The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

Allianz Boat Insurance

Barrowline Cruisers

Jennifers Travels

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

4E 'Going back to her roots'.

Posted by joe treacy 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
4E 'Going back to her roots'.
15 August, 2011 21:54
Hi all,
on Oct.13th 1980 I completed the purchase of 4E where she lay at Ledwith's Bridge on the Royal Canal, just west of Ballynacargy. There were several work party week-ends to prepare her for a crane-out and road trip to Tullamore to be dropped into the Grand Canal and conversion. I have always wished to return her to this spot and get some up-to-date pictures.I have just recently [ in Abbeyshrule] been given the names of the three men who worked her as a maintenance boat prior to the major breach in the mid 50's and her being trapped on that level. In making this trip it is hoped to gather as much information from the 1950's as possible locally.
My sincere thanks to the RCAG , IWAI and WI people who made this trip a possibility. Any information from the period would be much appreciated.

Joe.

Autumn 1980 and the scene from Ledwith's Bridge as the 'wheel kicking' begins!

Sid Shine [ the Fox ] brought in for expert advice.

Hanging over Kelly's Bridge waiting for the trailer, after lifting out of the derelict 38th lock chamber.

In Richmond Harbour yesterday, about to begin the re-visit.
Re: 4E 'Going back to her roots'.
15 August, 2011 22:04
Joe,

I think the trip back to her former grave should be filmed for future generations.

Regards

Tom
Ida
15 August, 2011 22:08
Delighted to hear it Joe....and I can confirm that Lock 38 is now fully functional...!

M(W&W)F

PS.....We will, of course, be expecting many pics of the voyage...!

Lock 38 at 17.59 hrs, 30/7/11

15 August, 2011 22:13
Good luck Joe. Enjoy punctuating this part of 4E's history. smiling smiley Hope you really enjoy and get the weather. It's a great story.

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin
15 August, 2011 22:17
Hi Joe,

Good luck! When do you hope to be at Lock 38 and do you plan going any further?

Cheers,
Vossie
Re: Re: 4E 'Going back to her roots'.
15 August, 2011 22:36
All the best Joe, history in the making !!

Bubbles sends his best aswell.

Rgds...Mark
15 August, 2011 22:47
Thanks for the good wishes and the encouragement to tell another 'good news story'. A couple more from my collection. 38th lock chamber was a sorry sight and the second is the 'mark of 4E' two years later!
Joe.
Ps. Vossie, it will be in the next week or two as am trying to organize an aerial shot through 'Rambler' connections in Abbeyshrule.The 'ouch my.....' story is a bit bare down this end so why not come on down.

15 August, 2011 23:50
Great story in the making Joe. It must be fantastic to achieve an ambition such as this.
Congrats and best wishes for the trip
R

Rgds
Richard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/08/2011 23:51 by Richard Ellis.
15 August, 2011 23:57
WE will be with you in spirit Joe. Good luck with the voyage.

PJ ,Maura and Conlaodh.
16 August, 2011 00:23
Cut a good track Joe, thinkin seriously of following you.

Les 41m
16 August, 2011 00:33
Les,

Ahhh go on...go on, go on, go on, go on, go on. PJ....your chance to be there in more than spirit....??

M(W&W)F
16 August, 2011 00:52
Hmmmmm......

I'm more than half tempted meself...would that be a Green & Green & Silver Voyage or a Green & Silver & Silver one...??

M(W&W)F
16 August, 2011 00:52
Mick, My old barge wont be ready till next year. Also that lovely engine sound is because she's only running on three cylinders.So I'm waiting for a certain well known mechanic to work on her her[ hiya F. Hope the back's better]
However, if Les wants crew, I'm available.

PJ
16 August, 2011 08:10
Joe,

As I've said so many times, when it comes to practical, mechanical, boaty work, I'm two or three tinnies short of a six-pack.

BUT TO SEE WHAT YOU DRAGGED OUT OF THE 38TH LOCK AND WHAT YOU HAVE NOW STILL MAKES MY JAW DROP IN SHEER ADMIRATION. IT'S NOT JUST THE MECHANICAL/TECHNICAL SKILLS ALL YOU GENIUSES BRING TO THESE RESTORATIONS, IT'S THE NAKED DOGGED BLOODY TENACITY TO KEEP AT IT FOR YEARS TO MAKE YOUR VISION FLOAT. NEVER, NEVER FOR ME BUT WELL DONE!

PJN PJN, - dont go away; back to more mundane, nay criminally serious, matters:-

You wrote :- "However, if Les wants crew, I'm available.

PJ"

How many times, young man, must you be reminded that you are encroaching on my age-old exclusive preserve. This is the last (civil) warning you'll get. I have a few heavies like Noel Manning and Big Dave ready and willing to carry out my orders.....

Cadger.
16 August, 2011 09:29
What a fantastic result, congratulations!
Perhaps there may yet be hope for Longford No53.
Surveyor

16 August, 2011 10:02
Really stunned by all the good 'vibes' and am confident enough this trip will go well, I have rambled it recently ! Don't know what to say about being chased up the canal , but there is loads of water .
Surveyor, yes the Longford boat is a sad sight at the moment and hard to find a reason why it stays there getting worse. There is a strange relationship with 4E as both boats have the same build structure.

Joe.

16 August, 2011 11:43
Hi Joe,

Fabulous story in the making. Looking forward to reading the updates....and keep the pics coming.

Best wishes.

Paul,
"Arthur"
16 August, 2011 13:38
Joe I envy you your heritage. I will have to live another hundred odd years to tell Mollies story in the same way So go to it, write the story of 4E
RE: Re: 4E 'Going back to her roots'.
16 August, 2011 13:30
Just supposing my Lotto numbers came up & just supposing I'm useless
with my hands (which I am) & I outsourced all the work, how much would a
restoration job on the Longford boat set one back? - I know it depends
on spec etc but just for the fun. Might as well dream here as in bed.

Terry
16 August, 2011 14:34
Just a little of the background before going up- country, the trouble with this excercise is the 'thing' has to be fed - but it is enjoyable and there will be a return.
I was put on the trail of 4E after getting out of a bidding frenzy for Chang Sha which subsequently went to the 'combine' pre Colin. 4E was owned by Robertstown Muintir Na Tire and the purchase was drawn -out as it involved a written offer to a committee.Eventually £1800 was accepted and removal of debris in the hold, began and craning/ haulage enquiries made. A local farmer towed her along the stretch as far as the 38th lock with his tractor and the only damage was fixable [ pot mender !].After a failed attempt with a crane company, the successful lift onto a 'trombone trailer' and transport to Tullamore [ via Mullingar and Kilbeggan ] completed in the same day. She was floated into the inner harbour where the 15hp evinrude outboard off 'Nousha 2' was fitted and the trip towards Dublin for conversion began.
A couple of the 31year old pics below which I scanned only last night and regret not doing years ago and getting them restored , however I will do something now.

Joe.

The 'lift in' at Tullamore - there were no trees along the canal bank at that time !

4E and Nousha 2 at the 13th lock as work removing what was left of the timber decks, began. Nousha 2 [ a 22ft. Teal ] was sold to Liam D'Arcy who subsequently went on to serve in high office in IWAI.

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 22
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017