The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

craftinsure.ie

Deakin Marine

Jennifers Travels

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

4E 'Going back to her roots'.

Posted by joe treacy 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: 4E 'Going back to her roots'.
26 August, 2011 13:46
EURIKA!!!!!!!! Just marvellous. Well done Joe. Delighted for your amazing adventure. smiling smiley

Pure Magic

Ps. I had the privilege of flying with Darby Kennedy many many moons ago

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin
26 August, 2011 14:07
Absolutely amazing, well done thumbs up
26 August, 2011 16:22
Well, I think we can all pack up and go home now. - there'll be no bettering this threadeye popping smiley

Well done Joe and 4E. A truly marvellous odyessy re(Treacy)ing historywinking smiley A story so-well told, and photo-documented. One for the archives.smileys with beer Facinating stuff.

Regards

Peter
Re: Re: 4E 'Going back to her roots'.
26 August, 2011 17:16
Joe,
an incredible trip,well done to all concerned,brilliant and maybe a tad emotional.
Charlie 53m.
26 August, 2011 18:01
Joe or just Give us hug Joe,

If there is one man who would welcome any one person or persons to the waterways of Ireland and make you feel welcome.
That is Joe T or Give us a hug Joe.
But behind a great Captain there is a first mate and that is Young Ben.
He is truly a Credit to you Joe and i am sure the longford barge has been well talked about!!.

Joe i missed dropping down to you for your barge (home) cooked apple pie on this trip Due to a Hospital run!!!!! she is still holding out,
But i know and every one should know the Rambler Trip could not have happened with out Joe and Ben these two lads are two of the nice barge men i know and i am glad to have made the trip with you two lads.
You got the photos you said you would and can be added to your great collection of Photos of every Barge on the waterways of Ireland ( BEN).
Great to see the photos Joe well done you and( Breaker!!!!!!) Ben and 4E.
Chat soon
Rambler Crew
Evan
28 August, 2011 02:36
A marvellous illustrated account of a real personal achievement and also of the restoration of the canal itself, without which no return would have been possible, of course. It is so nice to be alive when such wonderful things are going on.

I was ( and am!) totally fascinated from the beginning to the end.

The sad barge in the Longford branch looks so warped that it's probably a total loss, sadly.

Tom K.
28 August, 2011 19:52
Joe,
I took the liberty of sending a selection of your wonderful photos per E-mail to a friend, Clifford Colborne, in England. He is a former Sonning-on-Thames lock keeper and has written a published book entitled 'Practical Boat Handling'. He owns a 52 foot narrow boat.
He was fascinated and has suggested that you submit your story and illustrations to 'Waterways World', where it would be well received.

Tom K.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/08/2011 03:44 by Thomas Kirby.
28 August, 2011 22:32
Now Joe, that really is "a plan coming together....." in grand style. Really happy for you Joe, it's a mammoth achievement and certainy worth documenting in the archives somewhere. Congrats and well done again.

Rgds
Richard
29 August, 2011 14:03
Many thanks for all the lovely comments and believe me the emotions are running as high in Ballynacargy / Abbeyshrule area with people coming out of the woodwork to offer information on 4E and her crew while it worked here on bank maintenance. To Watson Mills and Tom Shanley, my sincere thanks for opening the doors for my on-going research . Such was the response that plans were changed and 4E after spending the week-end in Ballynacargy was returned to below the 38th level to sit for another week.
The crew of 4E were Billy Dunne [who lived aboard ] , Tom Rafferty and Christy [ Kit ] Mitchell .Apart from the lovely stories told about this crew, I am actively looking for photos. Had the pleasure of meeting Kit Mitchell's son and the farming family [ Murtaghs ] who assisted me in the salvage in 1980. The local people are all amazing and I am heartened to still find "open doors" within our rural communities.
Thanks again for all the good wishes and "Rambler Evan" has us still blushing.

Joe.

A note in 4E's window since last week which has paid dividends.

This is one of 4E being lifted out of Lock 38 in 1980 to be carried by road to Tullamore and dropped into the Grand Canal

4E about to leave Lock 38 on Saturday and make her way up the three lock climb to Ballynacargy.

Ballynacargy for a lovely week-end , all the facilities needed [crew happy!] and a good base for driving around on our search. "Empor" and "Legan" were two of our stops and truly hidden jewels.

