Inland Waterways Association of Ireland

The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

craftinsure.ie

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

4E 'Going back to her roots'.

Posted by joe treacy 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: 4E 'Going back to her roots'.
03 November, 2011 18:21
Mick , in answer to your question, there were stonemason and carpenters " cards " in action but word has been passed on.

Vossie, nice pics thanks, and a pleasure to have you. On this trip I have remarked on the amount of Herons and the fact that they are quite tame [ brave ?]. Twice myself and Ben have witnessed a Heron catch a fish and eat it within a few yards of us . Lots of times they have stood on the bank as 4E passed by.

This one from Ben of one that actually flew alongside the moving boat to catch fish.

This one was sitting on a bridge parapet above us and only flew off as we came under and I pointed the camera at him.

And this lovely one from Vossie only flew as I walked towards it .

07 November, 2011 21:40
Vossie has kindly given me his shots of the final leg of our journey for this season and I will share some with you.
First off is the multi-arched "Jackson's Bridge" with 4E in the chamber of Lock 14.

This is the stretch which follows, as we approach Maynooth through "Bond Bridge".

On the way towards Lock 13 at Leixlip.

The jetty on the city side of Lock 13.

08 November, 2011 23:35
It was great to meet yourself your son and 4E last week,great reporting on the whole trip, look forward to meeting up again some-time in the future
09 November, 2011 07:11
Sean ,

you are welcome aboard at any time just sorry the particular day at Hill of Downs we were on the way home. Did hear you were at the Hatch last weekend - keep it up, the dream will happen. Small group with these larger ladies but they are all willing to open out to people.

Joe.

P.S "Is feidir leat" - [my dream happened ].

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/11/2011 07:12 by joe treacy.
12 April, 2012 20:01

The Winter has passed and the project finished ( ish !!), and the day dawned where the photos you dream about are available. A lovely sunny day with good company - Snark and Hawthorn - and all tucked in for the evening at Lock 10 Ashtown. That bridge is to be tested on Saturday morning , anyone who wants to witness it - come on down!
The next step on our journey is to the Blackwood Feeder from where 4E was taken in 1955 to go to the Royal Canal in Longford as a maintenance boat. I will fill in the gaps from Confey when I get a chance, in the meantime - happy and safe boating to everyone.

Joe.
12 April, 2012 20:16
Seems WI know yis are on the way...!!

M(W&W)F

12 April, 2012 20:17
Wow Joe that last photo is awesome. thumbs up

Like the other pics, but the last one should be a poster or the front cover of IWN, or front cover of the national transport guide.

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin
12 April, 2012 21:08
The taking of 'that' picture - Joe T goes free running:

12 April, 2012 22:26
Great set of photos Joe.That new wheelhouse looks great.Well done

Hope the ghosts are still with you.

PJ
12 April, 2012 22:37
awesome stuff,

dave
12 April, 2012 23:06
Looking Great Joe,
Prize winning photo
Hope the trip in goes well
12 April, 2012 23:10
What a photo its fab, and as for the wheelhouse well done you have been busy this winter.
13 April, 2012 00:11
Hi Joe, the M50 shot is fantastic, you should sell it to the papers.
and 'the new funny looking shed' looks great.

for those not in the know, 'the shed' refers to Joes son calling my new wheelhouse by that name (not Ben, the older one), a few years (well maybe more than a few) ago.

Les 41M
13 April, 2012 00:22
Brilliant stuff Joe and a classic photo shot, I suspect we will see it again...!
Having seen the wheelhouse in its "raw state" the finished product looks really well.
10 out of 10 to the apprentice !
Hope to drop in on ye all in Dublin in the not too distant future.
PS: Just might have the camera with me........

Rgds
Richard
13 April, 2012 22:02
4E looking great - great pic over M50

- is the flag pole broken?

Beth
Aqualegia
15 April, 2012 20:02
Thanks to you all for your support and 4E is safely in Grand Canal Dock after a great trip into Dublin, there was a lot of last minute stuff before the off and it all held together thankfully. Beth we didn't put mast up but a flag pole was in action.

Joe.

I will fill in the gaps (soon!)

16 April, 2012 00:13
Great Joe that you got in safely. I was looking earlier at the pics that Ben put up on Facebook, there is a new "P.R.O. " in the making there Joe.... Well done both of ye....

Rgds
Richard
16 April, 2012 12:31
Agreed Richard, it is quite the collection. I promised to fill in the gaps so this is the start of it. 4E was very quickly scrambled to action with the impending bridge lift date, so set sail with internals very unfinished.

I didn't mention before but the Confey Winter community, who are much depleted and soon to be gone altogether, were very gratefull for the hospitallity of the RCAG and to show this a couple of days were spent giving the boat house a much needed lick of paint.

So 10.30 am on Thursday after our five month winter lay-up, we set off in convoy ( Snark, 4E and Hawthorn ) and with Ashtown as our goal our day was a lovely one to travel the canal. The WI crews were still in evidence from Clonsilla and a huge job has been done on the deep sinking which is a difficult area to get at and full marks to them for a job well done.

16 April, 2012 12:38
Congrats Joe. Btw, that fabulous M50 photo is one of the best photo's I've ever seen. The Irish Times would bite your hand off for a shot like that. I hope it gets the exposure it deserves. It would also make a great poster for IWAI events and publicity.

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin
16 April, 2012 12:50
The Deep Sinking at Clonsilla is a special place on a good day and we certainly had one, the first two pics are from Ben who was bank crawling, the third is from Giles who had slipped into the middle after we had a little diesel scare.

The 12th lock at Castleknock was our first since October 2011 and was handled easily with Des in attendance. The sun brought out the 'gongoozelers' in droves which adds to the atmosphere and good practice when heading townwards.

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 19
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017