The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

craftinsure.ie

Barrowline Cruisers

Deakin Marine

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

The last curtain is dropped

Posted by Udo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Udo
The last curtain is dropped
25 October, 2017 18:09
Hey Colin !
After that circumstance about the harbour hoggers, me and my wife have decided, that it was the last time, our visit at the shannonside. We've heard promise after promise from the WI members and their boss, and what happened ?? Absolutely nothing !! We are very disappointed about the promise ,concerning the overfilled harbours and moorings, the most boats equipped with spider webs more than in any zoologic garden.
Colin – my two cents worth there is another problem. Ireland streets are empty, buildings decline or falling into disrepair, a burger costs 8 E !!! Yes Colin --- 8 E !!Rising prices are not proper to combat the economic problems.
After 29 visits I've noticed that this all hurts me so much, that I think its better to leave my second home and the country, that I loved so well !!
Sorry for my poor english !
U.Vogel

Re: The last curtain is dropped
26 October, 2017 18:42
Quote:
Udo
Hey Colin !
After that circumstance about the harbour hoggers, me and my wife have decided, that it was the last time, our visit at the shannonside. We've heard promise after promise from the WI members and their boss, and what happened ?? Absolutely nothing !! We are very disappointed about the promise ,concerning the overfilled harbours and moorings, the most boats equipped with spider webs more than in any zoologic garden.
Colin – my two cents worth there is another problem. Ireland streets are empty, buildings decline or falling into disrepair, a burger costs 8 E !!! Yes Colin --- 8 E !!Rising prices are not proper to combat the economic problems.
After 29 visits I've noticed that this all hurts me so much, that I think its better to leave my second home and the country, that I loved so well !!
Sorry for my poor english !
U.Vogel
[attachment 5442 Juli.JPG]

Where did you pay €8 for a burger Udo?

Agree about the harbours.

Not sure about the empty streets - small towns on the upper Shannon? Ireland has (and has always had since the Famine) underpopulation in the Midlands,
I expect that there is a slow recovery from the economic crash, slowest in the N Midlands maybe?

Sorry to lose your posts.

John
27 October, 2017 09:40
Hi Udo,

Sorry to hear you are giving up. I can't comment on the quality of the hire boats, it's so long since we hired one. As to the empty streets, I would have said that while there are problems in some places for sure, our experience this season was that things were looking up. The towns and villages we visited seemed busier than in recent years.

The harbour hogging is a problem, though not everywhere. We didn't have any real difficulty getting a berth anywhere this year and Chang Sha needs a lot more space than most hire boats. Waterways Ireland has a real problem in so far as they have very limited resources (their budget has been cut very severely over the last several years) and they are dealing with legislation that isn't fit for purpose. It is very difficult for them to prosecute harbour hoggers or impound their boats without a huge amount of legal re-tape which is expensive and time consuming. That of course is not your problem but it does explain why they find it hard to act. It seems there are always people out there who will take advantage of situations and pursue their own selfish agenda at the expense of everyone else.

I am curious about the €8.00 burger though. Are we talking Macdonalds or Captain Americas? If it's the former, then it seems expensive but not the latter.

Do stay in touch.

Best Wishes,

Colin
GMY Chang Sha
Udo
27 October, 2017 14:49
Where did you pay €8 for a burger Udo?

Hello Colin !

Its was during a shopping visit in Athlone here

2 small Burger and 2 little diet coke 23 E !!

b.r. Udo
27 October, 2017 14:58
Udo , you could have bought a pub lunch for that kind of money. However €15 for a burger and frozen chips in a Terryglass pub ,now that's a rip off .
Udo
27 October, 2017 15:28
Hello
It was only a poor burger und a small diet coke each person, but thats not the problem. The problem are the hoggers in a land which is known for his overwhelming hospitality.
Udo
27 October, 2017 20:06
Have to disagree with your view on the quality of the food in Eddie Rockets. I've been a fan of their burgers and hotdogs for many years, and was pleasantly surprised to find one in Athlone a couple of weeks ago while ferrying a barge from Killaloe to Leitrim. Granted they are not cheap, but then it's not Mac D's or Supermacs, as the quality of the food makes clear.
As for the "ghost towns" image, have to say not my experience. Plenty of markets, lots of pop up cafes and shops, most places done up for Tidy Towns competition. We are, thankfully, a small country with lots of quiet places, despite the excesses of the Boom Decade and attempts by developers to "upgrade" every corner of the country.

Tm53

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 35
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017