IWAI Backoffice

IWAI Officer's webmail

Deakin Marine

Jennifers Travels

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Ye Olde Postcard...!!

Posted by Mick Farrell 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Ye Olde Postcard...!!
18 January, 2012 20:04

A few pics of The lady of the Lake and two others ,all in or near Enniskillen.

Pj
19 January, 2012 00:01
Lovely finds PJ,

Does'nt "The Lady" put Ramblers smokey oul start up in the shade...!!

M(W&W)F
19 January, 2012 15:34
Further pictures of Lady of the Lake in Helen Lanigan book, Enniskillen Memories, these attributed to Lawrence Collection.

Re origin Round 0 name, wasted (enjoyed) last night searching Trimble ,Livingstone, Rogers and everything else on the bookshelf with no joy.

Local museum came up with what follows

''The Round O
Fermanagh County Museums Fact sheet

The Round O is a name going back more than a century and a half and refers to an area of common land alongside the River Erne to the north-west of the island of Enniskillen. The name almost certainly derives from a small pool which existed there before the water levels of Lough Erne were lowered as a result of drainage operations in the 19th century. On the first edition of the Ordnance Survey map of Enniskillen in 1834 the pool, marked ‘pool’ is shown on both sides of the boundary between the townlands of Portora and Windmill Hill. It bears the name ‘Round O’ on a map of the Borough of Enniskillen drawn by R.H.Frith in 1842 and on the second edition of the Ordnance Survey map of the town of Enniskillen in 1863 it bears the full title ‘The Round O’. On all three maps the pool is more oval than circular in shape.

In the past heavy materials such as sand and timber were transported by water to Enniskillen and the deep water at the lake shore beside the Round O made it an ideal place for these delivery boats to moor. Beamishes used to transport sand here from Castle Caldwell in a sailing boat. Timber from some of the islands of Lough Erne was also transported here in a cargo steamboat called the ‘Wide Awake’, by Johnston and Acheson who operated a sawmill nearby at Mossman’s Quay. The ‘Wide Awake’ sometimes called the ‘Kick-Behind’ had been used earlier by the firm of John Lemon and Son, Builders Providers, to transport sand and timber to their quay at the back of East Bridge Street in Enniskillen.

The Round O was also a place where goods were weighed before being admitted to the local fairs and markets. There was a steel weigh-bridge near the present entrance to the park where horse-drawn carts pulled up to have their produce weighed. It is not known when the Round O pool disappeared, but when the present pump house was built some twenty years ago, it was set on a foundation of in-filled material''

Re: Re: Ye Olde Postcard...!!
19 January, 2012 16:02
Well done Padhraic I find these little historical snippets fascinating.

Paul Mc Cann

On 19 January 2012 15:34, IWAI forum Padhraic Conneally
wrote:

> Posted at: [www.iwai.ie]
> Padhraic Conneally wrote:
>
> Further pictures of Lady of the Lake in Helen Lanigan book, Enniskillen
> Memories, these attributed to Lawrence Collection.
>
> Re origin Round 0 name, wasted (enjoyed) last night searching Trimble
> ,Livingstone, Rogers and everything else on the bookshelf with no joy.
>
> Local museum came up with what follows
>
> ''The Round O
> Fermanagh County Museums Fact sheet
>
> The Round O is a name going back more than a century and a half and refers
> to an area of common land alongside the River Erne to the north-west of the
> island of Enniskillen. The name almost certainly derives from a small pool
> which existed there before the water levels of Lough Erne were lowered as a
> result of drainage operations in the 19th century. On the first edition of
> the Ordnance Survey map of Enniskillen in 1834 the pool, marked ?pool? is
> shown on both sides of the boundary between the townlands of Portora and
> Windmill Hill. It bears the name ?Round O? on a map of the Borough of
> Enniskillen drawn by R.H.Frith in 1842 and on the second edition of the
> Ordnance Survey map of the town of Enniskillen in 1863 it bears the full
> title ?The Round O?. On all three maps the pool is more oval than circular
> in shape.
>
> In the past heavy materials such as sand and timber were transported by
> water to Enniskillen and the deep water at the lake shore beside the Round
> O made it an ideal place for these delivery boats to moor. Beamishes used
> to transport sand here from Castle Caldwell in a sailing boat. Timber from
> some of the islands of Lough Erne was also transported here in a cargo
> steamboat called the ?Wide Awake?, by Johnston and Acheson who operated a
> sawmill nearby at Mossman?s Quay. The ?Wide Awake? sometimes called the
> ?Kick-Behind? had been used earlier by the firm of John Lemon and Son,
> Builders Providers, to transport sand and timber to their quay at the back
> of East Bridge Street in Enniskillen.
>
> The Round O was also a place where goods were weighed before being
> admitted to the local fairs and markets. There was a steel weigh-bridge
> near the present entrance to the park where horse-drawn carts pulled up to
> have their produce weighed. It is not known when the Round O pool
> disappeared, but when the present pump house was built some twenty years
> ago, it was set on a foundation of in-filled material''
>
> .
>
Re: Re: Ye Olde Postcard...!!
19 January, 2012 17:16
Good stuff Padhraic. I wonder is this it in the 1840's map...?

[maps.osi.ie]

M(W&W)F
19 January, 2012 18:10
Yes on the townland boundary with the later maps naming it
19 January, 2012 21:03
Surprised it was'nt called the Pear Shape or the Tear Drop so. I wonder was that cut in from the river navigable....??

M(W&W)F
13 March, 2012 08:20
Hi all,

came accross this yesterday and remembering a discussion earlier regarding boats moored between Butt Bridge and O'Connell Bridge, felt it would be of interest. The view is from Butt bridge looking up-river.

