge was still operational. What is striking is the radical change in the skyline around Bolands Mill which has taken place over the years.
Opening Bridge Fixed Bridge A later shot but before the construction of the Box in the Docks. It was here rumour has it that the bowsprit of a ship waiting for the bridge to open derailed a tram passing over the bridge.
Above photographs courtesy of Alan Tomlin - Dublin Branch
Lock-Keeper's House, Pre 1910 Lock-Keeper's House, Current The lock-keepers house at Ringsend Basin taken pre 1910. Note that Ringsend Church has not yet acquired a spire and the mast and bowsprit of a sailing boat in the graving dock. The new house built in 1943 appears to have been built much nearer to the River Liffey.
Docks, Old View Docks, Modern View Another pair of views of the entrance to the docks this time with buildings and structures that have disappeared. The photo on the left shows the gas tank and the pipe that carried it over the lock.
Point Depot Point Depot Today Here a view facing towards the Liffey taken from the lock showing a gas boat arriving though it appears to be unladen and the Point Depot in the background. The additional structure on the roof to house stage equipment can be seen in the right hand shot.
Above photographs courtesy of George Brierley - Ringsend Lockeeper
Dredging the Canal M Boat with Lock Gates Some slightly more recent photos taken while the canals were still in commercial operation where the locations haven't changed too much but the traffic belongs to a different era. Three shots are of the working equipment in use at the time including an M boat to transport the new gates to the lock at Mespil Road.
Emmet Bridge The Way Things Were We are not sure of the source of the photographs but were told that they were taken from a skip outside the James St Harbour during its closure. If copyright is claimed it will be acknowledged.
This is only a start so if you wish to contribute photographs for this page please contact us at the link below.
Above photographs sent by Harry Sheehy
Once upon a time (1832), there was discussion of a Ship canal to link Dublin with Dún Laoghaire - See Copies of information related to Dublin and Kingstown Ship Canal  (28 pages) and a Report from the select committee on Dublin and Kingstown Ship Canal (224 pages)
 
Back to the Top

 

This page was last modified .