Inland Waterways Association of Ireland

The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

craftinsure.ie

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Naas reopening 1987 - Photo's wanted

Posted by Colin Becker 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Naas reopening 1987 - Photo's wanted
17 January, 2018 09:53
Greetings,

In the spring issue of IWN, we are running a piece on the re-opeing of the Naas line in 1987. The opening ceremony was performed by "Pee" Flynn from Peter Hanna's Boat (I think it was Lady Penlyric at the time).

I remember being there by road and have a vague memory of a barge getting stuck in one of the locks (was it you Les?) but unfortunately can't put my hand on any of the photos.

Would anyone have any photos of the event from that period?

I'd also like some nice photos of the recent festivities there to mark the 30 years.

Colin
Editor, IWN
Re: Naas reopening 1987 - Photo's wanted
17 January, 2018 17:14
Thanks for the memory Colin, yes it was me who got stuck. Had to reverse all the way down to the Grand canal in the end.. Gates were just half an inch too narrow. I think they shaved them a bit later.
Les 41M
Re: Naas reopening 1987 - Photo's wanted
17 January, 2018 21:36
Colin,

Suggest contacting Barbara Sheridan of Kildare Nationalist. She ran a feature in 15th May 1987 edition with pics by Pat Deasy. They should have copies for publication perhaps?

Dave

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 13
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017