Locations of visitors to this page

31B's Green And Silver Voyage.

Posted by Mick Farrell 
Re: Re: 31B's Green And Silver Voyage.
31 July, 2011 12:03
Hi Mick

Welcome to the "proper" Royal Canal!
Not far now...
Hope to see you under way somewhere tomorrow! Taking junior for one of our traditional walks along the canal bank. Who knows, we might even push a gate for you if we time it right!
Are you planning to rejoin the Shannon tomorrow?

Duncan
Re: 31B's Green And Silver Voyage.
31 July, 2011 14:59
More pics from yesterday. The canal may be getting better but Vodafones signal is very patchy....!!

Abbeyshrule International...

Inny Water

Outy Water

Oooops....did I do that....??

31 July, 2011 15:03
Hi Duncan,

Hope to get tp Richmond tomorrow, lifting bridges permitting. Call in for the tea if passing. Stopped in Ballybrannigan Hbr for lunch and to resupply...!!

M(W&W)F
31 July, 2011 20:40
Getting closer now...!! Tied up in Mosstown Hbr. for the evening. Going was mostly good today but the section from Longford Bridge to Lock 40 could use a dredging. A bit of spot dredging would be useful on the insides of the bends along the wiggley bit from Abbeyshrule to Ballybrannigan Hbr. Thanks again to Mick Taylor for locking me through today.

M(W&W)F

Mosstown Hbr.....

Passing traffic...Longford Bridge...

Passing traffic...Pake Bridge

31 July, 2011 21:23
I think you're having it too good down there in the west... about time you get yourself back here to where the water flows in the right direction... 31B was always a lady for the challenge! ;-)
01 August, 2011 18:49
Left Mosstown Hbr around 11.00 and met up with John Loddick at Lock 41. John brought me as far as Lock 44. The levels were all good to here. Had a little snibble up the Longford Branch....all 100 feet of it...!! The level below Lock 44 as far as Ballydrum Bridge is pretty poor considering it's only recently dredged/built. The slopes of the banks are too shallow. Arrived at Begnagh Lift Bridge at 15.15 and waited for Paddy Dixon to arrive. Whoever designed this setup needs a good kick in the @#$%&. Boats dont have hinges in the middle, why put a bend between the 2 bridges, not to mention the wildlife operated automatic lifting system which has had to be de-activated and there's no way ashore from the waiting jetty...!! On through the Bord Na Mona Lift bridge and cleared through Lock 45 at 16.30 hrs............Ohhh...guess who dropped in for tea....??

Me film crew finally arrives...John Loddick on left...

Snibbling up the Longford Branch...all 100 ft of it.....

Begnagh Lift Bridge..."Lock Hard"...!!

Why the bend between...?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2011 22:51 by Mick Farrell.
01 August, 2011 19:04
Bord Na Mona Lift Bridge....

Nearly there...The Ais Eiri, 54M, just outside Richmond...

Duncan drops in for tea...!!

01 August, 2011 19:30
[u][/u]
31B's Royal Canal Oddessy

06.00 hrs., May 21, 2011 to 17.00 hrs., Aug 1, 2011

Veni....Vidi....Vici....!

Passing under Richmond Bridge...

Richmonb Hbr...

01 August, 2011 20:03
Michael WW Farrell
For three months and countless photos you have been there
Through 128 postings and 3100 viewers you were there
Like death and taxes you were there
And now--- and now---the end
Is there any chance, any chance at all, that you would do another lap, just to let us down gently
01 August, 2011 20:55
Serious Well Dones Michael. While the rest of us were scoffing our smoked salmon sangwitches, you were ploughing your lonely furrow....

Come off it boy - at least you had a boat under you; all I had was me feet, 70,000 of them.

Good to meet you at Mt. Jerome. See ya soon.

Jim
01 August, 2011 20:56
Please...please... pretty please??? Go around again... Please cool smiley
01 August, 2011 22:44
Noel, Jim, Vossie......

Sure it's not even half time yet...I still have to get back to Dublin, though I do expect the Grand to be less "eventfull".....HBA CIC is on this week...hereabouts as it happens...and the Shannon to Snn Hbr....might even get in a quick go on Derg....there's a few more miles to go before the fat lady opens her gob...!!

M(W&W)F
01 August, 2011 23:27
Well done 31B , crew and helpers, in Dublin for a night to catch up myself, hope to see ye in a day or two,
Joe.
01 August, 2011 23:47
You survived the Shannon Rally then Joe.....all that "snakeing" around in warpaint...!! "Buckley" Bridge was an interesting notion.....!!!

M(W&W)F
02 August, 2011 10:43
Hi Mick

Glad to hear you're heading back to the smoke...
That at least leaves us the hope that you might be persuaded to come back along the Royal!
After all, who better to check whether your "issues" have been sorted?

Duncan
02 August, 2011 12:38
Plans already in the pipeline for a West to East transit next year Duncan......subject to certain works having been attended to by WI. Otherwise its back to the "good" canal for travelling to and from Dublin...!!!

M(W&W)F
02 August, 2011 14:23
Fair play Mick
All the crew from the Ramber on the Royal Canal 2011 wish you well done, John C sen , John C Jr, Evan C And Ben Treacy, Joe Treacy,
Hope to see you soon
Evan C
02 August, 2011 15:48
Thanks Evan,

Hope to do a bit of the HBA CIC this week...if I can find out where it's going to be. Kapitan Goz Unders is the Kommador and seems to be treating it with all the secrecy of a WWII u-boat mission....!!

M(W&W)F
02 August, 2011 16:12
Good God, man, don't go calling it that on a public forum!!!
Everyone will want to try it.
Haven't the whole HBA spent the last few years convincing everyone that it barely qualifies for the title "canal" and that major works need to be carried out before anything resembling a boat should risk it?
Leave it with the proper name and it'll be grand...
Donning flak jacket now

Duncan
02 August, 2011 19:12
Ehhh..."good" in inverted comma's Duncan. Another mucky ditch no doubt, but one that the HBA have been ploughing and flattening for the last 10 years. It makes a big difference...!!

M(W&W)F

PS....WI have done the odd small bit too.....LOL
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 28
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 13 on 26 February, 2013
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 154 on 08 December, 2012