The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

Allianz Boat Insurance

Deakin Marine

Jennifers Travels

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Brass Nuts & Bolts

Posted by Colin Becker 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Brass Nuts & Bolts
24 July, 2017 12:44
Greetings,

Can anyone point me to a supplier of odd-ball brass nuts and bolts.

I need:

1) 20 off 30mm length x 5mm dia brass machine screws with countersunk heads, nuts and washers,

2) 3 off 5/16" x 12TPI brass wingnuts or knurled nuts or even plain hex nuts.

3) 2 off 3/4" x 9TPI Brass nuts similar to the above.

The first one isn't too but the last two might be more of a challenge. The last two items are needed for some port-hole windows on the boat hence the odd dimensions and specification. The original clamping nuts on the portholes have a kind of rind-shaped handle on them rather than a butterfly but I'm guessing they would need to be made specially. The 9TPI seemed like an odd thread pitch but I'm pretty sure its right 'cos I checked it with my trusty thread guage thingy. Can't say for sure whether its a Whitworth or UNC type thread but I think either would work.

Alternatively, anyone know of anyone who sells salvaged portholes who might have some of those kings of things lying around!

Best Wishes,

Colin
Re: Brass Nuts & Bolts
26 July, 2017 22:44
Hi Colin

Having to address portholes myself recently, I sourced brass countersunk machine screws from Dublin Nut & Bolt Company, they are based in Parkwest. I also tried Hassetts Nut and Bolt suppliers in Limerick.
[www.dublinboltandnut.com]
[www.hassetts.ie]
I was unable to get the imperial replacement but found a metric replacement.
Hope they can help you out, if not it's something you'll have to get custom made!

Cheers
Ciaran.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/07/2017 22:51 by Ciaran Clinton.
27 July, 2017 11:24
Kays Fasteners, West Yorkshire can certainly do metric as you need. The Imperial maybe not. Great place for nuts, ask for Hazel.
28 July, 2017 08:39
Great! Hazel nuts!

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 27
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017