Jennifers Travels

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Renting a Canal Boat

Posted by Rebecca Gould 
Renting a Canal Boat
09 November, 2017 08:13
Hi folks,

I've been searching and searching for anything to rent around Ireland for a block period of time. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
Re: Renting a Canal Boat
09 November, 2017 09:08
How long were you thinking of Rebecca, and when in the year?
09 November, 2017 10:58
Hi Rebecca,
Are you looking for a live aboard, and if so what area?? I may know of someone who would be interested in a medium to long term rent.
PM me if you can.

Tm53
09 November, 2017 13:09
Hi Jennifer
There are 2 Canal Hire boat hire advertisers here on the Paid section to the left hand side of the Forum
[www.barrowline.ie]
[www.jenniferztravels.com]
Hope that helps
12 November, 2017 17:21
Hi Paul

I'm looking to rent from the end of January until September.

Thanks
12 November, 2017 17:23
Hi Robbie

I didn't realise about the forum links. Thanks

Rebecca
14 November, 2017 20:02
Quote:
Rebecca Gould
Hi Paul
I'm looking to rent from the end of January until September.

Thanks

I too was going to suggest a hire boat. That in the off season, November to April, one of them may hire to you long term. Depending on what you were planning to do with it.

They may also hire to you peak season, but I would expect to pay near holiday rates then.

The reason why I suggest hire boats, is that they most likely hold a commercial license from WI and are properly insured. To run a commercial venture, on the canals at least (and maybe the whole system), the person renting/ hiring to you should hold the proper license to satisfy the "bareboat" clause or similar of their insurance policy.

If they don't and the worst happens, you were the skipper, you're liable. You can't insure it yourself as you have to have a vested interest in the vessel.

I've heard of some people agreeing to a "caretaker" arrangement. Don't know how the insurance company might view it if the proverbial hits the fan, I've never seen a caretaker clause in an insurance policy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 30
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017