craftinsure.ie

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Graignamanagh

Posted by Colin Becker 
Graignamanagh
26 September, 2013 22:48
Just stumbled across an interesting piece on singer Johnny Spillane's programme on TG4 about Graignamanagh including an interview with Jim Gill and stories about the ending of the trading days on the river.

Colin
GMY Chang Sha
Re: Graignamanagh
27 September, 2013 00:01
[nasc.tg4.tv]

this is the link
27 September, 2013 03:48
I've just burned the Small-hours oil watching that absolutely fascinating film. Extremely well put together I must say and it was interesting to hear so many people ag caint as Gaelge.

With such a rotten domestic party broadband line I can only watch such transmitted films without interruption in the small hours when all the other users are sensibly recharging their batteries.

I've walked the Barrow Way and been down it in rowing boats. The great thing about walking is that the locks don't delay you, but Graignamanagh remains a star place to visit.

T.
04 February, 2018 17:44
Hey Colin,

Just came across this post, amazing that you still seem to be active on this forum. My grandads brother is Jim Gill! the link posted below does not seem to work anymore, it would be amazing if you manage to find anything on him or barge 78M as it is still in the family

Patrick
05 February, 2018 09:32
Hi Patrick,

Yes, I'm still here. I don't personally have much information about the boat but there is a section about it on the HBA website:
[heritageboatassociation.ie]
and much the same information is included in the new edition of Cool Metal, Clear Water published by the Heritage Boat Association.

See: [www.iwai.ie]

The history of the various shipbuilders operating along the Liffey in Dublin is fairly well recorded in "LIffey Ships and Shipbuilding" by Pat Sweeney. Now alas out of print but you would probably pick up one second hand someplace. There's no specific mention of 78M but a lot of the other M boats are included.

If you haven't already talked to them on their travels down that way I can put you in touch with some of the folks in the HBA who know more about the subject than I do.

Best Wishes,

Colin
GMY Chang Sha
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 8
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017