ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

Site Development Team

IWAI Backoffice

IWAI Officer's webmail

Jennifers Travels

Deakin Marine

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Navigation with Navionics+iPad+Bluetooth mouse!

Posted by Christian Bruss 
Navigation with Navionics+iPad+Bluetooth mouse!
02 July, 2010 08:32
Good morning!

just for info, maybe some ipad users are interested in:

I use an iPad Wifi (NO 3G) in combination with Navionics UK Holland HD (see details at [itunes.apple.com] ).

The problem was, that Navionics uses the Wifi location for positioning if you have a NON 3G iPad, BUT there is no Wifi on the Erne... eye popping smiley

So what can you do?

It is simple: if you have a jailbreaked iPad, go to cydia and install roqyBT (see details at [www.roqy-bluetooth.net] ) (it costs a few bucks, but it's worth..)

rogyBT enables a REAL bluetooth port, so you can connect an external GPS bluetooth mouse!!

Pair your bluetooth mouse one time, disable Wifi, and start Navionics, it will use the signal from the bluetooth mouse and works like a charm!!!

If you like to see it in action, you can find me the next two weeks on Erne... grinning smiley

greetings from vienna

Chris
Re: Navigation with Navionics+iPad+Bluetooth mouse!
02 July, 2010 19:20
Hi Christian - surely wifi vs. 3G is not the point?
Rather whether the device has a gps receiver?
I have an iPhone 3GS which does.

Surprised to hear iPad doesn't......

John
Quote:
Christian Bruss
Good morning!
just for info, maybe some ipad users are interested in:

I use an iPad Wifi (NO 3G) in combination with Navionics UK Holland HD (see details at [itunes.apple.com] ).

The problem was, that Navionics uses the Wifi location for positioning if you have a NON 3G iPad, BUT there is no Wifi on the Erne... eye popping smiley

So what can you do?

It is simple: if you have a jailbreaked iPad, go to cydia and install roqyBT (see details at [www.roqy-bluetooth.net] ) (it costs a few bucks, but it's worth..)

rogyBT enables a REAL bluetooth port, so you can connect an external GPS bluetooth mouse!!

Pair your bluetooth mouse one time, disable Wifi, and start Navionics, it will use the signal from the bluetooth mouse and works like a charm!!!

If you like to see it in action, you can find me the next two weeks on Erne... grinning smiley
04 July, 2010 05:07
iPad seems a 'cool' coffee table appliance, but due need for high speed Internet access seems confined to home use. Like iTouch the non 3G model has no gps. But Christian has found a clever way around one of the units basic deficiencies. I've played exensively with iPad but don't see what use it would be for folks who already have an iPhone and a laptop.

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin
20 July, 2010 09:13
I'll be back from two wonderful weeks on Erne (from Belleeck to Camlin River (via Lough Key) and I can say the combination with iPad and Bluetooth mouse works PERFECT! wonderful routing and tracking.

Quote:
OceanFroggie
I've played exensively with iPad but don't see what use it would be for folks who already have an iPhone and a laptop.

I have an iPhone and Laptop too.... but:
) Laptop on the boat? big, heavy, power consuming intensive..... ipad accu 10 hours...

) quick surf the internet or check mail: Laptop power on, go for a coffee...--> ipad on, check mail, surf, power off, all together 1 minute. in this time my laptop won't start.. grinning smiley

)ever read 250 emails after a couple of days without wifi on an IPHONE? my eyes are good, but... grinning smiley

just my two cents...

greetings from vienna

Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/07/2010 09:18 by Christian Bruss.
20 July, 2010 09:17
Quote:
OceanFroggie
iPad seems a 'cool' coffee table appliance, but due need for high speed Internet access seems confined to home use. ####CUT####.

hm. not really. I have MyWi installed on my iPhone and with this tool I can make a wireless hotspot using 3G connection. ipad connecting to this hotspot and voila'! smiling bouncing smiley

greetings from vienna

Chris
20 July, 2010 22:53
Unfortunately the Iphone 3GS and Ipad, use assisted GPS, were the GPS used info from the 3G network to asist startup. If you remove the iphone from land , the GPS is appaling slow to start up , well over 40 minutes and its accuracy seems very poor.

As Christian says it really needs a sperate propoer GPS
23 July, 2010 16:08
Christian, I have exactly the same setup like you (except using Baltic Sea Navionics) It doesnt work for me, though. It works fine when using WiFi, but when I try to use the GPS (a bluetooth Holux), the app cant find the gps.
Pairing the gps using RoqyBT works fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
/fredrik
23 July, 2010 17:59
My problem with Navionics Shannon inland coverage is they failed to chart depths in vast areas of Lough Derg and Lough Ree. For instance they did not chart depths in any of the wonderful bays and anchorages near mountshannon, nothing east of illaunmore, none of Carrigahorrig bay, loads of Cloondavaun bay skipped, Coose bay, etc. They have no harbours marked and no harbour layouts, unlike their coastal charts. I had high hopes for their inland foray but was bitterly disappointed with the result, hence switched nav gear from Raymarine to Garmin, and hence the immense 6 month effort at the new shannon charts for Garmin gear. Their coastal charts are excellent though.

