Deakin Marine

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Dublin Branch / Five Lamps Festival

Posted by joe treacy 
Dublin Branch / Five Lamps Festival
08 April, 2011 10:16
Folks,

gave a little hand out to branch members involved in this local community effort which for three days will be doing some art / storytelling / boat trips etc. etc. at Charleville Mall on the Royal Canal. Trojan efforts from Derek Whelan, Mick Kinahan and Mick Farrell . The happy faces made it all worthwhile - a couple of pics from yesterday.

Re: Dublin Branch / Five Lamps Festival
08 April, 2011 20:15
I counted 57 "passengers" yesterday Joe.....133 today. We'll be at it again tomorrow from about 11.30 to 5 PM.

M(W&W)F
10 April, 2011 17:01
Me head is wrecked...!! 3 days trying to keep very free spirited kids under some sort of control. "Put that lifejacket back on" I'd say, to the inevitable reply of "ahhh but Mister, I'm a professional swimmer". There should be a boatload of Olympic Gold Swimming medals coming our way in the next dozen years...!! Still, no one fell in or got hurt and the kids had great fun...!!

The Dubh Linn did 37 trips over the 3 days carrying a total of 336 passengers, most of whom had never been on a boat before. The oldest was one Bridie Sharkey, who celebrated her 100th birthday last November. We also met 84 year old Eddie Lynch. He's lived in the lock house at the 1st lock all his life, and was the lock keeper, as was his father before him.

The overwhelming majority of people I spoke with were delighted to see boats back on the canal and are now looking forward to seeing next weeks convoy from Clontarf Yacht Club heading for the Shannon, and the boats heading into and out from the Dublin Rally.

Between the Five Lamps Festival and last Septembers Fizzfest, Dublin branch have now given boat trips to almost 600 people on the "re-opened" Royal and, through the Green and Silver project, are encouraging non canal boaters to come and experience it for themselves..!!

M(W&W)F
Re: Re: Dublin Branch / Five Lamps Festival
10 April, 2011 20:14
Outstanding, Mick

Well done, one and all.
I wish I could have joined, even as a passenger, but sadly it wasn't possible!
I've yet to experience the Liffey as a boater, despite growing up in the city and being an active canal enthusiast on both canals.
I keep threatening to do a Viking Splash tour, but not getting around to it.
I'll have to try and cadge a lift on one of the G & S boats, for the Spencer Dock-Liffey-GCD leg, or the return.

Happy boating, all

Duncan
10 April, 2011 21:58
Well done all the Micks and Derek too

With all this years activities we might top the 1,000!!!

Sorry I did'nt make it - had to start the planning for the 40th Shannon Harbour Rally - the perfect party for the Royalites as they finish their Grand Trip.

Greg Whelan
10 April, 2011 22:29
Greg, lets not forget Joe and Ben Tracey and Peter Johntson who also gave a hand. But most of all, lets not forget "the punters". They were a bloody nuisance, but how else could I justify messing about on the canal for 3 days in a row..?

M(W&W)F
11 April, 2011 11:07
Whoops - Sorry about that lads

Good to see you had some local Interpreters

Greg Whelan
11 April, 2011 14:31
Great work lads.
I'm looking forward to increased attendances at Croke Park ,now that they've conquered their fear of the water.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2011 14:31 by pj norris.
Re: Re: Dublin Branch / Five Lamps Festival
11 April, 2011 18:15
> I keep threatening to do a Viking Splash tour, but not getting around to
> it.

> Happy boating, all
>
> Duncan

I highly recommend the Viking Splash Tour to anyone.

The little kids and the "Big" kids will really enjoy it...

[www.vikingsplash.ie]

All the best...Mark
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 21
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 5 on 19 June, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017