24 February, 2012 17:53
Hi,

Just a few picies to stir those boaty yerningssmiling bouncing smiley

Regards

Peter.

[liberte.smugmug.com]
Re: Out and about
24 February, 2012 19:10
Some nice pics there Peter. That "dingy" you're towing...is that for the Grand and Barrow trip...??

M(W&W)F

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/02/2012 19:10 by Mick Farrell.
24 February, 2012 23:06
Quote:
Mick Farrell
Some nice pics there Peter. That "dingy" you're towing...is that for the Grand and Barrow trip...??
M(W&W)F

It just may be Mick! I've calculated Libertè's airdraft at 8.5ft approx. If I remove the windscreen, I should get 7.8ft. I see carlow, lowest bridge on the system, only has max airdraft of 8.46ft. But if this is at lowest summer water levels, (2.49ft), I'll be aground! I need 3.28ft water draft. If I get that, I'll only have 7.67ft. airdraft, which will be a tight squeeze even with the windscreen removed and crew sitting on the floorconfused smiley The excellent guide I've received from Colin indicates that the above figures occur when the water level is just under the tow-path under the navigation arch, so it depends what depth of water this represents. I might be spending some time on the Barrowdrinking smiley

Regards

Peter.

P.S. Phew - At least you didn't notice my crooked wakeeye rolling smiley
24 February, 2012 23:43
Now you're really confusing me Peter. "Decimals" of feet are usually called inches...LOL
Sooo...your 3.28 ft = 3' 4"..(??) same as 31B,but mines over the full 12' 9" width. 8.5 feet = 8' 6"..(??). My wheelhouse is 9' 2" over 9' 4" width and has gone under with the water about 2" below the towpath, under the bridge. 68M's wheelhouse is slightly wider than mine and has also been through. This can require a bit of "jerrymandering" heading downstream but I can pass straight through heading upstream. The downstream side of the bridge is a bit higher and the squat against the flow sits the boat down nicely heading upstream. 8'6" should go under easily enough but them windscreens dont take kindly to a little rub. I suspect the guide is very conservative.

Water levels are entirely at the mercy of the weather and take advice from the keepers and GO's regarding silting.

M(W&W)F
25 February, 2012 12:22
Quote:
Mick Farrell
Now you're really confusing me Peter. "Decimals" of feet are usually called inches...LOL
Sooo...your 3.28 ft = 3' 4"..(??) same as 31B,but mines over the full 12' 9" width. 8.5 feet = 8' 6"..(??). My wheelhouse is 9' 2" over 9' 4" width and has gone under with the water about 2" below the towpath, under the bridge. 68M's wheelhouse is slightly wider than mine and has also been through. This can require a bit of "jerrymandering" heading downstream but I can pass straight through heading upstream. The downstream side of the bridge is a bit higher and the squat against the flow sits the boat down nicely heading upstream. 8'6" should go under easily enough but them windscreens dont take kindly to a little rub. I suspect the guide is very conservative.

Water levels are entirely at the mercy of the weather and take advice from the keepers and GO's regarding silting.

M(W&W)F

Ye, sorry about that Mick, but you got it spot on with your conversionsthumbs up. Problem occurred because I took my measurements of Libertè in ft and ins. and the guide quoted in metric, so I had to get my conversion tables out! But you've re-assured me no end. So on with the planningcool smiley

Regards

peter
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 28
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017