The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

Allianz Boat Insurance

Jennifers Travels

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Naomh Eanna to be scrapped

Posted by fergal butler 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Naomh Eanna to be scrapped
06 February, 2014 11:50
From the Naomh Eanna trust.

We have just been talking to Waterways Ireland about the developments that have happened in the last few months. The ship itself has become a major hazard for everyone involved as she is taking on water through her decks.
The graving dock at the eastern end of the basin are being opened now and next week the Naomh Eanna will be towed into the dock to be dismantled in the next two weeks. Although she is still afloat at Charlotte Quay, both businesses have vacated the ship and she is now without power and Waterways Ireland have taken her over from her owners.

For us to save her, we would need to meet the 100,000 euro costs of Waterways Ireland by next week and then get permission from NAMA who are managing the graving dock in order for her to stay in drydock until repairs can be carried out. Insurance would also need to be placed on the ship immediately and with no survey we wont get any insurance.

Unfortunately it looks as if our efforts over the past nine years have failed and she will meet her end in the coming weeks. Some items will be salvaged from the ship and kept by the Nautical Trust and ourselves as a reminder of the once great ship that served so many islanders for so many years.

It is a sad day...

Re: Naomh Eanna to be scrapped
06 February, 2014 12:47
It is a sad day, but I am sure the apartment residents who have had to look out at that rusting hulk for years won't be too sad to see her moved. Despite the unfortunate scrapping of an old vessel, it is good to see the authorities continue the clean up of GCD which is at the heart of a residential, office and public amenity location.
06 February, 2014 16:03
Quote:
OceanFroggie
It is a sad day, but I am sure the apartment residents who have had to look out at that rusting hulk for years won't be too sad to see her moved. Despite the unfortunate scrapping of an old vessel, it is good to see the authorities continue the clean up of GCD which is at the heart of a residential, office and public amenity location.

Noel,

If you buy a flat with a manky old boat outside the window, then what would expect to see when you look out the window....?? Superyachts in Monaco...??
Ironic they can find the money and motivation to cut up or otherwise scrap/dispose of the bit of heritage left
in that corner, but don't seem to be ar.sed about finding the money to pump water into the Royal summit from L. Ennel or have Effin Bridge lifted on a more frequent basis.

Go figure....!!

M(W&WF
06 February, 2014 17:12
Maybe they should get the scouts onboard these kids seem to be the only ones taking on these heritage boats sort of puts the rest of us to shame. I'd much prefer to see this old girl turned into an IWAI head office than having a land based office.
If only I had a bigger back garden I'd take her on smiling smiley I can see endless potential for her and maybe with a bit more backing than the few on her Facebook page she would not be facing the scrapheap sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2014 17:13 by fergal butler.
06 February, 2014 19:32
Hi Folks,

Being a "Liberty Boy" (true blue) born and raised within the walls of the city of "Dubhlinn" I can recall my first ever hearing of the "Naomh Eanna" during the seventies while I was studying for my "Inter Cert". We were studying a subject which the school called "Humanities" (English, History & Geography). The syllabus was set by "The Curriculum Development Unit - Trinity College".

Anyway, part of the learning was how the islanders depended on the "Naomh Eanna" to call to the islands, I think twice weekly. In one of the books which we used for that subject, I remember seeing a photo of a cow being craned onto or off the Naomh Eanna. As kids, we thought this was mad. (not the cow - that was much later).

Anyway, the service was run by CIE. Sure we thought they only ran buses & trains and we would have been blissfully unaware that CIE also ran the Liffey Ferry services which ran up until the East Link bridge was opened.

Looking down river from O'Connell Bridge and seeing the three??? orange painted ferry boats tied up on Eden Quay, we often wondered what they were used for. It was only years later while working down at Poolbeg that colleagues explained how they crossed the river to work!

Sorry - I think I am guilty of "Thread Drift".

Regards

Kieran
06 February, 2014 20:21
I agree fully with Mick F, the people in the flats knew what they were buying beside, I would not complain about a neighbour like the Naomh Eanna, for my worth this is the only country in europe that would cut up its heritage, look across the river at the Cill Airne, should that be cut up?? The Waverly in the UK etc., not before anybody says it "different cases" they are all old ships. For what it is worth I know as I type this that there are talks on to try and get a reprieve on the gas axe for the Naomh Eanna, from people with a proven track record in ship restoration...

