craftinsure.ie

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Royal Canal Opening

Posted by Colin Becker 
Re: Royal Canal Opening
19 September, 2010 18:29
The formal opening reception is by invitation as is normal after the reception on Friday the festivities are available to all

Dave
26 September, 2010 21:39
Lovely piece in today's Sunday Times on the re-opening of the Royal.

Greg Whelan
VP - IWAI
Royal Opening
28 September, 2010 16:45
Anyone thinking of heading for the Royal Opening this Friday needs to be
aware the Airdraft on the Camlin Road Bridge is 10'9" and decreasing with
rainfall of which there is plenty forecast ,Moorings are limited and it is
suggested to raft across the Camlin ,again watch the strong flow ,ideally
turning back into the current ,Barges excepted !!! . Richmond Harbour will
be open normal hours from Sat but is restricted on the Friday .There is no
invitation needed to join in the fest ivies only to a Waterways Ireland
reception in the Marquee for about an hour on Fri Afternoon otherwise all
welcome .The Official opening is at 2PM Friday and an IWAI Boat will come up
from the Camlin with several more coming from the Canal . Clondra Village
will have traffic restrictions from 12pm to 4pm on the day .The IWAI will
host a Coffee Morning on Sat [AG] 11AM at the Bridge and the Exhibition Trailer
will be there all weekend Please try to make it Paul
Re: Royal Opening
28 September, 2010 22:35
Hi Greg, I thought the piece in The Times didn't give half enough credit to the volunteers who drove the project for many a year until the OPW were finally forced to come on board. Didn't the volunteers buy a dragline and started dredging Kilcock .I think Ian Bath and Mick Clinton were heavily involved.

Maybe it's time someone wrote a true account of the fight to save The Royal.

Cheers PjN
28 September, 2010 22:45
Hello PJ,
I think you'll find that the "true account" has indeed been written. Get hold of "Ireland’s Royal Canal 1789-2009" by Ruth Delany and Ian Bath - the 2nd half of the book is devoted to the restoration effort - its available from the IWAI shop - [shop.iwai.ie]

The following review appeared in the Spring 2010 issue of IWN:

2010 should hopefully see the re-opening of the Royal Canal from the Shannon to the Liffey. Those of you thinking about exploring the Royal will want three companions. For practicality, you’ll want the revised Guide to the Royal Canal, whose publication is imminent. For comparative purposes, you’ll want L.T.C. Rolt’s classic Green & Silver which documents his journey on both Grand and Royal canals in 1946. To get an appreciation of the effort that went into building the canal not once, but twice, you’ll want to read "Ireland’s Royal Canal 1789-2009" by Ruth Delany and Ian Bath.

This lavish and beautifully produced book is timely in its appearance and will be appreciated by all with an interest in Ireland’s waterways. It’s a book to be savoured at home by the fire while contemplating your planned trip up the Royal Canal.

Part one of the book traces the history of canal, chronicling the reasons for its existence, the choice of route, the difficulties of construction, the on-going hemorrhaging of money and the on-going rivalry with the Grand Canal. The peak trading years when passage boats carried passengers in their thousands is evocatively covered – the night boat took 13 hours to travel from Dublin to Mullingar, 20 hours to get to Longford - the day boat (a faster fly boat) took 7.5hrs to Mullingar. The slow decline after the take-over by the Midland Great Western Railway in 1845 is also well covered with weeds and broken locks apparent even in the 1870s. The book rewards the historian with its obvious scholarship but there’s plenty of the human touch to reward the more casual reader .

The second part of the book is from the pen of Ian Bath and it details the story of the restoration of the canal, from the founding of the Royal Canal Amenity Group. It is profusely illustrated, with many “before” and “after” photographs and pictures of enthusiastic volunteers hard at work. It is a tale of persistence well rewarded. These chapters detailing the restoration of the Royal will provide hope and despair to those who champion the restoration efforts on the Ulster & Newry canals and the Lagan and Boyne navigations: “hope” when they read the story of the transformation of the derelict Royal Canal to a navigable waterway; “despair” when they realise the length of time and amount of effort the path to restoration has taken.

Lest we get too carried away, the work is not quite complete and a number of obstacles to “easy” navigation still exist at the Dublin end of the canal, specifically an ESB cable, a non-operational Sheriff St. bridge and a CIE bridge bolted in place.

The book opens with Ruth Delany relating the voyage of Hark, the last boat to have navigated the full length of the canal in 1955. Ruth was one of a crew of six on Hark. It is encouraging to think that, should she take a notion, she may again have the opportunity to repeat that journey a mere 55 years on and almost 50 years since the Royal Canal was closed to navigation in 1961.

