Inland Waterways Association of Ireland

The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

Allianz Boat Insurance

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Wineport Winning Shot Competition

Posted by Colin Becker 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Wineport Winning Shot Competition
31 December, 2015 16:08
Greetings,

The Spring 2016 edition of IWN will be going into production at the end of January. If anyone is moved to contribute a piece of that might be of interest to our readers, please drop me a note or PM me. If you want to write a letter to the editor or get something off your chest (on a waterways topic mind you), please get in touch.

And of course we are accepting entries for the Wineport Winning Shot competition.

The Wineport, that luxurious haven of gastronomic and oenological excellence in the Inner Lakes near Athlone are offering a Midweek VIP experience (overnight stay and breakfast with a half bottle of bubbly, flowers and chocolates on arrival) for the winning entry.

Winning entries will be displayed in the Wineport and included in the
Wineport ad in the magazine.

The rules are simple.

1) The judges decision is final.
2) Photos must be the work of the person named as the photographer
3) Photo can be taken anytime or any season. Doesn't have to be recent.
4) No accompanying narrative or text required though you can name the photo
if you choose.
5) It needs to be generally some kind of inland waterways scene
6) There aren't any particular rules as to subject matter but since the competition is sponsored by the Wineport Lodge and the winner will be incorporated in their ad in the next IWN so winning photos have tended to be restful, scenic kinds of things. Very often, though not exclusively a lake/riverine setting.
7) You can submit more than one if you like.
8) The photo must be high quality, suitable for reproduction in the mag.
9) Digital images must be 300dpi or better at finished size. Even if the picture is nice, if I can't reproduce it, it won't win. (e.g. I'm unlikely to print something taken with a simple phone-camera)
10) I prefer digital images though I will accept a decent hard-copy print.
(I can scan stuff but its a pain. Again with the caveat that I can get it to re-produce properly.) No promises about returning hard-copy prints.
11) Entries must be in before the mag goes to press so the closing date is 31st January.
12) Did I mention that the judges decision is final ?

Also bear in mind that the judge is not a photographic professional, just someone who knows what he likes !

Couple of things to bear in mind....

The finished size of the photo in the Wineport ad is about 120mm wide by 85mm high so whatever you submit needs to look good at that size. I get quite a few photos that are quite dramatic with some fantastic subtle colours and shadows but which only work when they are blown up to a large size. So have a good look at the picture and consider how well it will work at the smaller size. Strong colours help too.

I've attached a couple of recent winning entries below:

Colin Becker
Editor, IWN

Re: Wineport Winning Shot Competition
22 April, 2016 10:19
Greetings,

The Summer edition of IWN will be going into production at the beginning of May and we are still accepting entries for the Wineport Winning Shot photo competition. The rules have been well aired in previous posts so no need to repeat them here.

And of course if anyone is moved to write an article for the magazine or a letter to the editor or whatever, that I'm happy to consider them for publication.

I'm also always looking for good, bright, interesting photos for the front cover of the magazine.
Must be very high resolution, good quality, interesting waterways subjects. Portrait format is preferred but we can crop from a landscape format too if the resolution is good enough.

Best Wishes,

Colin
Editor, IWN
26 April, 2016 19:07
Hi Colin,

I would love to enter the competition and have decided to go with this image taken of Devenish Tower just outside Enniskillen on Lower Lough Erne.

Thanks

Stephen

Udo
27 April, 2016 17:22

Killyhevlin River view.

Culky Jetty Upper Lough Erne

Both fotos are taken in sept/oct. 2014 from Udo Vogel, Client of ABC boats and 26th times at the Shannon and Erneside !!
Hope you enjoy one of my fotos.
best regards Udo
Udo
27 April, 2016 18:59
1660 km away, but always in my mind !

Udo

Irish flag is on the other side !!
29 April, 2016 14:02
Thanks folks.

Can I ask you to email entries for the wine port competition directly to editor-at-iwai-dot-ie

Colin
29 April, 2016 21:08
Nice picture of Devenish tower. Must have been taken before the Fermanagh District Council decided to denigrate and neglect these iconic buildings by curtailing maintenance of the grass and locking up the toilets, in a pathetic and narrow minded attempt to save a few sheckels.

Isn't it ironic that these buildings are so renowned by scores across every nation in Europe and are so completely undervalued by the local council in such a blinkered and unimaginative way. If the Irish waterways were located anywhere else in Europe, Devenish would be given the respect it so richly deserves.
01 May, 2016 21:23
I'm not very techi so I only have a phone with limited picture quality so I don't have a picture to show but to me the best place on the waterway is between St Johns lough and Muckros lough on the SEW. There are no ancient monuments or islands steeped in history on this part but the way the trees come down to near the waters edge and the isolation of the place is for me what makes it so special. I wish I was a poet or a wordsmith to try and express my feelings for this place better but whenever I pass through the area I just feel like I belong there and I have been to many places around the world in my Merchant Navy days and I don't think I have seen anywhere better. Some day I may get a proper camera or up to date phone and post a picture but as I said there is nothing historical about the place its just special for me and others may wonder what I see in the place but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and for me it will remain special. Michael
24 July, 2017 13:09
Greetings,

Just a reminder that the Autumn issue of IWN goes into production at the start of August and we are still accepting entries for the Wineport Winning Shot photo competition.

The rules have been well publicised in this thread and elsewhere on the forum.

Send entries directly to me at editor-who-can-be-found-at-iwai-dot-ie.

Closing date will be 8th August to allow for people to get out on the water over the bank holiday weekend.

Best Wishes,

Colin
Editor, IWN
17 January, 2018 09:56
Greetings,

Just a reminder that the Spring 2018 issue of IWN goes into production at the start of February and we are still accepting entries for the Wineport Winning Shot photo competition.

Closing date will be 5th February. So dig into your photo albums and find some nice pictures.

Best Wishes,

Colin
Editor, IWN
18 April, 2018 10:55
Greetings,

Just a reminder that the Summer 2018 issue of IWN goes into production at the start of May and we are still accepting entries for the Wineport Winning Shot photo competition.

Closing date will be 1st May. So dig into your photo albums and find some nice pictures.

The Spring 2018 winning photo is attached.

Best Wishes,

Colin
Editor, IWN

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 16
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017