Allianz Boat Insurance

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Royal Canal - Clondra

Posted by Kieran Kearns 
Royal Canal - Clondra
14 January, 2008 18:13
Recently, I read an e-mail on this forum from someone who had reported that there had been some work done in the weeks leading up to Christmas at the Clondra end of the Royal Canal.

Well, I had to see this for myself, didn't I.

So, I drove to Clondra with some friends and my son on Saturday and stayed overnight on a friends Barge. (The lady in Tesco in Longford said that she thought we were mad).

Next day (Sunday) after a brief inspection from the bridge, we got into my small cabin cruiser (Shetland 535) and went for a trip up to the 45th Lock. Up till recently, this was not possible. We drove into the chamber and admired the restoration work. We tied up at this lock and did the short walk out the line of the canal to the lifting bridge.

On our return to Clondra, we removed 7 traffic cones,which appeared to belong to Longford County Council and which were all in the vicinity of the bridge, which itself has some areas fenced off for works in progress.

Has anybody else done a trip, recently, up the canal from Clondra or are we first to cruise into this lock since it was restored? We did take a few photos but I have not yet had a chance to look at them.

Regards

Kieran Kearns
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 12
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017