29 August, 2011 14:58
Free clean up !!

Paul Mc Cann

On 29 August 2011 14:03, IWAI forum joe treacy wrote:

> Posted at: [www.iwai.ie]
> joe treacy wrote:
>
> Many thanks for all the lovely comments and believe me the emotions are
> running as high in Ballynacargy / Abbeyshrule area with people coming out of
> the woodwork to offer information on 4E and her crew while it worked here on
> bank maintenance. To Watson Mills and Tom Shanley, my sincere thanks for
> opening the doors for my on-going research . Such was the response that
> plans were changed and 4E after spending the week-end in Ballynacargy was
> returned to below the 38th level to sit for another week.
> The crew of 4E were Billy Dunne , Tom Rafferty and Christy [ Kit ]
> Mitchell .Apart from the lovely stories told about this crew, I am actively
> looking for photos. Had the pleasure of meeting Kit Mitchell's son and the
> farming family [ Murtaghs ] who assisted me in the salvage in 1980. The
> local people are all amazing and I am heartened to still find "open doors"
> within our rural communities.
> Thanks again for all the good wishes and "Rambler Evan" has us still
> blushing.
>
> Joe.
>
> A note in 4E's window since last week which has paid dividends.
>
>
>
> This is one of 4E being lifted out of Lock 38 in 1980 to be carried by road
> to Tullamore and dropped into the Grand Canal
>
>
>
> 4E about to leave Lock 38 on Saturday and make her way up the three lock
> climb to Ballynacargy.
>
>
>
> Ballynacargy for a lovely week-end , all the facilities needed and a
> good base for driving around on our search. "Empor" and "Legan" were two of
> our stops and truly hidden jewels.
>
>
>
29 August, 2011 15:42
And they said it could'nt be done, Joe.......you could'nt spend a weekend in Ballynacargy without the indians attacking. Another little myth blown away...!!

M(W&W)F

PS.....Did it rain...??
29 August, 2011 18:52
That's good to her Joe. That last photo is worthy of a John Hinde post card. Fabulous looking spot.

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin
29 August, 2011 20:13
Thanks Noel and Mick,

yes an enjoyable week-end of a few locks [ up and down ] and a lot of talking with people . In case I forget, Gabriel Greer was aboard and passes on regards to the Lovegroves who suffer the same "barge madness" as ourselves. Nice chat with two backpackers who had walked the tow path from Dublin and paused in Ballynacargy for ice-cream. They hailed from Newport Co. Mayo and when questioned on whether they were walking for a charity, said they were doing it for the CRAIC ! This shot of 4E turning in the harbour to return to the 38th Lock.

These are WI weed-cutters in Ballymaglavy Bog with Ledwith's Bridge in the background as we head out to the turning point. Didn't mention before but WI patroller called by on Saturday morning, and after the usual chat with his Rambler anecdotes, left us in confidence to move to Ballynacargy.

4E turns in the "barge turn" in Ballymaglavy Bog - Rambler could not have done this !

Finally in a drive through Richmond Harbour on Saturday afternoon, this was spotted disappearing under the bridge and heading East !!!

Joe.

29 August, 2011 21:28
Hmmmmm...That's at least 3 Joe's on the Royal then....!!!

M(W&W)F
29 August, 2011 21:43
But the genuine article is scarce. Maybe this one will head for Mullingar in September ?

Joe.

29 August, 2011 22:27
Float No. 3 is certainly a genuine Royal canal name...!!

M(W&W)F
29 August, 2011 23:23
Now ,if only that master , Herr gO Zunders, would only give it a go ,we might finally have an M boat up The Royal.
There's no point in letting them young lads and lasses Byrnes ,Burkes ,Nolans and Tynans get all the glory.

PJ

Apology: I omitted Beth O Loughlin ,sorry Beth: You're on the Pill too!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 30/08/2011 13:38 by pj norris.
29 August, 2011 23:59
PJ, before Les gets any ideas that he can stick his nose up the Royal and get an easy prize. 54M (Aiseiri) has been up the Royal Canal quiet a bit of the way (maybe some one knows exactly). Besides that sure hasn't 23M gone as far as 4E did ?.

Gerry
GCC 68M
30 August, 2011 00:15
.... 76M has been to Abbeyshrule..and 68M and 72M have been in Spencer Dock...(was 74M there...?)

M(W&W)F

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/08/2011 00:18 by Mick Farrell.
30 August, 2011 10:06
Boys,

really don't want to lower this thread to a "Barge Battle", [ there is more to life than.......] but I don't think "M's" have been hard done by on the Royal. As neither GCC or CIE traded on the Royal, my feeling would be that they are visitors !
The background of Float 3 is unknown [ a project for someone ? ] and 54M sits outside Richmond and that is as far as it got [ I could be wrong?]

Another M on the Royal which is being overlooked ?

Joe.

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 19
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017