craftinsure.ie

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Grand Canal - photos of Leeson St. dredging

Posted by Conor Nolan 
Grand Canal - photos of Leeson St. dredging
28 January, 2011 19:34
A few photos of what's happening on the canal on the Leeson St. to Charlemont Bridge section. Not much dredging - but don't know how long they've been on site. Lots of cycle lane work.

At leeson St. bridge looking up toward Luas bridge and beyond. Pipe is taking water from above Charlemont lock to below Leeson St bridge to keep lower sections in water.

Dry canal bed and the lock at Leeson St.

Above the lock at Charlemont St. bridge - intake to pipe.

Looking down from the Luas bridge.

Cycle lane(?) works beside the canal on Herbert St.

A few more in this album - [pix.ie]
Re: Grand Canal - photos of Leeson St. dredging
28 January, 2011 19:41
Great and informative photos. Jeepers I'd no idea the grand was that shallow, no wonder it's so difficult to use. Looks like dead centre or instant grounding.

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin
28 January, 2011 20:38
Great photos - confirmation of what we felt under our hulls - how did we get through that mess last year?

Beth
Aqualegia
Re: Re: Grand Canal - photos of Leeson St. dredging
28 January, 2011 22:20
Beth,

That "gouge" down the middle of the level is probably only there BECAUSE of
last years HBA trip....!!

M(W&W)F
28 January, 2011 22:23
Pretty much Noel though mud is thicker than water and will float a boat.
Pretty slow moving through it though..!!

M(W&W)F
28 January, 2011 23:34
Now I see why it's called a ditch. Wonder where all the fish went to ? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~eye popping smiley

pj
03 February, 2011 12:59
Does anyone know what is being done here. I asked DCC's press office and was told they were repairing a pipe which was found to have been damaged in the freeze. I don't have much confidence in the answer, I regret to say.
03 February, 2011 15:16
Tim
It is the second phase of the Grand Canal Dredging project by Waterways Ireland. First Phase was last year up to Baggott Street.

Colin published details on it recently.

Thats why Mick F is going in circles in the Basin on 107B - he can't get out.

Greg Whelan
03 February, 2011 18:41
In Conor's 2nd photo there is what looks like water spewing up from a burst pipe.

These photos confirm that the canals are the domain of metal hulled vessels and barges, but no place for typical grp cruisers. As described so often on here, the canals seem far too much hard work for water born tourism, and not really for "leisure" boating. I greatly admire those enthusiasts who keep using them and enjoy the challenges of passages.

RE: Re: Grand Canal - photos of Leeson St. dredging
03 February, 2011 20:17
Noel,

I don't think so! If that is water spewing up from a pipe why is ground around it not all wet. To me it looks just like a lump of metal (like the ones used on the underside of the jetty.

Regards

Kieran
Re: RE: Re: Grand Canal - photos of Leeson St. dredging
03 February, 2011 21:36
Its a road traffic cone chucked in by some genius,coverd in the best Dublin canal sludge one can find in a Dublin ditchwinking smiley
03 February, 2011 23:16
Noel
The canals are fanastic experience.

Why not join us for the trip in May, the canals present a tremendous asset to the environment and as a tourist amentity for both domestic and foreign tourists. Canals are just like off-shore journeys that require certain preparation for vessel and crew.

And now we have a second canal cruising ground!!!

Lets enjoy them all.

Greg Whelan
VP - IWAI
Quote:
OceanFroggie
In Conor's 2nd photo there is what looks like water spewing up from a burst pipe.
These photos confirm that the canals are the domain of metal hulled vessels and barges, but no place for typical grp cruisers. As described so often on here, the canals seem far too much hard work for water born tourism, and not really for "leisure" boating. I greatly admire those enthusiasts who keep using them and enjoy the challenges of passages.
Re: RE: Re: Grand Canal - photos of Leeson St. dredging
03 February, 2011 23:24
Quote:
ralf
Its a road traffic cone chucked in by some genius,coverd in the best Dublin canal sludge one can find in a Dublin ditchwinking smiley

I count six cone's and a couple of tyre's, there's obviously lots of geniuses in Dublin especially on a saturday night. smileys with beer

AJ
16 February, 2011 21:16
We had a look at the Grand Canal dredging earlier this week. Here's a few photos of what's happening.

They seem to be removing a couple of feet of muck. It's being dug out by digger and taken away in lorries.

Seems like everything including the kitchen sink has been dumped in the canal.

Eunice
16 February, 2011 22:23
Hiya Eunice,
What sort of width is that trench that the digger is sitting in...??

M(W&W)F
16 February, 2011 22:32
Mick,
I'm not 100% sure of the width. I didn't fancy going mud wrestling. It's definitely wider than a 13' barge. Not sure that it would be the width of 2 barges. It's certainly an improvement on what was there.

Eunice
16 February, 2011 23:28
At least this dredging is being done as promised.

Lets hope it does not make it too easy to come in!!!!

Greg Whelan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/02/2011 23:28 by Gregory Whelan.
16 February, 2011 23:29
Noel

I think you will find the pictures of the Grand that look so shallow would also apply to many sections of the Shannon and Erne if they were drained. The colour would drain from all our faces if we saw the Shannon drained at the Three counties pile! I agree that the canals are not the preserve of TSDY's but SC GRP cruisers designed for inland or Coastal work should have little difficulty in doing the Grand/Royal experience. I can't wait to introduce Ida the the sport of 'inland contact sport'

Tom
17 February, 2011 00:42
Sure I'm only 12'9" Eunice....13 foot would be loads of room...!! I'll be
testing it next May..!!

M(W&W)F
17 February, 2011 19:15
Quote:
TOM BAILEY
Noel
I think you will find the pictures of the Grand that look so shallow would also apply to many sections of the Shannon and Erne if they were drained. The colour would drain from all our faces if we saw the Shannon drained at the Three counties pile! I agree that the canals are not the preserve of TSDY's but SC GRP cruisers designed for inland or Coastal work should have little difficulty in doing the Grand/Royal experience. I can't wait to introduce Ida the the sport of 'inland contact sport'

Tom

Tom like yourself I once had reputation for bottom feeling. Er let me clarify that statement, letting the keel of our boat gently touch the muddy "bottom" of a lake bed. smiling smiley Phew! I'm well aware of the shallow areas on the Shannon, however on the mid and south shannon these are not numerous. Many places on the river enjoy between 3 and 8 meters "under" the keel, never mind Derg and Ree.

Eunice's photos are excellent and suggest WI seem to be taking this problem seriously by doing an excellent job, bull dozing every thing out of their way, and deep too. The deeper water will also make it a little more difficult for weed to grow. If they dredge this well over the years as far as the Shannon, the canals indeed may become leisure user friendly, rather than just limited to expert enthusiasts. These photos are very encouraging for the future of canal navigation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 12
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017