The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

craftinsure.ie

Barrowline Cruisers

Jennifers Travels

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Garmin 551 - help needed

Posted by John Geary 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Garmin 551 - help needed
25 October, 2017 23:25
I have just acquired a new boat which comes with a Garmin 551. To date I have been using the charts for Garmin Nuvi. My question is will these work in the 551. If not, what are the alternatives? Any help appreciated.

John

John Geary
(Rose - E - Belle)
Re: Garmin 551 - help needed
28 October, 2017 12:38
Quote:
John Geary
I have just acquired a new boat which comes with a Garmin 551. To date I have been using the charts for Garmin Nuvi. My question is will these work in the 551. If not, what are the alternatives? Any help appreciated.
John

Hi John. Nuvi charts generally will not work in marine chart plotters. However the good news is that since 2011 the 551/451 and their successors come preloaded free with the entire Ireland/UK coastal waters including the Shannon, SEW and Erne inland coverage. If your particular 551 plotter is older than that you can download the latest unit software and chart update from the Garmin web site. All entry level Garmin marine chart plotters now include UK/Ireland charts including many of the newer models such echoMap, GpsMap 557, 751, etc. You also have the iPhone/iPad BlueChart mobile App option, but smartphones and tablets are not marine friendly unless used inside a sheltered wheelhouse. Noel

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 40
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017