The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

craftinsure.ie

Jennifers Travels

Deakin Marine

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

31B's Green And Silver Voyage.

Posted by Mick Farrell 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Re: 31B's Green And Silver Voyage.
29 June, 2011 22:32
Mick, very impressed and information is noted.

Joe.
30 June, 2011 19:16
No worries Joe, many thanks to ASB Ebenhaezer for discovering this little issue, hence my decision to name the "reef" in honour of it's owner...LOL

Meanwhile, back on my own little planet...!!

Put meself through L 18 and just as I was pulling away, at midday, a car pulled up alongside and Mick Bane asked if I wanted some help through the locks. I headed on up to L 19 and no sooner had I stopped the boat inside the chamber, than the rain started. I stuck the kettle on and rolled a few smokes while I was waiting for the rain to stop and just as I was about to climb up onto the wheelhouse roof, a van pulls up and out hopped Eddie Flynn and Roy Smith. The 2 lads put me through the rest of the "Thomastown Flight" and we even stopped for a while and had tea. In a rush, and with 2 keepers, I would expect to clear the 8 locks in about 2 hours, but the sun had reappeared and it was too nice to be rushing, so we "snibbled" our way up in 3. All the lockgates were working well, and the levels between the locks were another bit of "canal heaven". Oh...that they were longer...!!
Came out of the top lock L 25 at 15.15hrs and back to reality with a bang. 10 minutes at half throttle for the 100 yards from the lock, through Footy's Bridge and then 70 minutes to Neads Bridge and Mary Lynchs. Lets hope that digger down at Thomastown Hbr will be visiting here soon.
Ashford Star and another boat, were "hogging" (I had to give John Lundburg a mention... LOL) the jetty at ary Mary Lynch's so I tied up to the bank just before the new bridge. WI might consider a new jetty here as the quay at the pub is quite short. Many thanks to Mick, Eddie and Roy for the assistance.

Waiting on the rain to stop

( I seem to have deleted my pic of Eddie and Roy...so here's one Holly took in Mespil Rd. on 72M, in April 2010...just to fill up a bit of space...LOL)
It's "bring us back a PARROT"..Ronnie

A long walk to the pub

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/06/2011 22:57 by Mick Farrell.
01 July, 2011 17:15
On the train heading west, alongside the canal. I left Connolly at 16.00 hours and I've just passed Mary Lynch's at 17.11. A bit quicker than on the boat..ehhh...!! Some of my "favoutite" bridges as seen from the train.

MW&W)F

A "Triumph" of Modern Engineering....and it looks ugly too

Louisa Bridge hides it's shame

02 July, 2011 21:46
Took a break from ploughing the Royal yesterday and today. Went to Lanesboro yesterday evening for the "Rambler got through" party and spent today on Lough Ree on several boats. John Denver used to sing that "Some Days are Diamonds", today certainly was. Thanks to all the skippers who had me aboard. More when I get some pics loaded...!!

Rachel Leech

David Miller

Cormac Kenny

03 July, 2011 21:44
Hi Mick
You are looking at a few shallow bits on you way along the summit level. There seems to be very little water coming in from Lough Owel and what's coming in through the pigs nostrils is only a trickle. they are pumping into the canal just past Mary Lynch's but its only a couple of hoses worth.
There were a few shallow bits going into Mullingar and one very bad bit about a kilometer before Coolnahay. Ashford Star was down to 2 Kmh pushing through that bit.

I noticed that they have the 2 land racks half up at Coolnahay and locked in that position letting a lot of water down. There is tons of water downstream from there with every lock having water going over the gates. Maybe you could persuade WI to close the racks and raise the summit level for you.

Cheers
John
Ashford Star
04 July, 2011 02:09
Thanks John,

I see Fritz is back in the race now and is just past me at your old mooring spot (pic. when daylight resumes). I'm told the stop planks for the motorway bridge here, are stored right alongside where I'm moored. Working on a cunning plan to dam the summit level behind me....LOL...(Thanks for the idea Tommy)

M(W&W)F
Re: 31B's Green And Silver Voyage.
05 July, 2011 07:53
Hi Mick,

I've done a bit more on 'MF and 31B', including a few 'action' photo's... especially the ones outside the pub window! cool smiley

I hope you enjoy them all... compliment of the 'wet raincoats'... winking smiley

Cheers,
AJ aka Vossie

[ouchmybackhurts.wordpress.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2011 07:54 by AJ Vosse.
05 July, 2011 19:29
Great pic from Mrs Vossie.

I'll have to include the lack of depth alongside the pub in my list of snags for WI. I really wanted to accept the pint on me back deck and not have to put a plank out. Still, I suppose when your aground in the middle of the canal, what can one expect.......!!!

M(W&W)F
08 July, 2011 10:04
I'm wondering... have you holed up somewhere close by? Longing for your errant crew? Here's a wee reminder as supplied by the good lady... cool smiley

08 July, 2011 10:16
Still at Neads Bridge Vossie. Got a bit lazy this week after a good weekend on Ree...NOT having to bate me way under bridges....LOL The kids are also at an age where the have the odd "social event" to attend. Back down this afternoon when we may continue the trek accross the summit.....(does'nt that look exciting)....though it has started raining....LOL

M(W&W)F
08 July, 2011 22:26
Made me 1st attempt at Neads Bridge this evening. Spent about 30 mins getting the back of the boat in under the bridge then got jammed tight. Then spent another 30 mins getting back out. There's about 6 inchs or so each side of the hull to the concrete sides of the bridge, above the water. Below the water is a different story. I'm hoping its only muck and limescale and not concrete......because there is'nt 12' 9" between it....!!

