The Inland Waterways Association of Ireland  
Home | Search | About IWAI | Join the IWAI | News and Events | FAQ | Sitemap |

Warning: include(../dynamic11.inc): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/i558806/public_html/forum/cache/tpl-iwai.06.backup-header-986c19fe12d0512e9c74058a28bbfe8c.php-stage2 on line 194

Warning: include(): Failed opening '../dynamic11.inc' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php:/home/i558806/php:/home/i558806/php/PEAR:/home/i558806/public_html/forum:/home/i558806/public_html/forum/mods:/home/i558806/public_html/forum/include/api/') in /home/i558806/public_html/forum/cache/tpl-iwai.06.backup-header-986c19fe12d0512e9c74058a28bbfe8c.php-stage2 on line 194

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

One of our photos of the month
Send us yours!

... and here's one from the past!

Locations of visitors to this page

Press Release - “A Very Different Royal Event”

Posted by Gregory Whelan 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Press Release - “A Very Different Royal Event”
29 April, 2011 15:33
First Leisure Boat traffic from the Shannon arrives in Dublin via the Royal Canal in over 50 years.

Saturday 30th April from 8am to 4pm, journeying from Blanchardstown to Phibsboro. There is a Reception at Shandon Gardens, Phibsboro from 4pm

This marks the 50th Anniversary of the Royal Canal closing to navigation by commercial and leisure traffic in 1961, by the return to Dublin of Heritage Boat, FLOAT NO. 3 (built c. 1870), an original horse drawn Royal Canal trading boat.

IWAI is also commemorating the 65th Anniversary of LTC Rolt's voyage and subsequent book, Green & Silver, by encouraging leisure traffic from The Shannon to Dublin and back along the Royal and Grand Canal's, through the offer of a plaque and certificate to each boat which completes the Green & Silver Route

Making the current journey are a number of Shannon and UK based vessels and the heritage sailing barge Ebenhaezer.

Dublin Branch of the Inland Waterways Association of Ireland.

Phizzfest – Phibsboro Community Festival
Come along and see the event, music by the Finglas Concert and Marching Band
Highlight the opening of the Royal Canal
This event marks the opening of the Royal Canal into Dublin from the river Shannon. October 1st, 2010 saw the official re-opening of the Royal Canal at Richmond Harbour, Clondra. This was a truly welcome development and long awaited by those interested in the Irish Waterways – the 36-year restoration campaign is very well documented in Ruth Delany and Ian Bath’s Ireland's Royal Canal, 1789-2009 published late last year.
This flotilla has made the journey from the Shannon to Dublin and will return via the Grand Canal. In an effort to encourage people to make the circular journey, the Dublin Branch of the IWAI has commissioned certificates & commemorative plaques to be awarded to vessels completing the route. We’ve taken the liberty of naming the route the Green & Silver route. Tom Rolt was the first to document a successful transit of the route in his book Green & Silver, a book which had such a positive influence on the development of the Irish waterways. The name Green & Silver also echoes the mixed urban & rural nature of the route.

Greg Whelan

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 39
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017