The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

craftinsure.ie

Barrowline Cruisers

Deakin Marine

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

4E 'Going back to her roots'.

Posted by joe treacy 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: 4E 'Going back to her roots'.
25 August, 2011 00:11
Never noticed that at all Joe. I was too busy willing the boat to rise up on the muck in the bottom of the chamber without resorting to full throttle. I really hate having to open her up when there's a stone/concrete cill only 80 feet ahead...!! There was a scaffolding tower either side of the bridge on the way in too. One corner was built on top of a short length of scaffolding plank which overhung the canal by about 6 inches. I gave it a dunt on the way past but only managed to knock it back about 3 inches. When considered along with the scaffolding poles overhanging Spencer Dock under Mayor St Luas Bridge, by a foot and a half, last May, it does tend to suggest that scaffolders need a course in "Canal Awareness"....!!

M(W&W)F
25 August, 2011 05:45
Now that is a shambles. An accident waiting to happen.

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin
25 August, 2011 12:27
Morning all,
and getting back on track [ nice day in Tullamore yesterday] , the original goal for me was to get 4E back to Ledwith's Bridge, Royal canal, where I first saw her in 1980 and took a few photographs. I want to take up-to-date pics and dig into the history of her time [25 yrs. ?] here.
The physical job of getting her here is of course ,only recently possible, and by barge I am certainly not the first. The RCAG's "Float 3" is running through in a near regular service. People might have spotted her in Dublin in Spring and she has just last week been in Richmond with the "Western Rally". 31B of course with Mick[WW] Farrell , has been this way and today lies in Tullamore en-route east on the Grand. Rambler travelled down recently and certainly left memories locally that are of definite help to me.

Try this [heritageboatassociation.ie] The story of physically getting Rambler from Dublin to Richmond and some shots of the hard worked crew.

All in all it is a time for canals and especially for the Royal, a well deserved renaissance.
To move on from Abbeyshrule, I just couldn't resist these seats along the bank [segregation or ?]

The fabulous Aqueduct over the River Inny has had an upgrade on the northern side which makes driving across it more comfortable.

This is "Bog Bridge", which like Ledwith's Bridge is simply an accomodation bridge to cross the canal. No roads or lanes link with them, yet they are substantial and my guess is that the vast "Ballymaglavy bog" at one time supported a lot of turf-cutters who needed access points.

So this is it . Having crossed Ballymaglavy bog and crossed the River Blackwater, I approach Ledwith's Bridge, where 4E lay in about a foot of water in 1980.

Joe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/08/2011 12:58 by joe treacy.
25 August, 2011 13:24
Congratulations Joe. A wonderfully nostalgic moment. Loved following your 'voyage home' to the rebirth place of 4E. smiling smiley Thirty one years later, some achievement.

25 August, 2011 14:53
Well done Joe.....BUT.....seeing as you've gone that far.......????

Rud Eile, Ebenhaezer, Blackthorn and a heap of big "Shannon" type boats have also done the business on the Royal.

As I said to Les recently......Ahhhhh Go On, Go On, Go On, Go On, Go On, Go on......!!!

M(W&W)F
25 August, 2011 15:00
Thanks Noel and Dick , and of course Mick, as I said , returning the boat was the easy bit, gathering the info was the real challenge. From talking to Joe Sullivan [ WI engineer ] in Tullamore yesterday ,I left armed with enough phone numbers to end up with the fact that a son of a 4E crew-man , lives in Abbeyshrule .

So onwards with the pictures ! This thread started with my 1980 shot, so I now have those that follow!

The real challenge would be to up- date this one ?

Joe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/08/2011 15:03 by joe treacy.
25 August, 2011 17:26
Re. the scaffolding issue in Tullamore, mentioned above....I e-mailed Shane Anderson about them last night. His first reply was at 08.28 and his second at 10.06. See....I told 'yis the Grand was better...LOL

M(W&W)F

Good Morning Mick,

As mentioned I passed this to the relevant engineer. They have since advised the consultant engineering company of the incident and have been advised to inspect and modify the scaffolding prior to further use.

Thanks again for the e-mail.

Rgds

Lt Cdr. Shane Anderson

Assistant Inspector of Navigation,

Canal Maintenance Depot,

Harbour Street,

Tullamore,

Co. Offaly.

+ 353 (0) 87 286 57 26

Sent: 24 August 2011 23:51
To: Shane Anderson
Subject: Scaffold towers downstream of Lock 27

Dear Shane,

Not certain if this is your baby, but perhaps you could forward if not.

Please be advised that the left hand scaffolding tower (heading upstream) below Lock 27 in Tullamore, has one corner built on a short length of scaffold plank, which was overhanging the canal by about 6 inches. The overhanging plank came into contact with 31B's hull as I was entering the lock today and was moved back 3 inches and shunted forward. Perhaps you could inform whomsoever is using the scaffolding to check the tower for stability before using and possibly mention the inherent dangers, of leaving overhanging obstructions, to both passing vessels and the users of the scaffolding.

Best Regards

Mick Farrell

Master

Canalboat 31B
25 August, 2011 17:38
"MASTER MICK FARRELL" no less !! aside from that, yes you followed correct procedure and I would be confident that action will be taken. Up till the present time, I have not found it necessary to contact the authorities on the Royal Canal and feel hopeful I won't have a need.

