Jennifers Travels

Berth for Sale or Rent

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

31B's Green And Silver Voyage.

Posted by Mick Farrell 
31B's Green And Silver Voyage.
21 June, 2011 23:20
Seeing as JT has no pics for us today, here's one of 31B at Confey tonight.

M(W&W)F

PS...I could'nt get any silver lights, so red will have to do 'yis...!

too many pixels in the original Mick!

I did'nt realise I had to count the pixie's Michael...!!..Thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 22/06/2011 00:45 by Mick Farrell.

Re: 31B's Green And Silver Voyage.
22 June, 2011 00:06
Looking very cute Mick , and until I get down in a day or two , this is a fresh one from 'Vossie' of one of your scouts! BTW will ya throw a tape across the 18th when you squeeze in, just for research purposes.

Joe.the finger smiley

22 June, 2011 00:43
Will do Joe.....though if Ebenhaezer got through, I dont think my 12' 9" will be doing any "squeezing"...!! Is that Enfield that Fionnuisce is at or further west...??

M(W&W)F
22 June, 2011 01:04
Joe

Just to show that I have on occasions had to squeeze into a lock, here's one from 3rd May

M(W&W)F

22 June, 2011 02:36
Hea Mick. Ya Look like your a bit sideways there. If you came straight you might have squeezed through without having to do any rope tricks.
Or maybe your doing some sort of a B boat ritual .
John.
22 June, 2011 05:27
Last time I saw a ritual like that was in Africa smiling smiley Hats off for lateral thinking.

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin
22 June, 2011 10:13
Mick
Songmaster, poet and now lateral thinker, where will your talents end?

Enjoy the trip !!

Greg
22 June, 2011 10:25
John/Noel

That was just the boat drifting around while I was doing the "Naas Line Rope Trick". The gates would only open to about 12 foot so it was always going to be difficult getting 12' 9" through them. In the end, my lateral thinking did'nt work, nor did the winch on the front of the boat. I went rooting at the heel post of the gates with my GPS (good pushing stick) and managed to dislodge some clumps of something which allowed the gate to open back enough to get through. It felt like limescale, but as 72M had been through about 6 weeks earlier it's hard to imagine where it came from.
WI did an excellent job on the Naas Line locks for the HBA visit in October 2009 but all the top gates were still a bit tight. By October 2010, when I was heading up with 107B, the top gates had become very tight, and I had to winch 31B out of a couple of them. I also had to tow 107 out of them all, as they just would'nt open that last couple of inches. There's quite a big flow coming down the Naas Line so it seems the top gates on the are very prone to getting "stuff" lodged in behind them at the heel posts and in the wall rebates. The line also seems to be very prone to limescale build up on the locks and gates. Nothing a barge load of "Calgon" could'nt deal with though...!!!

M(W&W)F

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/06/2011 10:41 by Mick Farrell.
RE: Re: 31B's Green And Silver Voyage.
22 June, 2011 10:41
Oh I think its time for a M(W&W)F blog?
Niall G
22 June, 2011 14:04
31B currently stuck at Louisa Bridge. Some pics from Holly of the shite beneath the bridge. I believe this was reported to WI at the end of April when the boats were heading up for the Dublin Rally...!! The whole underneath of the bridge is littered with masonry, both modern concrete blocks and old cut stone.

Alongside the towpath as you enter the bridge.

Far side of bridge...9" cavity block showing scratch marks from my hull.

The same block recovered. Scratch marks on front edge and right hand end.

M(W&W)F
22 June, 2011 14:51
Ok, got through Louisa Bridge at 14.40 after removing a number of concrete blocks and shifting several hundredweight of stone and windowcills. Ye cant bate a good 'oul whinge...!!!

M(W&W)F
22 June, 2011 19:03
Hi Mick. Was in Sh today. We measured Ebenezer..She is 13ft 4In at a moulding at the top of the lee boards.
The hull is only 12 ft 6in. Judging by Rachel's post today it looks as if an M boat might have trouble. But the only way is to try it.

PJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/06/2011 21:25 by pj norris.
22 June, 2011 20:41
Hi Mick,

I'm new to the forum... that grand boat was at Enfiled harbour yestreday afternoon... how far are you along the canal at this stage? I went looking around Cloncurry and the bit of road west of Enfield (after 19h00 today)... looking for a photo... If you're around Enfiled tomorrow before 11h00 I'll be happy to get a few pictures...

Cheers for now,
AJ aka Vossie
22 June, 2011 23:03
Mick remember the old priestman down on the Barrow you should have attached it to the front of 31B would come in handy lifting out the rubble. By the way that trick you were using last May is called a spanish windless much more efficent to have a good grag aboard. I will post the photos from Maynooth today later, have you signed up the new crew from today yet. Mind the windows.
22 June, 2011 23:58
PJ,

Which M boat is wider than 13' 4"....? If it's lock walls tapering in below the water you're worrying about, then it's going to be a bit difficult to measure them. As regards Rachel's post on the Rambler thread, I think I have a kango somewhere on the boat. Want me to shave the protuding stone a bit for you...??

M(W&W)F
23 June, 2011 00:03
Hi AJ,

31B is just above lock 15, east of Kilcock tonight. There's a bit of a festival thingy on there over the weekend which I plan to hang around for. I expect to leave Kilcock on Sunday afternoon and, depending on conditions, hope to be àround Enfield Sunday evening.

M(W&W)F
23 June, 2011 00:12
Never mind 77M, Tommy, 33E(??) is just a few miles ahead with an RB10 sitting on the front. It would certainly beat trying to lift window cills with a grapling hook or concrete blocks with me boat hook. One of the potential new crew was keen to continue but the other wanted to go home for a ba ba and a bedtime story. I'll deal with the window issue, and the 2 broken bicycles, later when I get the pics on the PC. F**king trees....cut 'em all down I say....!!

M(W&W)F
23 June, 2011 07:51
Hi Mick,

Thanks for that... I'll see you in Kilcock... I'm doing my first stall at the market in the square...

Cheers,
AJ aka Vossie
23 June, 2011 10:33
Now Mick you get you eye off 33E that is set up for real dredging not just a ton of rubble that was in the canal at least from last January. Now we will have to send you on a course to appreciate trees wood beening the most usefull material on the planet, it helps you breath, lets you sit on it, helps you keep warm, gives you something to write on, gives you a table to sit at and a box to go out in. So just because it smashes a odd window on you dont say bad things about it be at peace with mother mature on the canal.
P S you should have told me earlier could lend you a chain saw.
Regards Tommy
23 June, 2011 15:08
Yeah Tommy,

It certainly helped me breath yesterday when one opened a non opening window. For a short while I had a wheelhouse tree. Anyway thanks for the offer of the chainsaw but I also carry one of them in me ships stores...!!

Another tree attacked the 2 bikes on top of the boat and tore the saddle off one and bent the wheel of the other. I was warned that, like certain areas on the Grand, there were places that the locals might be a bit belligerant, but I certainly was'nt expecting to trees to come after me...!!

M(W&W)F
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 21
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 13 on 26 February, 2013
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 154 on 08 December, 2012