I was onboard her on Tuesday and took the following photos.
[www.dropbox.com]

She is not taking on water or sinking or anything like that, and she should be under no circumstances be cut up, are we now down to photos of our heritage? Go figure folks..there are very interested and serious people interested in taking on this ship, all we need is the will from the powers to be to let them do it, and I know it will be done...do we want sterile boatless waterways?

Niall G
06 February, 2014 20:43
Great photos Niall she looks better than I thought. thumbs up
06 February, 2014 20:46
That,s a flagship project if ever I saw one. Let the powers that be, hand it over to the care of IWAI or other interested body ie: Maritime institute, CIE historical society(is there one?).
I,m ready to help in any way I can, just point me in the right direction.

Pat
06 February, 2014 21:16
She looks in way better shape than the barges we have recovered over the years. This is a shame.

Les 41M
06 February, 2014 21:26
It is a flagship project, and the people are standing by to do it, they need a stop to the scrapping immediately, and time/breathing space to present their plan...lets do it!

Niall G
06 February, 2014 21:35
I mentioned in a previous thread (to do with the old lifeboat alongside her) that having travelled out to Kilronan from Galway on the old Dun Aengus in 1957 I was fascinated to read a subsequent newspaper article on the brand new larger all singing, all dancing Naomh Eanna that was shortly due to enter service on that run.

I don't know the date she actually did, but like the Cill Airne opposite I'm sure she merits restoration and use somewhere.

Tom K.
06 February, 2014 22:19
Does anybody know what this little exercise is going to cost WI and whether or not the graving dock could remain in operation afterwards....??

M(W&W)F
07 February, 2014 00:32
Quote:
Niall Galway
It is a flagship project, and the people are standing by to do it, they need a stop to the scrapping immediately, and time/breathing space to present their plan...lets do it!
Niall G

Count me in Niall. How do we stand? Who gives the nod to scrap the vessel? has the nod been given? If so, who is the contractor? If not, what procedures have to be followed, Prices/quotes etc ?
How long will the dismantling take? How will scrap be taken from site? How long will it take? Has a proper H&S survey been carried out for the project? ie: If cutting equipment is to be used, what procedures have been put in place to render fuel bunkers inert? etc etc!

Pat
07 February, 2014 10:59
It's all very well from the comfort of remote armchairs that don't have to look out their own windows at that scrap heap to have an unsympathetic view of the residents situation. I'm glad it is being moved, not glad it's being scraped. However, there are gazillions of special old vessels all around the world, not all can be, or need to be, nor should be saved.

As ever one saves selected prime examples of past heritage if and only if a new and sustainable use can be found for them. Emotional attachment alone is not sufficient reason. The old adage 'use it or loose it' makes sense. GCD is not the place to temporarily store old hulks waiting to have their restoration viability assessed. Industrial boat yards are more appropriate but not in the centre of an urban residential amenity nor prime office locations. "It's all right as long as not in my back yard" syndrome seems a little unfair. People before WD40!
07 February, 2014 16:42
Hi Again Noel,

I've had a look at the sat. pics on the OSI website [maps.osi.ie] and, sure enough, the Naomh Eanna is in all three (1995, 2000, 2005), within a few yards of the same position, in each. The block of flats on the other hand, first appears in the 2005 pic.

So, exactly how many of the occupants/residents of the flats have informed you as to their opinion on the matter and how did they rationalise buying or renting a flat with a view of a "scrap heap" out their windows and somehow expecting it to vanish....??

It is accepted that not all examples of shipping or other industrial heritage can or should be saved and preserved. That said, here's a partial list of Dublin built ships from the Irish Maritime History website [lugnad.ie] . We know where the Coill an Eo and the Cill Airne are, but how many of the others listed still exist, that any efforts at preservation can be made...??

I seem to recall that only a few weeks ago they were quite keen to dispose of the piece of award winning heritage that's alongside and now I note the phrase "with no survey" from the original post. Does this mean that once again WI have decided to act without carrying out any sort prior checks as to the possible ramifications of their actions...?? How DILLIGENT of them....!!