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/07/2010 17:59 by OceanFroggie.
24 July, 2010 09:55
Quote:
Fredrik Gunne
Christian, I have exactly the same setup like you (except using Baltic Sea Navionics) It doesnt work for me, though. It works fine when using WiFi, but when I try to use the GPS (a bluetooth Holux), the app cant find the gps.
Pairing the gps using RoqyBT works fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
/fredrik

after pairing with roqyBT do you see also a fix with your actual position in ROQYBT?
THEN start Navionics.

greetings from vienna

Chris
26 July, 2010 11:21
Thanks, that works!

I havent used the Navionics app yet when sailing, but it seems as if the maps dont have the same quality as my other maps used in GPS apps on Windows (I am trying to avoid bringing too much tech stuff on the boat).

For instance, I purchased some BSB maps from [www.hydrographica.se] for use with OziExplorer, and those maps look a lot better.

So, is there any way to 1) use my previously purchased BSB maps in iPad (in Navionics or other app) or 2) get better maps to Navionics or other app?

Thanks!
/Fredrik
26 July, 2010 12:21
Quote:
Fredrik Gunne
Thanks, that works!
I havent used the Navionics app yet when sailing, but it seems as if the maps dont have the same quality as my other maps used in GPS apps on Windows (I am trying to avoid bringing too much tech stuff on the boat).

For instance, I purchased some BSB maps from [www.hydrographica.se] for use with OziExplorer, and those maps look a lot better.

So, is there any way to 1) use my previously purchased BSB maps in iPad (in Navionics or other app) or 2) get better maps to Navionics or other app?

Thanks!
/Fredrik

Fine! I don't know your Baltic Sea maps, only use it in Ireland and the med. sea.
BUT: My prefered navi system ever, are my EYES! the finger smiley
So it doesn't matter, if same depths are missing, some bojes are not in exact place, the harbour is not present with every jettie... If I go along I SEE it.... It always could be a little help for planning routes, see your actual position and so on. I never trust the navi in every situation. but I will not miss it! ever been on lough Ree going south, looking to the back and see a heavy thundery rain coming down from Lanesborough within 15 minutes? then, being in this "hell" ever tried to find the entry to lecarrow channel with heavy rain and waves with 1,5 meters? I do... I love my navi! cool smiley

to your questions: no way for using other maps in navionics, but have a look at [ax.itunes.apple.com]
MotionX GPS HD can handle a lot of different maps, import them and so on. it should also works with roqyBT and your external mouse.
if you find a perfect map for ireland inland waterways running on MotionX GPS HD tell me! smileys with beer

greetings from vienna

Chris
31 July, 2010 16:17
Hi all,

I use an iPod iTouch with GPSNavX app.It has no gps inside.For those who use a laptop for navigation, an ad-hoc wireless network can be created.With Franson GPS gate the signal can be repeated to a TCP/IP port and wirelessly received by the iTouch.So then you can go on deck or wheelhouse and view the chart with the position indicated. I've used both Mac's and PC's to the same effect. However the link sometimes fails I have found, and needs to be reset.
An Ipad without 3G or a GPS could be set up the same.
I did not try roqybluetooth (link above) yet, as I feel the display is too small to navigate with anyway.

Had better success with a free program called openCPN available from www.bigdumboat.com link there to download from sourceforge.This displays CM93 charts (vector)and the French SHOM chart CD's (raster).Open CPN is under constant development and displays NOAA S57 charts (free) of US waters.
09 January, 2011 11:38
Quote:
Christian Bruss
Good morning!
So what can you do?

I see that this thread is already a bit old, but there may be another solution that does not require a jail-broken iPad, if you don't mind having a cable attached to it.

The TomTom carkit for the iPod touch incorporates a GPS receiver. Obviously the iPad won't fit in the dock, but if you use a dock extension cable it will also work with the iPad wifi. To my knowlegde this setup works with all apps that require GPS, but to be honest I have not yet tried navionics. This may also be the case for other carkits that incorporate GPS, but I have no experience with these.

The carkit will also provide power to the iPad. This is not suffient to charge it while in use, but it will avoid draining the battery. And, if the iPad screen is off, it will charge it.

I know that not all dock extension cable carry all wires. I have used a 6 feet cableJive extension cable, and this works very well.

It is also possible that this setup is useful for iPads that do have GPS, as it allow placing the GPS receiver at a different location, while the receiver may also be better (but that is just speculation).

Well, hopefully this information is useful to someone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 23
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 13 on 26 February, 2013
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 154 on 08 December, 2012