The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

Allianz Boat Insurance

Barrowline Cruisers

Jennifers Travels

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Effin Bridge - Rally

Posted by Kieran Kearns 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Effin Bridge - Rally
29 December, 2011 14:14
Hi Folks,

Just back from an enjoyable morning spent in the company of people from Dublin Branch, Kildare Branch & Power Boat Branch.

While the weather was a little wet & windy, it certainly did not stop the huge turnout enjoying the event.

It was great to see so many craft participating (about 12) with about 60 or 70 people aboard. That was without the rest of the crowd who were looking on as the boats had reached their capacity.

Well done and thanks to those people who made it all happen. You know who you are.

You are the guys who assisted everyone to launch at the slipway.

You are the guys who organised to set up the marquee and provided the catering.

You are the guys who co-ordinated the naming ceremony and arranged the lettering.

It was great to link up again with so many people who we have met over the years on the water.

On behalf of myself & John, a big thank you. Well done - take a bow.

Regards

Kieran

See photographs of the day here ... [dublin.iwai.ie]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/12/2011 15:49 by Michael Slevin.
Re: Effin Bridge - Rally
29 December, 2011 14:31
Yes indeedy, a well attended event. 12 boats and a jetski in the pic below. 2 or 3 boats did'nt launch and Spirit of Docklands dropped out due to high winds. I stopped counting at 130 people at Spencer Sea-Lock, with more arriving on foot later,(well it was a Christmas walk too) so I'd estimate about 150 in total. Weather was'nt the nicest, cool, breezy with a few heavy showers. The boats and crews paid homage to St Effin as planned but the bridge naming did'nt quite work out ( we'll get it again though...!!)

Chestnuts were roasted on a fire of some discription and wine was mulled but the "sludge soup" seemed to really hit the spot with most people....!!

As I was Master of the good ship Soup Kitchen for the day I did'nt manage too many pics so lets all put up a few...!! Many thanks to those who came out on what was'nt the nicest of days and especially to those who brought boats...!!

Mick Farrell
PRO, Dublin Branch.

PS.......WHAT HAPPENED TO PJ NORRIS....????

PPS.....Many thanks also to the HBA for the lend of the tent...!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/12/2011 14:34 by Mick Farrell.
29 December, 2011 15:07
Yes folks a hugely successful event this morning and well supported. A couple of pics below starting with the early morning set up and concluding with the naming ceremony . Weather was against us but great to meet a lot of waterways people this morning.

Joe.

Ps. PJaysus we missed ya ! !

29 December, 2011 15:43
Some more "grim" or indeed effin' photos can be found at [dublin.iwai.ie] - more/better pics wanted! - send to pics_AT_iwai.ie
While the withdrawal of the "Spirit of Docklands" was a blow to many, those in attendance seemed to understand that it was beyond our control! I've just pulled out 3 photos below to show the conditions ...

All aboard at Grand Canal Dock -

I name this bridge ...

Mick's popular "Sludge" soup

Tide is rising ... time to go!

(those on email need to click on the link above to see the photos)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2011 00:16 by Michael Slevin.
29 December, 2011 15:49
Great morning - thanks and well done to all the organisers and the hardy bunch who made it across the Liffey and into Spencer Dock - my count is 165!

Beth
Aqualegia
29 December, 2011 16:04
Looks like it was a great day, well done to all thumbs up would have loved to have been there sad smiley
29 December, 2011 16:21
Ehhhh.....I notice a lot of scaffolding hanging off the high level railway bridge in Spencer Dock in one of Michael Slevins pics. Can any one who went up to Effin Br this AM offer an estimate as to the airdraft remaining with the scaffolding in place....??

M(W&W)F

[dublin.iwai.ie]
29 December, 2011 16:33
Looked like loads to me Mick. BTW the IWAI machine played a stormer , more of this type event in planning ?

Joe.

29 December, 2011 16:41
Fair enough Joe.....just checking in case it might be an issue for boats with wheelhouses (4E for example). We're discussing a few possibilities for small boat rallies in the New Year at the moment. Hope to have a list on the Dublin Branch events page early in the New Year.
It's the bodies turning up at these events that makes the organising worthwhile...!!

M(W&W)F
29 December, 2011 16:57
Well done to all the various Branches for coming together for coming together to make a great day out on the water.

As usuals the Micks of Dublin pulled out all the stops. I hope everyone enjoyed the day, I know we did!!

I hope to see some of you at some more Dublin Events even the Dublin Rally.

Happy and Safe boating in 2012.