M(W&W)F
07 February, 2014 21:30
Quote:
OceanFroggie
It's all very well from the comfort of remote armchairs that don't have to look out their own windows at that scrap heap to have an unsympathetic view of the residents situation. I'm glad it is being moved, not glad it's being scraped. However, there are gazillions of special old vessels all around the world, not all can be, or need to be, nor should be saved.
As ever one saves selected prime examples of past heritage if and only if a new and sustainable use can be found for them. Emotional attachment alone is not sufficient reason. The old adage 'use it or loose it' makes sense. GCD is not the place to temporarily store old hulks waiting to have their restoration viability assessed. Industrial boat yards are more appropriate but not in the centre of an urban residential amenity nor prime office locations. "It's all right as long as not in my back yard" syndrome seems a little unfair. People before WD40!

Memo to dockside dwellers, If you don,t like the look of boats,ships,cranes and all that nautical stuff. Why did you choose to live among it?
Naomh Eanna has classic lines and is far from being a heap of scrap . There,s an amount of rust on her, due to neglect. That could be sorted by a crew of willing and able folk (work party).
As for sustainable use. Absolute minimum. With a face lift and "Dressed" for special occasions she would be an asset to the area. There are many more practical uses. A venue for meetings ,seminars, training programmes etc. What would that square footage cost in that prime location?

Pat
07 February, 2014 22:39
The negative comments won't do this cause any good, negative comments could ruin any chance of the ship being restored etc. Maybe keep them quiet for a while and respect the people whom are working to save her. People with a proven track record and people whom can see this project through.

However I have in my possession a copy of the survey done on the Naomh Eanna in April, 2013, and this is what she is being scrapped on...now with my surveyors hat on...

The survey states that the hull is weak but the frames are sound, there is no water in the bilges, certain areas were not exmained, hull thickness readings are not critical and hull plating is intact, I was on-board her this week, and did not feel in any danger or get wet, I certainly would not be advocating to scrap her, to me the survey is poor and was aimed at what the customer wanted...I would love a chance to survey her myself properly. However I know what I saw on-board on Tuesday

I am not going to post the survey here, or email it about however if anybody wants to read it, they can buy me a coffee and they can read it. I will make myself available tomorrow or Sunday for noon at Ringsend Basin. PM me if you want a read....

Niall G

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2014 22:39 by Niall Galway.
08 February, 2014 18:41
I have just posted a video of the Dry Dock that has been recently dug out by WI, it can be viewed here; [www.youtube.com]

I also put up a few new pics taken today @ [www.dropbox.com] Photo No. 40 onward...

Niall G
08 February, 2014 21:45
What an incredible waste of a potentially multi use facility in the middle of the capital city. For example, I,m looking at the dry docks and seeing a concert venue. imagine the acoustics there with a half dome canopy at one end and the sound echoing off those sloping stone sides. (just a mad thought!). (thinking outside the docks!!!)

On a more practical level, they could be flooded and used for long term moorings. There,s talk about city centre marinas. There are many examples of disused commercial docks being reused for leisure/tourist, business and training purposes. Liverpool is a typical example. And closer still, Belfast. In fact pretty much every coastal city where commercial shipping has shifted down river, has utilised their existing structures to facilitate leisure,
tourism and small business enterprises. I,m repeating myself out of frustration. There has to be a way (short of revolution) to take the decision making for the betterment and/or reuse of existing structures/ facilities, out of the hands of people who cant/wont think beyond the next election, or those with motives unknown.
That turned into a bit of a rant!
Anyway, whatever happens I believe that "naomh eanna" should be restored and kept in place, and I am willing to do what I can to make sure that happens.

Pat
Re: Naomh Eanna to be scrapped - Asbestos Disposal Plan
09 February, 2014 10:13
If this ship is to be scrapped, in a residential area, you can bet it has asbestos on board, which if the ship is scrapped, will have to be disposed of.

Then from past experience, if the ship is salvaged the asbestos can stay, it is perfectly safe once it remains intact.

Asbestos cannot be disposed of in this country and also the cost of disposal will far outweigh any profit from the scrapping. I wonder what plan (if any) and where could it be viewed do Waterways Ireland or their contractors have for the disposal of this material. Does anybody have any thoughts on the subject...?

Niall G

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 33
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 13 October, 2016
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 292 on 15 November, 2016