The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

craftinsure.ie

Deakin Marine

Jennifers Travels

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

HEADING TO EUROPE ?

Posted by Geoff Woolley 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
HEADING TO EUROPE ?
30 August, 2017 11:58
Is anyone thinking of heading to Europe in their boat ?
I've done this journey twice and accumulated a lot of useful information which I'm happy to pass on to IAWI members.
I've written 2 books, if you Google 'Encore' by Geoff Woolley which covers our journey from Belturbet to Dunkirk, or 'Windmills & Wine' which covers our cruise into Belgium, Holland, Germany, France.
I'm not pushing the sale of books but they do give a detailed account of our journey with lots of photo's, both to, and around Europe.
We're happy to give information freely on the very important preparation of your boat, places to stay a while (or avoid), costs, best time to go, weather forecasting and time.
If you need helpful advice please get in touch to make the most of your adventure before dementia.
The journey is a an absolutely fabulous adventure for anyone interested
Re: HEADING TO EUROPE ?
30 August, 2017 12:36
Quote:
Geoff Woolley
Is anyone thinking of heading to Europe in their boat ?
I've done this journey twice and accumulated a lot of useful information which I'm happy to pass on to IAWI members.
I've written 2 books, if you Google 'Encore' by Geoff Woolley which covers our journey from Belturbet to Dunkirk, or 'Windmills & Wine' which covers our cruise into Belgium, Holland, Germany, France.
I'm not pushing the sale of books but they do give a detailed account of our journey with lots of photo's, both to, and around Europe.
We're happy to give information freely on the very important preparation of your boat, places to stay a while (or avoid), costs, best time to go, weather forecasting and time.
If you need helpful advice please get in touch to make the most of your adventure before dementia.
The journey is a an absolutely fabulous adventure for anyone interested

Mainland Europe surely?
30 August, 2017 14:37
Isn't Belturbet in Europe..........???????????

Tm53
30 August, 2017 18:40
Quote:
Tillerman53
Isn't Belturbet in Europe..........???????????

Evidently not.

To be fair it is more a cultural Thing.

Remember the (?) Daily Mail headline; "Fog in Channel, Continent cut off"? winking smiley

John
Yacht "Europhile"
06 September, 2017 18:00
Whether we like it or not the island of Ireland is regarded by the majority of people out of Ireland as being physically part of the British Isles.
Not being interested in politics the post was made from a cruising point of view of leaving the group of islands forming the British isles across to, and around, mainland Europe
Apologies if I wasn't clear enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2017 18:02 by Geoff Woolley.
06 September, 2017 19:49
Sorry Geoff,
Just couldn't resist it, no politics involved. Should be a lot clearer after Brexit.........

Tm53
07 September, 2017 15:50
Quote:
Geoff Woolley
Whether we like it or not the island of Ireland is regarded by the majority of people out of Ireland as being physically part of the British Isles.
Not being interested in politics the post was made from a cruising point of view of leaving the group of islands forming the British isles across to, and around, mainland Europe
Apologies if I wasn't clear enough.

According to a (ahem) British newspaper [www.theguardian.com]

Quote:
Guardian Style Guide
British Isles
A geographical term taken to mean Great Britain, Ireland and some or all of the adjacent islands such as Orkney, Shetland and the Isle of Man. The phrase is best avoided, given its (understandable) unpopularity in the Irish Republic. Alternatives adopted by some publications are British and Irish Isles or simply Britain and Ireland.

Sorry Geoff but I agree with the Grauniad (sic) on this.

