Inland Waterways Association of Ireland


The Voice of Ireland's Waterways


craftinsure.ie

Jennifers Travels

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Tablet Charts for the Shannon system

Posted by Robbie 
Tablet Charts for the Shannon system
12 August, 2017 13:45
Looking for advice / help with getting Charts for the Shannon system that will work on my tablet.
We were using the fantastic large Chart format, but once they got wet/damp on our first trip to Carrick from Athlone they started to fall apart. We would prefer not to have a Garmin type Plotter.
Any help would be appreciated. Robbie
Re: Tablet Charts for the Shannon system
12 August, 2017 14:16
Three choices:

BlueChart mobile app (Garmin)
Navionics UK/Holland HD app
C-SIG charts

All three work on tablets
Re: Tablet Charts for the Shannon system
12 August, 2017 14:18
Hi Robbie,
I am the pro for the charts special interest group in the iwai. The csig has been charting the inland system for almost 5 years now. Our mission is to provide electronic charts to run on low cost devices. We have around 6 million soundings from Limerick to Beleek and the canals and barrow. They run on ios and android tablets and smartphones and windows laptops. The quarterly iwn magazine from the iwai runs an update each issue. You can also look at the csig website with a link from the iwai site.

The charts are free to iwai members and are not available to non members. There are many entries on this forum referring to the csig.

If you want a copy of the charts, and you are not a member of the iwai, then you will need to join and send me an email at barge41m@yahoo.co.uk and I will process your request.

Les 41M and csig pro
Re: Tablet Charts for the Shannon system
12 August, 2017 17:43
Quote:
Les Saunders
Hi Robbie,
I am the pro for the charts special interest group in the iwai. The csig has been charting the inland system for almost 5 years now. Our mission is to provide electronic charts to run on low cost devices. We have around 6 million soundings from Limerick to Beleek and the canals and barrow. They run on ios and android tablets and smartphones and windows laptops. The quarterly iwn magazine from the iwai runs an update each issue. You can also look at the csig website with a link from the iwai site.

The charts are free to iwai members and are not available to non members. There are many entries on this forum referring to the csig.

If you want a copy of the charts, and you are not a member of the iwai, then you will need to join and send me an email at barge41m@yahoo.co.uk and I will process your request.

Les 41M and csig pro

Hi Les,
sorry I missed you in Dromineer at the end of the Rally!

I asked a Rallyer to pass on my good wishes as we were heading off for a sail.

Just a "policy" question; why not offer the CSIG charts to non-members for a fee?

There are a lot of us out here!

I hope that "insurance issues" aren't the reason?

In any case keep up the good work.

John
Re: Tablet Charts for the Shannon system
12 August, 2017 21:22
Hi Les
Many thanks for your response, I am a member just joined about a few weeks ago, and love to know where I can get the charts as we are planing a trip up river next week to Lough Key. Robbie
email me robbie@mailingbags.ie
Re: Tablet Charts for the Shannon system
12 August, 2017 21:27
Hi
Many thanks for your response, on the first 2 you quote where can I look at these on line to see what they look like, on the C-SIG charts I have a recommendation from Les on this so I will follow this lead first. Regards Robbie

BlueChart mobile app (Garmin)
Navionics UK/Holland HD app
C-SIG charts
Re: Tablet Charts for the Shannon system
13 August, 2017 08:37
Quote:
Robbie
Hi
Many thanks for your response, on the first 2 you quote where can I look at these on line to see what they look like, on the C-SIG charts I have a recommendation from Les on this so I will follow this lead first. Regards Robbie

BlueChart mobile app (Garmin)
Navionics UK/Holland HD app
C-SIG charts

Hi Robbie.
Try [webapp.navionics.com]

You can zoom, pan etc with the online charts. Gives a good idea what the Navionics charts are like on a tablet.

John
Re: Tablet Charts for the Shannon system
13 August, 2017 16:27
Hmmm.
the navionics maps look a lot better on the website than they do on my iPhone.

I'd been a little disappointed with them, markers seemed in the wrong place, user added ones were hit and miss so I didn't bother to update. The website seems 'better' then the version on my phone so maybe I need to pay for a year of navionics+ to get the better charts.

My main problem with them seemed to be that some markers disappear at various zoom levels, some don't. Even on that website, when zooming out a green market becomes a red dot at a certain zoom level and no amount of messing with options got it set up as I wanted.

Anyone use the Garmin maps on the Shannon? Any feedback?
Re: Tablet Charts for the Shannon system
14 August, 2017 10:42
Hi Paul
Interesting to hear your point of view as I dont want to upload any charts that are going to be a hassel and not fully trustworthy, if you get any heads up on the Garmin charts give me a shout. I presume the Garmin ones are pay to download.
Regards Robbie
Re: Tablet Charts for the Shannon system
15 August, 2017 10:49
Quote:
Paul
Hmmm.
the navionics maps look a lot better on the website than they do on my iPhone.

I'd been a little disappointed with them, markers seemed in the wrong place, user added ones were hit and miss so I didn't bother to update. The website seems 'better' then the version on my phone so maybe I need to pay for a year of navionics+ to get the better charts.

My main problem with them seemed to be that some markers disappear at various zoom levels, some don't. Even on that website, when zooming out a green market becomes a red dot at a certain zoom level and no amount of messing with options got it set up as I wanted.

Anyone use the Garmin maps on the Shannon? Any feedback?

Hi Paul. I've paid for Navionics+ on an Android tab and find it ok.

I think a phone is limited for navigation to be fair because of the tiny screen.

A 10 inch tablet lets you see the big picture (sic).

Navionics + has an impressive dock to dock autorouting facility that while not to be used blindly works very well even on Derg.

Can you give any examples of incorrect marker positions etc on your navionics version and I'll check in mine?


John



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/08/2017 10:52 by John.Kinsella1.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 20
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 6 on 02 July, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017