The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

craftinsure.ie

Jennifers Travels

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

PLEASE HELP WITH AIR DRAFT BRIDGES & MY POSSIBLE BOAT

Posted by Darren Whelan 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
PLEASE HELP WITH AIR DRAFT BRIDGES & MY POSSIBLE BOAT
05 September, 2017 10:27
HI Everybody,

I know there is a wealth of knowledge on this website and I have received some advise this far. Iv been looking for a boat for 6 years ......Iv fallen for a c-kip sudan 40 I'm ready to buy her but have now discovered she may be to large in her height for the irish waterways.

My understanding is that she will navigate the northern waterways fine and the shannon fine but the link between the two has a very low bridge. I will publish the details on the boat and any help you can offer would be really appreciated. Im not concerned about the other waterways but believe the boat in terms of resale must be able to navigate north and south .

C- KIP 40 sudan
length - 12.8
beam - 4.2
draft 1.4

Air drift - Iv read its 3.2 but the owner measured it with tanks half full and it measured 3.53 to the fly bridge.

What are my options .....do I have to let her go ?
Would it be able to make th journey at any point in the season ?
Do people ever crane as an option ?

Thanks you so much for reading .

I hope I can keep th dream alive !!

Darren
Re: PLEASE HELP WITH AIR DRAFT BRIDGES & MY POSSIBLE BOAT
05 September, 2017 11:06
Hi Darren,
During the recent flooding the airdraft gauge at Leitrim Village read 3.1m, but average is 3.6m. The main concern would be your beam, as clearances are usually based on a 3m width at roof level. Ballinamore and Ballyconnell would be similar. Hope this helps.

Tm53
05 September, 2017 11:48
That sounds encouraging ......i don't understand the flooding etc .....the with of the boat at the top is not as wide so that is bonus.

who or where might be the best place to get an evaluation ? i have an offer on the boat and want to purchase based on it fitting from north to south
05 September, 2017 12:02
Hi Darren,

My honest opinion is that the boat is just too big for the SEW.

Looking at photos of similar boats, the fly-bridge is very wide and the windshield extends the full width so I think there's a good chance you'll have trouble at the arched bridges.

Coupled to that the boat is 1.4m deep which is technically more than the published depth for the waterway, and we have touched bottom on more than one occasion on the SEW with a 1.2m deep boat, particularly on tight corners. While you might get under the bridges with care when the water is low, you'll probably have more in the way of depth issues.

Assuming the boat is similar to the ones I saw on the web, with two engines and with all the stern gear exposed under the boat, you will really run a serious risk of clipping props and rudders going along those narrow channels and to be honest I think there's parts of Lough Erne, specially the Upper Lough where you would be pushing your luck with 1.4 metres, specially in dry weather.

Sorry to be a killjoy but I think that boat would be a liability on the SEW, whatever about on the Shannon.

Best Wishes,

Colin
GMY Chang Sha
05 September, 2017 12:17
Thank you fro your reply , yes it is the two engine version but the probe are inside the draft measurement .....they do not protrude lover than the hull
05 September, 2017 12:42
Hi Darren,

Yes, I understand that the props and rudders will be inside the draft dimension but my point is that most likely they will be the lowest point on the boat unless it has a very deep keel or pronounced V section at the stern.
Even at that, the props are well out from the centre-line of the boat and you'll find that the canal channel bottom is basically saucer shaped and so if you stray off the centre-line at all the first thing to touch bottom will be your prop or rudder.

Colin
05 September, 2017 12:46
Would it be viable to have it lifted and craned ....... is this a problem some boats have ?
05 September, 2017 14:15
Craning it in and out would be no issue I think, and road transport would be possible too. Presumably to get it to Ireland it would need to be craned and transported by road anyway so that would give you a sense of the issues and costs involved. There's a number of companies can organise that for you.

See: [www.iwai.ie] and click on the transport tab.

Colin
05 September, 2017 17:05
ill google some companies ...... if I was trying to avoid the link between Shannon and Ern what would the pick up or drop off points be
05 September, 2017 19:01
A draft of 1.4 m is will result in you bottoming in many places .From Meelick to Athlone can be very shallow in spots. Also North of Lanesboro to Carrick there are many shallow spots. I would not touch this boat.

Pj n

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2017 19:05 by pjnorris1.
05 September, 2017 19:30
Hi again, Darren
Would agree with Colin regarding depth problem. Bringing a friend's 12' 9" beam barge up the SEW recently we clipped rock in the rock cutting approaching Lough Scur, and did some ploughing along a few sections. That was with a shallow V hull drawing one metre.
Also, the Lough Allen canal has a max allowable beam of 4m, so would be out of bounds to you.

Tm53
06 September, 2017 11:36
Hi Darren. Agree with Colin. A previous flybridge boat of ours was 3.6m to the top of the flybridge and was only able to manage the low SEW bridges especially Ballyconnel bridge on rare occasions at very low summer water levels, but that means less depth and your prospective boat is a deep 1.4m draft. IMHO 1.4m draft is not really suitable for the North Shannon especially for a twin. Even 1.2m twins have been unlucky north of Lansboro at summer levels. Killaloe bridge is the lowest bridge on the main Shannon navigation typically between 3.6 and 3.7m during summer levels. She won't fit up to Lough Allen either due the beam, just won't fit inside battle bridge lock. At 1.4m depth you could even experience problems on the river between Shannon bridge and north of Clonmacnoise. Sorry to post negatives, but better to know. We sold our previous flybridge boat because it was too high and just caused us too many bridge problems and stress. 1.4m depth though is a problem for the North Shannon and SEW. Noel
12 September, 2017 16:19
Hi Darren
I know exactly how you feel we looked at many boats and dreamed of Skippering a Mega Cruiser but reality struck hard as advice we sought from experienced Boaters brought us back to a more modest Vessel. before we bought our Late 70's Broom 35 twin prop, Some others may say this is unsuitable too, but we havent encountered any Issues, and many similar boats have done the whole Shannon Erne system,
I will agree with all the comments above and add that we only draw 1 meter or 3 Feet and noticed shallow water on the echo sounder on trips from Athlone to Carrick in 2 or 3 places below Lanesborough and across Lough Tap just below Albert Lock, and we were out in Middle channel, and the Summer level wasnt abnormally low,

There is nothing better than shallow water to scare the Heck out of you

The depths below our keel spotted were from 1 foot and 1.5 and 2 feet, it gets scary in Mid Channel when you see these readings
Best guess is dont do it as it will cause a lot of stress and many bumps along the way. Your draft at 4 Ft 6" is deep for a cruiser so lock sills might be a problem in low water also, we previously had a Sailing boat with 4 Ft 6" draft and worried about grounding in Bays and off channel all the time.

Resale prospects for any boat should always be considered when Purchasing.

Good luck and best wishes
25 October, 2017 22:44
Hi Darren,
we draw 52 inches, thats 1.34m. we travel north to enniskillen most years with no issues. Have touched the cill on SEW once but other than that no issues.
26 October, 2017 22:59
Hello Darren. Jonathon Kennedy Boat Haulage could sort you out. He is in and out of Quivvy Marina near Belturbet quite often. He has good equipment and seems to know all the Marinas.
Drew

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 24
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017