Inland Waterways Association of Ireland

The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

craftinsure.ie

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Richmond Harbour

Posted by Jim & Finola 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Richmond Harbour
26 April, 2010 14:36
Hi All
Is Richmond Harbour in Clondra due to open shortly. Might be down that way over the May weekend.
Re: Richmond Harbour
26 April, 2010 21:58
Let's hope WI enforce the five day rule when it does reopen . Otherwise it will quickly return to the previous situation as a graveyard /free mooring[almost]
Of course I'm not hopeful that they will enforce the rules considering that there are boats in public harbours that haven't moved since last season. Don't they know winter mooring is over??

PjN
26 April, 2010 22:23
It would be a great base for WI to patrol the river and canal me thinks....winking smiley
27 April, 2010 10:30
Quote:
pj norris
Let's hope WI enforce the five day rule when it does reopen . Otherwise it will quickly return to the previous situation as a graveyard /free mooring[almost]
Of course I'm not hopeful that they will enforce the rules considering that there are boats in public harbours that haven't moved since last season. Don't they know winter mooring is over??

PjN

There is a black steel (?) yacht in Dromaan harbour that has been there for years.
Maybe WI havent moved it due to the inconvenience for them of dropping the mast so that the yacht can be towed to their storage area??

If so that gives me an idea... :-)

John

SV Breakaway
27 April, 2010 16:23
I spoke to a Sean Mahr today and he said that Richmond won't be open 'till the 1st of September
03 June, 2010 21:28
some pics from this week

04 June, 2010 00:22
Looks a lovely spot to visit next time were up that way.

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin
04 June, 2010 07:39
a few more pics

04 June, 2010 07:43
and a few more ( including the new service block)

Re: Re: Richmond Harbour
04 June, 2010 09:12
Thanks for the images.

They've certainly done us proud.

Credit where credit is due

Paul Mc Cann

On 4 June 2010 07:43, IWAI forum Pas Vite wrote:

> Posted at: [www.iwai.ie]
> Pas Vite wrote:
>
> and a few more ( including the new service block)
>
>
>
>
>
RE: Re: Richmond Harbour
04 June, 2010 10:10
Good morning list,

Here's one for you to be thinking about.

People who keep their boat on the Grand or Royal Canals pay for a permit - right?

The permit covers passage through locks and mooring on the canal - right?

Recently, boats were moved out of Shannon Harbour to make way for visiting boats -right?

Boats on the canals need a permit - right?

Will ALL these visiting boats be required to purchase a permit as they enter the Grand Canal at Shannon Harbour from the lock keeper? If so will they be prepared to pay?

Will ALL these visiting boats be required to purchase a permit as they enter the Royal Canal at Richmond Harbour? If so will they be prepared to pay?

Should they pay?

Answers to any/all of the above questions can be written on the back of a crisp clean €5.00 note and sent to me. The draw will take place when I have received loads of them. There are no prizes. The winner will be the publican where I get to spend the pot.

By the way, I was down in Shannon Harbour last week end. Most boats were cleared out of the harbour and moved out towards Belmont. I say most because some were just not moved by WI. These would appear to be untouchable.

I for one did welcome the opportunity overnight against the wall - I had my choice of spaces. However, I think that clearing one side would have been sufficient.

So now, all you visiting boats which plan on saturating Shannon Harbour, be aware:

You may need to purchase a pass
You may not get a space against the wall (doubling up is not permitted)
You may end up closer to Belmont along the line of the Canal
Bigger boats will find it difficult to turn in the canal (does your boat steer in reverse)

There would appear to be a large crowd due to assemble in Shannon Harbour this weekend.

Jason, order up a new book of permits quick.

Have a good, enjoyable, safe weekend.

I look forward to meeting you at some point over the weekend.

Regards

Kieran
Re: RE: Re: Richmond Harbour
04 June, 2010 10:31
Kieran
We have already taken care of that and arranged the permits with Jason. The sum to lock up into Shannon Harbour and return to the Shannon is the princely amount of €2.40.

Belmont is an attractive destination on the canal and it forms part of the visit by the Lough Derg branch.

I do hope you can make it the more the merrier, the harbour is open for business

Greg Whelan
RE: Re: RE: Re: Richmond Harbour
04 June, 2010 11:51
Hi Greg,

Will you also be ensuring that the boats are not doubling up in the Harbour, as per Waterways Ireland recent dictat?

By the way, how many boats have you got registered to attend the event?

Belmont is a lovely spot. My original mail mentioned that boats had been "moved out towards Belmont". I could easily have said towards Dublin. I was referring to the distance out from the "walled harbour".

Regards

Kieran
04 June, 2010 12:46
Hi Kieran

As someone who purchased my first boat in Shannon harbour several years ago and based myself there while learning to use it, I have great affection for the place and the people. We attend every year the rally and are due to visit this weekend also as guests of the SH branch.