M(W&W)F
08 July, 2011 23:30
Mick,
31B's twin is watching with interest. We're contemplating a snibble up the
royal sometime this season. Would be nice to know that we fit.

Eunice
4B

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 10:26 PM, IWAI forum Mick Farrell wrote:

> Posted at: [www.iwai.ie]
> Mick Farrell wrote:
>
> Made me 1st attempt at Neads Bridge this evening. Spent about 30 mins
> getting the back of the boat in under the bridge then got jammed tight.
> Then spent another 30 mins getting back out. There's about 6 inchs or so
> each side of the hull to the concrete sides of the bridge, above the water.
> Below the water is a different story. I'm hoping its only muck and
> limescale and not concrete......because there is'nt 12' 9" between it....!!
>
> M(W&W)F
>
09 July, 2011 03:42
Hi Mick
Faoi Dheireadh spent a half an hour under that bridge so maybe the obstruction is in the middle somewhere.
John
09 July, 2011 03:51
M
An underwater survey is called for . Could those people you had on the Dublin Rally be brought into assist ?
John
09 July, 2011 09:22
Nead's Bridge.....Day 2.

Eunice,

By all accounts your safe to Coolnahay. Float 3 has been through Nead's but although wider, I'm not sure if she has the depth to really count. Problem here (so far) seems to be with the sides rather than underneath. When stuck the boats rising and dropping depending on power being used, but I cant swing her @#$%& at all (which is how I usually flatten the shite). Rambler was winched through and Rud Eile may have had a tractor. Will report back later in the day...!!

M(W&W)F

PS....Could the bridge just be being obstinate because we're spelling its name incorrectly...??

Sign on Mary Lynch's...!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2011 21:07 by Mick Farrell.
09 July, 2011 09:28
I surveyed it yesterday evening John. It's broken....LOL Did I see Faoi Dheireadh up in Quigleys last weekend...?

M(W&W)F
09 July, 2011 09:52
You did indeed . Now on the hard getting prop ,shaft and bearing repaired. Faoi Dheireadh is now retired from canal duties !
John
09 July, 2011 13:06
Attempt 2.......

Got the boat in about 3 foot less than last night. It seems there's a concrete buttress at the foot of the side walls, angled at about 45 degress, starting about two foot beneath the surface. There definately is'nt 12' 9" width at 3' 4" depth. I estimate I'd need the level up by at least 3 inches to have any chance of getting through but it seems that the level can't be raised due to a dodgy bank somewhere ahead. (If only I had a few gas filled Zorbs tied to the boat...LOL). I don't intend to drag the turns of the bilges along 70 odd feet of concrete....Soooooo....What Next Skippers....?

Time for a bit of lunch and a rethink. So much for the dimensions in the guide....!!!

M(W&W)F

PS.....Famous authour, canal anorak and market stall hucksters, Vossie & Son Ltd., are on board today, so I dare say this'll get a mention on his blog [www.ouchmybackhurts.wordpress.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2011 16:22 by Mick Farrell.
09 July, 2011 16:45
Attempt 3.....

"The new road bridge, replacing Nead's Bridge, was finished in 1975. The original plans did not allow full navigational clearance but, following representations from the IWAI, the Minister for Local Government at the time,Mr Tully intervened and Westmeath County Council agreed to his request to alter the plans. This was a turning point in the campaign for the restoration of the canal and, thereafter, permission for non-navigable bridges over the canal was refused."

Guide to the Royal Canal of Ireland.

As measured today...there is 12 foot plus airdraft, 13' 10" width (at deck level) and, due to the angled butresses, less than 12' 9" at 3' 4" deep. Either someone mis-defined "full navigational clearence" or, bearing in mind that the level was 18 inches below the top of Lock 25, there's a foot and a half of water missing off this level...!!!

Nead's Bridge....the end of 31B's Green And Silver Voyage...???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2011 16:05 by Mick Farrell.
09 July, 2011 17:19
Mick,
Surely a mere bridge will not be an end to 31B's voyage. I'm sure you will
find a solution to this new obstace. Not your year for bridges????

Eunice

On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 4:45 PM, IWAI forum Mick Farrell
wrote:

> Posted at: [www.iwai.ie]
> Mick Farrell wrote:
>
> Attempt 3.....
>
> "The new road bridge, replacing Nead's Bridge, was finished in 1971. The
> original plans did not allow full navigational clearance but, following
> representations from the IWAI, the Minister for Local Government at the
> time,Mr Tully intervened and Westmeath County Council agreed to his request
> to alter the plans. This was a turning point in the campaign for the
> restoration of the canal and, thereafter, permission for non-navigable
> bridges over the canal was refused."
>
> Guide to the Royal Canal of Ireland.
>
> As measured today...there is 12 foot plus airdraft, 13' 10" width (at deck
> level) and, due to the angled butresses, less than 12' 9" at 3' 4" deep.
> Either someone mis-defined "full navigational clearence" or, bearing in
> mind that the level was 18 inches below the top of Lock 25, there's a foot
> and a half of water missing off this level...!!!
>
> Nead's Bridge....the end of 31B's Green And Silver Voyage...???
>
>
>

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 34
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 6 on 02 July, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017