John
Yacht "Stickler"
07 September, 2017 18:19
I have a friend who lives on an island off the coast of Shetland. He lives closer to Oslo than Edinburgh, never mind London. They call Shetland 'The Mainland' as indeed does Google maps. I have a brother in law lives in the Isle of Mann. It self governs, quite admirably, and has done for thousands of years, notwithout the odd invasion, mind.
09 September, 2017 21:33
Reading the Autumn issue of IWAI magazine The Ulster Canal, an appraisal by Phillip Donald.
Brought back memories old and new. I was part of a visiting IWA of NI group (at that time) during the early 70's tracing 'The Ulster'. It was suggested that the old abandoned linen factory in Benburb could be used to manufacture lock gates. The problem of course was funding and promoting/gathering interest from local councillors, their enthusiasm depended how near the local elections were.
The gorge at Benburb was to be overcome with a flights of locks, it would entail a bit of rock cutting to widen the canal to the standard gauge but it was possible. 'The Troubles' effectively kept any thoughts of re-opening on the back burner but thanks to many unsung heroes its come back to the fore and work has started on the first part.
In his article Phillip raised the question of an inclined plane at the rock gorge as an alternative to a flight of locks. If it ever came to pass it would be a real tourist money spinner for the area.
For those unfamiliar there are 3 inclined planes in Europe, the one at Elblag in Poland uses a cradle on rails to transport boats up/down, I've not used this one.
The one in Belgium at Ronquerres is a wonderful piece of equipment and uses a caisson, our boats passed down it.
In Belgium there's also a vertical lift at Strepy Theiu which until recently was the tallest in the world. Superseded by the lift in the great gorge canal in China.
The other inclined plane is at Arzvillier in France on the Marne-Rhin canal.There are no charges for using any of these.
Should anyone require further info, Google Windmills and Wine by Geoff Woolley it will take you to a link to trawlerforum.com there you can see on pages 2, 5 and 7 posts and descriptive photos, you don't have to be a member, sign up or login to read the articles.
09 September, 2017 21:35
Reading the Autumn issue of IWAI magazine The Ulster Canal, an appraisal by Phillip Donald brought back memories old and new. I was part of a visiting IWA of NI group (at that time) during the early 70's tracing 'The Ulster'. It was suggested that the old abandoned linen factory in Benburb could be used to manufacture lock gates. The problem of course was funding and promoting/gathering interest from local councillors, their enthusiasm depended how near the local elections were.
The gorge at Benburb was to be overcome with a flights of locks, it would entail a bit of rock cutting to widen the canal to the standard gauge but it was possible. 'The Troubles' effectively kept any thoughts of re-opening on the back burner but thanks to many unsung heroes its come back to the fore and work has started on the first part.
In his article Phillip raised the question of an inclined plane at the rock gorge as an alternative to a flight of locks. If it ever came to pass it would be a real tourist money spinner for the area.
For those unfamiliar there are 3 inclined planes in Europe, the one at Elblag in Poland uses a cradle on rails to transport boats up/down, I've not used this one.
The one in Belgium at Ronquerres is a wonderful piece of equipment and uses a caisson, our boats passed down it.
In Belgium there's also a vertical lift at Strepy Theiu which until recently was the tallest in the world. Superseded by the lift in the great gorge canal in China.
The other inclined plane is at Arzvillier in France on the Marne-Rhin canal.There are no charges for using any of these.
Should anyone require further info, Google Windmills and Wine by Geoff Woolley it will take you to a link to trawlerforum.com there you can see on pages 2, 5 and 7 posts and descriptive photos, you don't have to be a member, sign up or login to read the articles.
11 September, 2017 20:32
Apologies for the duplicated posts, I can skipper a boat better than the laptop !
12 September, 2017 16:11
Hi Geoff,
there are also another two inclined planes on the canal du Midi which have never worked due to design problems.
Peter
13 September, 2017 09:24
Don't forget the old Ducart inclined plane from the old Coalisland Canal to the actual coal mines.
You can se remains of this in fields near Newmills in Co Tyrone

Apparently Ducart was one of Napoleon's engineers. There is doubts as to whether this ever worked properly
13 September, 2017 10:09
There's a nice book called Canal Lifts and Inclines of the World by Hans-Joachim Uhlemann translated and Edited by Mike Clarke that gives details of all the lifts and the inclines. Published in 2002 so obviously doesn't include the new Chinese ones. Some info on the one at Strepy-Thieu but I think it predates the actual commissioning of the lift into general use.

I have a memory of visiting the site in the late nineties when the lift itself was finished and functional but the last couple of hundred metres of canal connecting it to the upper level of the Canal du Centre was missing!

Colin
13 September, 2017 17:50
Hello Peter.
You are partly correct, they are called water slopes and they did work but the operational costs and dying barge traffic sounded the death knell for them. Should anyone wish photo's I have them of both water slopes.
Geoff.
13 September, 2017 17:55
I had relatives around Newmills and have seen the Coalisland canal. The inclined planes of the Corsican engineer Davis Ducart, apparently had problems and never really worked well.. The transhipping after the Ulster canal coupled with cheap imported Welsh coal direct to Dublin docks put the final touches to its short lived existence.
Geoff.
13 September, 2017 17:57
Hello Colin.
It's certainly a great piece of engineering, there not even a drop of water escapes the closed ends of the caisson. Its so gentle and efficient and a joy to use.
the old verticle lift is preserved beside it for tourism.

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 28
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017