/M

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/09/2010 22:59 by Michael Slevin.
28 September, 2010 22:49
... and there are a few photos of the Dublin Branch boat en-route to Clondra.
(1) giving youngsters mini cruises at Mountjoy Jail as part of this year's "Phizzfest" (12/09/10)

(2) leaving Kilcock (25/09/10)

(3) at a wet 39th lock today (28/09/10)

The canal is very weedy but hopefully traffic will see this improve.
/M

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/09/2010 22:54 by Michael Slevin.
Re: Royal Opening
28 September, 2010 23:24
Hi Paul

We're planning to be there, but do need to duck out for a while on Sat!
Planning to leave a car there, but not sure where I can be sure of being able to get it out on the day!
Any suggestions?

Duncan
Re: Re: Royal Opening
28 September, 2010 23:44
Hi PJ

The RCAG actually bought TWO draglines, both Ruston Bucyrus. One was a 10RB, a nice readily transported machine, but lacking in absolute grunt. The other, a 22RB, was a behemoth and could easily have been used to excavate a new canal, never mind dredge an old one!
What happened to them, I wonder!

Duncan
28 September, 2010 23:58
Hi Paul.
I hope to get there by water on Saturday morning or Friday evening.
What are my chances of getting into the harbour.
Who will be looking after Burke's lock and the 46th
John
RE: Royal Opening
29 September, 2010 00:30
Hi Duncan Sat should be ok no road closures and normal lock times ,obviously it will be busy but I reckon you will brazen your way through Cheers Paul
Re: Re: Royal Opening
29 September, 2010 08:47
There is Ruston Bucyrus in a barge moored to the bank on the royal Canal
north of Kinnegad. (Between Killucan and Hill of the Down.) I have pictures
somewhere. Its in a sorry state.

Paul Mc Cann

On 28 September 2010 23:44, wrote:

> Hi PJ
>
> The RCAG actually bought TWO draglines, both Ruston Bucyrus. One was a
> 10RB, a nice readily transported machine, but lacking in absolute grunt. The
> other, a 22RB, was a behemoth and could easily have been used to excavate a
> new canal, never mind dredge an old one!
> What happened to them, I wonder!
>
> Duncan
>
Re: Re: Royal Canal Opening
29 September, 2010 09:05
Michael,

I would have to disagree with your opinion that "Ireland?s Royal Canal
1789-2009" is a " a lavish and beautifully produced book" I was very
disappointed at the quality of it and thought that many of the photographic
reproductions were poorly done. Don't get me wrong. I bought it and enjoyed
reading it but somehow, as a part time bibliophile, it didn't light my fire.

This is purely a *personal *OPINION. I don't need the usual oiks slamming
into me for making it.

Paul Mc Cann

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/09/2010 18:27 by Michael Slevin.
29 September, 2010 12:17
Michael Slevin wrote "..............a few photos of the Dublin Branch boat en-route to Clondra".

Great to see the Dublin IWAI Boat on its way to the other end of the Royal.

Beth
Aqualegia
29 September, 2010 19:06
Hope to be there (by road) on friday afternoon to see this historic moment,a monumental achievement for all concerned in the the voluntary and official work over the last fifty years to make this happen,well done to all involved.smileys with beer
29 September, 2010 20:15
Heres a few pics I took on Wed 15th Sept, ( some "Hoggers" back onto the new floating jetties )

29 September, 2010 20:19
a few more pics from the 15th Sept, with some painting being carried out in the dry dock.

29 September, 2010 20:24
and more from the 15th Sept, Camlin River was in flood then.

29 September, 2010 20:27
oh, the last one from the 15th Sep, Camlin River, also have a few from June, must look then up & post them too

29 September, 2010 20:34
Now thats what i call a proper post.......as they say a picture paints a thousand word`s,the place looks fantastic,
thanks for the pics "Pas Vite"
29 September, 2010 20:34
A few pics taken earlier today.
Richmond Harbour looking splendid in fabulous Sunshine.
10 out of 10 to WI for a job really well done.

Views from the bridge

Men at work (WI)

The Dry-dock ready for business

Some people just always have to at the front of the queue....!

And it sometimes pays off.....
72M first GC boat entering Richmond harbour since the clean up. A number of boats were being positioned for the official opening on Friday and were being permitted through today.

Followed by Sakeena

And followed by 4E

I beleve this boat is representing the French town that is twinned with Clondara (well they had a French flag on board anyhow......)

eeeehh, What is this , a blockade in the making ?
Doesn't everyone know that it's cement trucks that you use for a really good blockade nowadays

Rgds
Richard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 4
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017