17 February, 2012 09:51
Sorry to relay the untimely death last night of Padraigh Lynch lockeeper at
Knockvicar. Condolences to his wife ,family and friends. He was one of the
rivers most obliging characters and will be sorely missed. May he rest in
peace
Kieran Walsh
Re: Padraig Lynch RIP.
17 February, 2012 15:28
Indeed may he rest in peace. Padraig was one of life's characters. I will happily remember him on many a summer evening drinking tea and entertaining me and my passengers with his poetry recitals.

Michael
Re: Re: Padraig Lynch RIP.
17 February, 2012 20:01
With him my most important reason to visit Lough Key has gone.
Will miss him sadly
Raven
17 February, 2012 21:13
It was the 4th July, 2011. "Arthur" and her crew were on a mission to photograph the IWAI lock-keepers north of Athlone. We met Padraig and his wife Vera as we made our first ever approach to Lough Key. The weather was glorious, the setting was divine and they were a lovely couple.

We had a nice chat with Padraig and even managed to persuade him to allow us to take a photograph of himself and Vera with their grand-daughter.

The following day, on our return from Lough Key, Padraig was away on a training course and Vera managed the lock with her daughter and grand-daughter.

We only met him on that single occasion...but it was memorable.

May He Rest In Peace.

Paul,
"Arthur"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/02/2012 21:31 by Paul J Scannell.
17 February, 2012 22:11
So sad to hear of his passing. He was a great character and always had some hilarious story to tell. He will be missed, especially by the north Shannon boaters. May he rest in peace and out thoughts are with his wife & family.
17 February, 2012 23:15
The river will miss a great character, I enjoyed his wit and appreciation of music, shared many a CD with him

RIP Padraig

For those concerned, the funeral mass is in Crossna church Knockvicar , monday 11am

Dave McCabe
18 February, 2012 02:03
Yes, a huge loss.
He was one of our "must meet" people on every trip.
Always very grateful for an extra pair of hands pushing a gate, always willing to regale a willing listener with some amusing anecdote, but equally happy to be a silent companion.
He will be missed and Clarendon won't be the same without him.
May he rest in peace and my deepest sympathy to his family.

Duncan

Duncan
Re: Re: Padraig Lynch RIP.
18 February, 2012 02:05
Thanks Dave
18 February, 2012 03:27
Quote:
kieran walsh
Sorry to relay the untimely death last night of Padraigh Lynch lockeeper at
Knockvicar. Condolences to his wife ,family and friends. He was one of the
rivers most obliging characters and will be sorely missed. May he rest in
peace
Kieran Walsh

I didn't read this post until now and hadn't recognised deceased. Padraig actually came to mind earlier tonight as I was contemplating single handed passage up to Lough Key. I've been through Knockvicar less than 2 dozen times so won't claim intimate knowledge. I thought Padraig was an interesting character who might or might not engage in conversation depending on his or my mood and probably time of day, weather etc but always helpful - No complaints on my part there. I recall conversation last year, mutual griping as public servants, how P remarked on how ignorant some lock users could be in dealing with him - just that common courtesies are appreciated, e.g. a simple thank you when lockkeeper takes line. Maybe something we might all bear in mind, given relatively short time we have on the river.

Ciaran
18 February, 2012 16:17
Padraig was always helpful and pleasant each time we passed through Kockvicar , he will be sorely missed. Paul Scannels photo captures the essence of the man . Condolences to his wife and family . May he rest in .

Mike & Val Moroney 'Explorer'
18 February, 2012 19:37
Very sad to hear this about Padraig.
I remember last August coming downstream out of Lough Key, not a nice manouver for a barge, with the flow on, and a blind sharp left into the lock and a weir on the right. As I nosed around the bend, bow tight to the port side, and stern drifting out with the flow, Padraig left everything go at the lock and came running down the jetties to take a line from me. I asked how he knew what a help that would be, and his simple answer was barges have a tough time coming blind around that bend, so I keep a special eye out for them.
Padraig will be sadly missed. May he rest in peace.