Greg Whelan
29 December, 2011 17:02
That soup sure hit the spot! In fact... many a spot. Thanks to all... this blow-in sure had another lesson in Irish hospitality today smiling smiley

"Would you let us out of here? St Effin's is calling..."

Many shades of grey... and a bit of history for effect...

Looks like the wind got to pushing against more than the gazebo... moody smiley

Soup masters extraordinaire... service with a smile... many a cold hand and dry throat was soothed by the 'soup special'... oh, don't forget the warm red stuff... that went down a treat as well...

More to follow on the blog at a future date...
[ouchmybackhurts.wordpress.com]
Re: Re: Effin Bridge - Rally
29 December, 2011 17:11
Hi Mick

Yes, it was a good turnout on what was a pretty rough day.
Thanks for the invite, even if we didn't get a seat on a boat in the end. We got to meet a few old friends, which was great.
We went for a stroll and got to see the object of the day's efforts from the adjacent road bridge.
We drew quite a bit of attention to ourselves, marching along the streets of the inner city in our life-jackets, but it was all good fun in the end. I wouldn't have fancied standing close to the water without them, with the wind we experienced today!
We didn't try the catering. Your "sludge soup" certainly smelled very appetising, but alas there was mulled wine right beside it, the smell of which is guaranteed to turn my stomach, so I repeatedly lost my appetite when I approached the soup station!
Next time, perhaps...
We had to forego what promised to be the highlight of the day, for me... a tour of the Cill Airne, due to having got soaked on our excursion to see the bridge. Sorry Niall!
Do keep us posted about any further activities in Spencer Dock, won't you?
The guests I was intending to bring today are still interested and would like to be shown around by someone who knows the way!
Thanks again, for a good day out...
Duncan and Stephen
29 December, 2011 17:55
Ooops.....I did forget.....Mick Kinahans wife Sheila, gave a very big dig out with the catering. I'm told she had him stirring pots of soup till all hours last night...!! Many thanks Sheila.

M(W&W)F

Vossie gets his Marching Orders...!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/12/2011 17:57 by Mick Farrell.
29 December, 2011 18:14
May the Dwane contingant add their thanks to the organisers and to the
Geraghty family who ferried us around all day. Really loved the trip
especially zooming up the Liffey - thanks Ben!
Sheila the soup was a life saver!
Photos on way.
Cathy
74M

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 5:55 PM, IWAI forum Mick Farrell
wrote:
> Posted at: [www.iwai.ie]
> Mick Farrell wrote:
>
> Ooops.....I did forget.....Mick Kinahans wife Sheila, gave a very big dig out with the catering. ? I'm told she had him stirring pots of soup till all hours last night...!! ? Many thanks Sheila.
>
> M(W&W)F
>
29 December, 2011 18:31
Video of today available at; [youtu.be]

Niall G
29 December, 2011 19:22
Big thank you to the organisers from tha Ellis Family also.
Great day out and a special special thanks to Mick whose hot soup hit exactly the right spot.
Looking forward to 2012 already

PStongue sticking out smileyics to follow as soon as I've finished the takeaway.........
R

Rgds
Richard
29 December, 2011 19:23
Quote:
Niall Galway
Video of today available at; [youtu.be]
Niall G

Great thread. Looked like a great occaision. Thanks for video and to all for photos.

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin
29 December, 2011 22:51
Many thanks also,
a great day out a trip on the Royal and the Liffey all the one day,bumping into the famous Vossie a few Micks (Slevin/kinahan/farrell) several lurkers that have real life activityeye popping smiley ,
and meeting so many folk that i know.....it was a real social occasion smiling smiley .
A great Powerboat AGM afterwards also on an electric powerboat winking smiley!
Well done to all three branches involved that organised todays get together and the members of many more that attended a really great day.
30 December, 2011 11:32
Many thanks to all who made the trip to the Effin bridge possible, from the crew of Aquarelle.

Mike & Rosaleen Miller
Aquarelle ( Now in Zaandam Holland)
30 December, 2011 12:12
A reminder of the reasons behind yesterdays jaunt up Spencer with Dick Warner's excellent prayer...!!

M(W&W)F

A BOATSMAN'S PRAYER

Saint Effin, I do thee implore,

Boatsman's rights, for ever more,

Should be respected in this nation.

Bridges of accommodation,

Or even CIE or Bord na Mona,

Should lift for each boat owner

When his craft draws near.

And all of this without the fear

Of fees or tolls exacted,

Or waiting times protracted.

Saint of the inland waterway,

Hear us when we pray.

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 13
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 6 on 02 July, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017