Joe.thumbs up
25 August, 2011 17:49
Quote:
joe treacy
Thanks Noel and Dick , and of course Mick, as I said , returning the boat was the easy bit, gathering the info was the real challenge. From talking to Joe Sullivan [ WI engineer ] in Tullamore yesterday ,I left armed with enough phone numbers to end up with the fact that a son of a 4E crew-man , lives in Abbeyshrule .
So onwards with the pictures ! This thread started with my 1980 shot, so I now have those that follow!

[attachment 1892 scan0002.jpg]
[attachment 1893 eurika017.JPG]
[attachment 1894 eurika029.JPG]

The real challenge would be to up- date this one ?

Joe.

[attachment 1895 scan0001.jpg]

Hi joe,

Congrates on your trip.

There is a company based (i think) in Athlone who you can hire to take aeriel photos. They use a model aircraft with a camera attached and have taken some excellent shots. Maybe you've heard of them already, but if not their web site is www.photoflight.ie. It could be one way of getting an up to date shot of the black & white aeriel pic of 4E. I dont know much about the company or how much it would cost, but it may be worth giving them a shout.

Kind Regards,

Liam.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/08/2011 21:00 by osprey.
25 August, 2011 19:03
No Joe......

Not "MASTER MICK FARRELL"......but "MICK FARRELL, MASTER".....sure ya' have to have a title....LOL
I do recall looking at some copies of GCC or CIE docs in Sean O' Reilly's one night and thats how the skippers were refered to. Conor Nolan did suggest "Master & Commander....the Far Side of Nead's Bridge", but I'm too lazy to type all that on a regular basis...!!

As regards Grand Vs Royal, (or the Ahhh, sure it'll be Grand canal) it is Louisa Bridge that I was alluding to...!!

M(W&W)F
4E 'Going back to her roots'
25 August, 2011 13:43
Well done Joe!
Re: Re: 4E 'Going back to her roots'.
26 August, 2011 00:32
Hi Joe

Apologies for dropping off the radar last weekend.
I got an offer I couldn't refuse, involving doing a little boating myself.
Just back and dealing with 142 emails that have arrived during my absense.
May also be boating this weekend, but if not, will go looking for you.
Well done and thanks a million for all the effort and associated information you've been giving us.

Duncan
26 August, 2011 08:28
Morning all,

and so to the "big picture", thank you Liam for the model plane photo outfit details, definitely one to keep in mind. Got a welcome visitor who was on the canal by boat to visit [ low and behold ] "Abbeyshrule Air Show" and with assurances of a plane ride, I got myself up to the action.

And it was an extremely busy day. Through Tile Films who had used aircraft from here,I had an introduction to David Bruton who within minutes of our meeting, promised to fit me in at some point. The boating Johnny Maloney [ we had crossed paths in Drumsna ] arrived and talked to those in charge and organised a trip in this beauty.

So sitting in the back, beside the door, with the sliding window! with Paul piloting from his "nose-cone seat" up front, I headed up to get the long desired photo.

Joe.

26 August, 2011 08:44
FANTASTIC. Just Brilliant. thumbs up

26 August, 2011 11:14
Joe, You're some operator! I'm looking forward to seeing the results.
Are you sure you're not going into ther movie business?

PJ
26 August, 2011 11:31
Thanks Noel,

it has been an adventure and it will continue. I left 4E with a note on the window telling the story and asking for local information. This evening [ as a result of the note ] I am to meet again the local farmer whose tractor pulled 4E from Ledwith's Bridge to the 38th lock chamber for craning out. I am also to touch base with local RCAG people and do some research in Abbeyshrule and Ballynacargy.
The "Iolar" flight was of course fantastic. Johnny gave me the look over beforehand and "heritage planes" spring to mind. She is 1936 vintage and beginning in 1986 has been re-furbished and flight certified three times, the latest over last Winter in time for the Aer Lingus 75th event. A really remarkable machine with remarkable people behind it.
So to all in waiting, this is my picture after thirty one years of hope. My sincere thanks to all who have made it possible

Joe

26 August, 2011 11:56
Great stuff Joe. You are a remarkable and resourceful man.

I'd love a go in "The Iolar". Of course it's not the plane that Lingus flew in it's early days but a sister plane. It was once owned by the inspector of racecourses and flew out of Weston in the 50s,piloted by the famous Darby Kennedy. It's remarkable that it is has again been made airworthy and is a credit to all involved .

PJ
26 August, 2011 12:09
Congratulations Joe,

I have been following this thread with great interest and admiration of your resourcefulness and determination. This is definitely worthy of further telling and embellishment perhaps through Nationwide or the RTE DocOnOne programmes.

Well done again on all your achievements (so far), I'm sure there are many more to come.

Dave
26 August, 2011 12:16
PJ.

You were beside the "main man" in Drumsna, so maybe again PJ. As an aside I had left 4E in position at the bridge with what would have been a tight squeeze to get by her. I apologized in advance to a pair of Wilderness Boat crews heading east and my fear was that when up in the plane they would be wedged alongside. When I did get back the cruiser " Shannon Queen" was being manhandled through the gap. My apologies again to the very understanding owners.

Joe.

Some more from the flight.

26 August, 2011 12:17
Joe,

Me hats off to you....!!

M(W&W)F

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 22
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017