The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

Allianz Boat Insurance

Jennifers Travels

Deakin Marine

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

The prefect boat

Posted by Padhraic Conneally 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The prefect boat
04 August, 2017 17:07
There was an article in the IWN a few years ago on the prefect boat for the Irish waterways possibly written by Ruth Delaney

Would anybody have a copy or a possible link?
Re: The prefect boat
04 August, 2017 17:17
What the hell do we want a prefect boat for???????????
Is it like a floating moderator?????????

Mac Brandrick
"Marion of Wimborne"
04 August, 2017 21:09
Quote:
Mac Brandrick
What the hell do we want a prefect boat for???????????
Is it like a floating moderator?????????

Mac Brandrick
"Marion of Wimborne"

Surely a sailing yacht is both perfect and prefect?

John
Yacht "The Prefect (sic) is the Enemy of the Merely Good"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2017 21:11 by John.Kinsella1.
04 August, 2017 21:44
The perfect boat is the one leaving the harbour which is a foot longer/wider than the one you have already.

Boating is not at all about the boat you own. Sure everybody knows that .
PjN
05 August, 2017 13:32
Quote:
pjnorris1
The perfect boat is the one leaving the harbour which is a foot longer/wider than the one you have already.
Boating is not at all about the boat you own. Sure everybody knows that .
PjN

So true.confused smiley
07 August, 2017 11:19
.......is owned and maintained by someone else who kindly invites you down for a day or so to enjoy the facility.
I have two of these, both sailboats, one at Cap D'Agde in S. France, the other in Dromineer on L. Derg. A third, a Broom 37 is based at Glasson in L. Ree.

The boats I actually own are far from perfect and require a lot of maintenance before any pleasure can be got out of them. But the maintenance itself is part of the fun, after all.

Tom K {Sailboat Imperfect)

P.S. Like my friend in Dromineer, I too own a GRP 27 footer, but unlike his, mine is only 10 inches in the beam, you sit ON it and scull it along with two 9.5-ft bats, and then you can't see where you're going ! Where's the fun in that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2017 14:14 by Thomas Kirby.
09 August, 2017 08:43
Padhraic,

I think you may be referring to an article that appeared in IWN in the Spring of 2010 by Andrew Wolstenholme the naval architect.

He described what he thought the ideal Shannon boat should look like and how the designs of some of the hire boat fleets had evolved to meet those needs. He also designed IDA for Tom Bailey and I'm pretty sure Arkady for Ruth Delany.

Best Wishes,

Colin
GMY Chang Sha

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 22
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017