Les 41M
19 February, 2012 18:43
Very sad news. Took a walk up to Clarendon Lock yesterday. Didn't seem the same without him there. One of the great "characters" of the waterways. Will be sorely missed. RIP

Rich
COOL BLUE
RE: Re: Padraig Lynch RIP.
20 February, 2012 09:25
When we bought our boat, we had scraped together every cent and managed
to buy a 30-yr-old 27footer that had an extraordinarily smoky engine.
Every weekend we would tear down from Dublin to make it to the Moorings
to try and get going and round the blind bend before the lock would be
shut, and every weekend we made it.

Then we eventually got tired of all the smoke, and spent a good deal of
money getting the engine overhauled, with the result that it purred
along. So the next weekend, we tore down, got going, headed for the
bend, and rounding the corner we could see Padraig just about to board
his bike to head off. He saw us and stopped, and proceeded to open the
gate. When we pulled in to the wall, he said "I wasn't expecting ye" -
and I was puzzled how he would know one way or another, and he replied
"I didn't see the smoke signals".

We always looked forward to seeing him.

Cathal

Sent: 17 February 2012 20:02
To: waterways[AG]iwai.ie
Subject: Re: [waterways] Re: Padraig Lynch RIP.

With him my most important reason to visit Lough Key has gone.
Will miss him sadly
Raven
20 February, 2012 11:28
Very sad news may Padraig rest in peace, me and my family had the privilege of meeting Padraig 15 yrs ago on our first trip on the river, Padraig would always have a comment to make especially about how the Dubs couldnt last longer than 24 hours on the river and how he would see us later that day, he would always let us know how right he was when we would arrive back later that evening, we are not looking forward to our first trip this year knowing Padraig wont be there to greet us, our trips to the lough will never be the same again,
Padraig you are a legend.

Condolences to his wife and family . May he rest in peace

Colm, Karen, Shaunagh & Sarah
KATACOPA
20 February, 2012 13:11
We first meet Padraig over 15 years ago. I have always found him to be helpful and very much enjoyed talking to him at work or socially He was a man of the highest integrity a loving husband a great father (his daughters are a credit to both him and Vera) and a doting grandfather.Padraig knew my children from the time they were born, they used to feel all grown up when we would moor the boat waiting to go through "Padraig's Lough" they would walk up to him on there own to talk to him and show him how good they were, wearing their life jackets as we would tell them from an early age that Padraig would give out to them if they didn't wear their life jackets. No matter how busy he was he always had time to chat to them.

I am honoured to call him a friend and will miss him dearly. Our deepest sympathy's are with his wife and family at this terrible time.

Rest in Peace Padraig.

Paul, Tania, Paul, Jo and Adam.

Katacopa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/02/2012 13:11 by Paul Mulready.
Padraig Lynch RIP
20 February, 2012 20:50
Vera Lynch, Padraigs wife, would like to pass on her thanks to all the
boating fraternity who turned up at both ceremonies. She was overwhelmed by
the heartfelt expressions of sorrow at Padraigs passing.
The Church was bursting at the seams with the turnout to mourn Padraig and
give support to Vera,her family and friends.
Padraig was a very good friend to my daughter Debbie and her husband Tony,
as a result of which he was godfather to their deceased son Jake who passed
away at birth last August.
May Padraig and Jake rest in peace.

To quote the last few lines of a poem Tony wrote on his facebook page for
Padraig

Rest in peace Padraig Lynch,
A mans man,
And a childs friend

Kieran Walsh
23 February, 2012 20:02
Many's a weekend as we passed through the lock heading for Lock Key, Padraig would warn us if the weather was good on Sunday just to cancel work and not to bother untieing because he wasn't going to let us back through the lock for home. And many's a weekend we took his advice.

Deepest sympathies to Vera and family. Padraig will be sadly missed and a trip to lough key will never be the same.

Rest in Peace Padraig
From the crew of Alabar
Alan, Barbara, Amy and Evan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 46
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017