However reading your posts it would appear that we would not be welcome or wanted, this would certainly be a first for us as regards boating mostly people are very happy to see us arrive. Reading between the lines of your posts one gets the impression that if it can be made awkward for people to use the harbour it will revert back to the old status quo I don't think that will happen very easily. Is this one of the strategies of the new W.A.G. group or is this just your personal view ?

It's unfortunate that you take the public forum of the IWAI to "apparently" discourage members from attending an IWAI event.

Regards
Andy Jordan
Lough Derg Branch IWAI
RE: Re: RE: Re: Richmond Harbour
04 June, 2010 14:03
Hi Andy,

I think you might want to re-read my posts again.

I did not discourage anybody from attending Shannon Harbour.

Neither did I advise anybody to stay away from Shannon harbour. I simply
pointed out what is now the "Expected Norm" as far as Waterways Ireland
are concerned and what any boats arriving at Shannon Harbour may expect.

As far as I am concerned, you are most welcome.

I don't know where you read that I might want to "make it awkward for
people to use the harbour it will revert back to the old status quo".

I take offence to any suggestion by you that I would not make anybody
welcome or want to make it awkward for them to come into Shannon Harbour
or any other point on our waterways. I await your apology.

I am not a member of the W.A.G.

I am a member of the IWAI.

I read the content on this list (e-mail) regularly but only ever
contribute occasionally.

Andy, you also wrote and I quote: "It's unfortunate that you take the
public forum of the IWAI to "apparently" discourage members from
attending an IWAI event".

Show me where I "apparently" tried to discourage members from attending
an IWAI event"

Which is it that you don't like:

(A) the content of my mail (which is the truth) or
(cool smiley the fact that I would dare to share my thoughts on this matter in
case it might make some folk uncomfortable. (not unwelcome)

It's time to take your head out of the sand.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

Go with the flow.

But above all enjoy the weekend.

Regards

Kieran
04 June, 2010 17:05
Quote:
Andy Jordan
Hi Kieran
As someone who purchased my first boat in Shannon harbour several years ago and based myself there while learning to use it, I have great affection for the place and the people. We attend every year the rally and are due to visit this weekend also as guests of the SH branch.

However reading your posts it would appear that we would not be welcome or wanted, this would certainly be a first for us as regards boating mostly people are very happy to see us arrive. Reading between the lines of your posts one gets the impression that if it can be made awkward for people to use the harbour it will revert back to the old status quo I don't think that will happen very easily. Is this one of the strategies of the new W.A.G. group or is this just your personal view ?

It's unfortunate that you take the public forum of the IWAI to "apparently" discourage members from attending an IWAI event.

Regards
Andy Jordan
Lough Derg Branch IWAI

Hi Andy, don't think you understood Kieran's post and may have misunderstood him completely. smiling smiley I didn't read any of that into it.

Richmond Harbour
04 June, 2010 17:13
Chill lads and ladies - it's a wonderful bank holiday weekend and after the traffic has dissapated we're heading down to wonderful deep Derg.

Hope all have a great weekend on our amazing waterways and especially to the folks visiting Shbr.

PS: Well done and thanks to folks in WI, you have done some pretty and amazing work on our waterway infrastructure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2010 17:13 by OceanFroggie.
07 June, 2010 20:10
On Fri. Evening I watched the boats pass through Portumna,7.30 bridge. I admired the wonderful examples of Irish manhood as they drove through,with ample girth ,bare to the waist,and can in hand.
One pair,in the spirit of friendship, drove through the bridge opening ,side by side,and in case any of their compadres were too hot,showered each other in beer ,sprayed from bottles.

They also drove very quickly,no doubt to display their skills in boat handling.

They were followed by some more Fangios in private cruisers, some of which were the sports boat type.
They did their civic duty by "washing" the moored boats and rolling them violently at their moorings.

Our Celtic Tiger children will no doubt tell their Mammies about the wonderful weekend they had on the Shannon.
"It's a pity you couldn't come Mammy"
I unfortunately was unable to travel on the lake this weekend. I'm so sorry I didn't get the opportunity to meet with some of these fine specimens of Irish manhood .{Yes I heard them speaking politely to one another]

I envy some of you who travelled to Terryglass,Mountshannon and other places.

What a wonderful weekend you must all have had.

Pj [ green with envy]
08 June, 2010 00:37
Ah, PJ, smile and be happy, take a happy pill (eg: asprin) smiling smiley Sorry you didn't get out this weekend.

08 June, 2010 12:46
Kieran
I can assure you that I was not the only one to read your mails and come to the same conclusion, no one that I spoke to in Shannon harbour knew who you were or what your agenda is,and absolutely nothing in your posts turned out to be correct.
We had a wonderful with time with great company in a great harbour that was buzzing with life and activity. What a transformation, and though some people are still a little apprehensive they are willing to see how it works out with time.

Regards
Andy Jordan
Lough Derg Branch IWAI

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 6
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017