Inland Waterways Association of Ireland

The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

craftinsure.ie

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

MN#4/18 - SHANNON NAVIGATION - Portumna Slipway Closed

Posted by Colin Becker 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
MN#4/18 - SHANNON NAVIGATION - Portumna Slipway Closed
26 January, 2018 10:22
Greetings,

The attached Marine Notice just in from Waterways Ireland

Best Wishes,

Colin
GMY Chang Sha
==============================begins=======================
MARINE NOTICE No 4 of 2018
Shannon Navigation
Temporary Closure of Slipway Adjoining N65 Bridge Road in Portumna

Waterways Ireland wishes to advise masters, owners of vessels that, following a review of the ESB Shannon Forecasting Model and an inspection of water levels at Portumna, Galway County Council will install flood defence barriers across the slipway adjoining the N65 Bridge Road in Portumna between Emerald Star & WI Offices.

While these barriers remain in place the slipway will not be available for normal operations.

These measures are being introduced in an effort to ensure the N65 roadway in Portumna remains free from flooding and open to traffic flow during the current severe weather conditions.

The flood defences in question will remain in place while a flood threat exists to the adjoining N65

Waterways Ireland thanks its customers for their co-operation in this matter and will advise once flood defences have been removed.

Shane Anderson
Assistant Inspector of Navigation
25 January 2018
Tel: + 353 57 9373406
==================================ends====================
Re: MN#4/18 - SHANNON NAVIGATION - Portumna Slipway Closed
26 January, 2018 10:24
What I find interesting about this notice is that to my knowledge this slipway is actually private property, not technically under the control of either WI or Galway Co. Co!

While the notice says they will close it off, my understanding is that it was actually closed off yesterday.

Best Wishes,

Colin
27 January, 2018 20:57
Quote:
Colin Becker
What I find interesting about this notice is that to my knowledge this slipway is actually private property, not technically under the control of either WI or Galway Co. Co!
While the notice says they will close it off, my understanding is that it was actually closed off yesterday.

Best Wishes,

Colin

Hi Colin.
I'm planning to sail from LDYC Dromineer tomorrow Sunday 28 Jan.

I see the Notices for Portumna and Mountshannon.

Any locals care to comment on the situation in each?

Thanks John
28 January, 2018 08:22
Colin

if you take a close look this wall it forms part of the ESB flood defences which extend from Lough Derg to Meelick
The wall extending from the Bridge to Connaught Harbour is a parallel defence to the earthen embankment on the other side

The wall has been breached by development works in a number of places and major development allowed on the wet side of the defence.

Is this section of wall the responsibility of the ESB from a flood defence perspective ?

John do join the conversation and forget about making snowballs
28 January, 2018 08:49
Quote:
Meelickman
Colin
if you take a close look this wall it forms part of the ESB flood defences which extend from Lough Derg to Meelick
The wall extending from the Bridge to Connaught Harbour is a parallel defence to the earthen embankment on the other side

The wall has been breached by development works in a number of places and major development allowed on the wet side of the defence.

Is this section of wall the responsibility of the ESB from a flood defence perspective ?

Sound advice Donal.

Seriously I'm just asking what the flooding situation is in Mountshannon and Portumna.

J
28 January, 2018 20:23
Quote:
John.Kinsella1
Quote:
Meelickman
Colin

Sound advice Donal.

Seriously I'm just asking what the flooding situation is in Mountshannon and Portumna.

J

Water level in Dromineer (LDYC) significantly up this Sunday morning.

Had to wade almost knee deep to berth.

Had a nice sail to Garry for lunch, 3 on board - strong & gusty SW so tried out my 3rd reef - not really needed but in January no harm in being careful.

Saw a brave solo windsurfer - well done that man.

HNY to all.

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/01/2018 21:07 by John.Kinsella1.

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 15
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017