Joe.

13 March, 2012 20:31
Joe,

Thanks for sharing that image.

My only recollection of any boats moored on that stretch of the liffey were the little ferries that served further downstream and which were operated up until the east link opened (I think).

I wonder what ever happened to them. Were they a CIE operation?

Regards

Kieran
14 March, 2012 11:38
I think this heritage is just brilliant, well done all for digging them up.

Dave
14 March, 2012 11:58
Kieran wrote: I wonder what ever happened to them. Were they a CIE operation?

Colin>>>I remember them too but my dad would never take me on them. I think he felt they were unsafe or too grubby or something. I think they were run by the Port & Docks Board. At least one has survived that I know of and has been converted to a pleasure boat based on the Shannon.

Colin
22 March, 2012 12:26
Found these old photos the first boat is the Devenish i think or the Inish Clare when she was a paddle steamer cant realy find out much about them, the inishclare was built at the Inishclare hotel but changed hands a few times and was last driven by inboards, another boat the Enniskillen was sunk by the RAF on target practice during the war she came to the town by train from Bangor
here is some text to go with it
One of the most outstanding boats to ply on the lakes was the ‘Devenish’. Described as the biggest and best of the Lough Erne boats she was launched on Friday 26th July 1862 by the Lough Erne Steamboat Company. Built in sections by Henderson Colbourne of Renfrew, Scotland, at a cost of £3,700-00 pounds. The sections were brought to the Market Yard, Enniskillen, where the Scottish riveters assembled them. That was quite an exciting time for the people of Enniskillen as they watched the red hot rivets fitting together the steel plates that formed the hull. The Devenish was 131 feet long with a beam of 16 feet; powerful twin engines drove her two big paddle wheels. She could carry almost 1,000 passengers and cargo, for a large vessel she had a shallow draft of two feet, two inches. She could do the trip from Enniskillen to Belleek in two and a half hours including stops on the way.

She plied successfully on the Erne for six years, but the coming of the railways heralded the end of shipping on the lake. The Devenish was sold in 1869 to John Brown & Company of Bangor Co. Down There are two stories of how she was moved to Bangor, one being that she was partially dismantled and transported by rail to Bangor. This does not seem practical; as many of the low bridges along the railway would not have had the necessary clearance for a high load. The account given by Mervyn Dane in history in the Impartial Reporter of September 24th 1970 is more sensible.
“She was probably stripped of her engines and other equipment to reduce weight and hauled overland to from the erne at Belleek. Then began the tortuous overland journey to the sea at Ballyshannon on flat bogeys drawn by horses or oxen. The roads were not suitable for such a heavy load and there were frequent holdups as wheels bogged down. The slow journey proceeded and the Devenish was launched into the sea again at Ballyshannon. Then taken to Belfast for a refit, she was given the new name of ‘The Lady of the Lake’ and plied daily between Belfast and Hollywood, Co. Down”.

In 1873 the nine year old paddle steamer from Lough Erne was sold again, hoisted aboard a cargo ship and brought to the west coast of Africa where there was a demand for paddle steamers with a shallow draft to work on the rivers along the coast.

This is the Pandora on Riverside Enniskillen in the 1960s before she was broken up i think she was called the Insh Clare before

Another boat on the lake was the SS Belturbet

22 March, 2012 12:32
Here is a better photo going up past castle island
25 March, 2012 23:53
The Lady of the Lake

was laid up during WW1 .She was then sold to a lady and converted to a houseboat.She also removed the paddles and had a screw installed and her name was change to Pandora.
During the civil war 21-23 she was used by the NI government to help maintain law and order on The Erne.
She took part in the siege of Pettigo and the battle of Beleek!
She spent the rest of her life anchored near the west bridge in Enniskillen until 1956 ,when she was broken up.
I believe she was 96ft long.

If you look at the windows in the hull on Pandora and the Lady ,you will see they are the same boat.

There is a film of Pandora at the civil war event.It's in the Northern Ireland film archive.

It would be nice to see it.

SP de N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/03/2012 23:54 by pjnorris1.
27 March, 2012 15:18
Hi all,

John Connon has come accross this old picture of Connaught Harbour Portumna, probably taken in the late 1960's. Rambler is in the left hand background painted in blue and white.

The complete Rambler history including the "Portumna chapter" can be seen at.......

[heritageboatassociation.ie]

Joe.
27 March, 2012 16:39
Hello Joe, I knew Mr and Mrs Kass well.They used have an antique shop at Connaught Harbour.
They could never go home.I think they claimed they were stateless.

PJ
30 March, 2012 09:40
Hi thanks for thatthumbs up clears things up a bit, have you ever come accross any photos of the Widawake sand dredger on Lough Erne this is the only one i can find my grand father worked on her in the 30s for John Lemons of Enniskillen they brought sand from Castlecaldwell bay to Enniskillen twice a week she was a iron barge think from Belfast lough and steam powered

30 March, 2012 09:56
Great picture - must have been a hand-full to manage a steam engine and dredge for sand although it was probably a giant step forward. The burgee flying is intrigueing,

Joe.
30 March, 2012 13:08
The burgee was one my gradfather made up but was later told not to fly the Popes coloursconfused smiley, she dredged for sand with a clamshell grab on the boom hard manual work with the steam winch
04 May, 2012 08:21
A couple I came across recently, top one is Linquenda at Tarmon.

This one based on a sketch of Castle Harbour might interest Les.

Joe.

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 9
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 13 on 26 February, 2013
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 154 on 08 December, 2012