Inland Waterways Association of Ireland

The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

craftinsure.ie

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2

Posted by N Griffin 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2
07 April, 2010 21:42
Hi Folks

The shape of things to come - just to wet your appetite. smiling smiley

Dave and myself are busy working on the next generation of the Shannon maps for Garmin GPS plotters. We are making good progress and testing has gone well. So far we have tested the new Shannon maps on Garmin 451, 551, 556, 6008, 276C, 2106C, 76Cx, 292C and various Nuvi's. Listed below are some of the features of the new information maps. We are adding a lot of detailed information to these new maps. Dave and myself will keep the list updated on progress next month. Hope it's worth waiting for! smiling smiley

Noel

Ireland Shannon G2
1. Marine style and features
2. Coverage area: Inland Shannon from Leitrim to Limerick (ie inc Limerick/Ardnacrusha navigation)
3. Shaded depth contours (Derg + Ree)
4. Spot depths (Derg + Ree)
5. Passage routes (ie handrail down the lake)
6. Navigation markers
7. Public and Private harbours
8. Marina layouts
9. Land based POIs such as restaurants, shops, fuel, services, amenities, attractions, phone no's

Lough Derg - Spot depths on

Lough Derg - Zoomed out spot depths off (decluttered)

Lough Derg

Killaloe - Marina + Harbour layouts, land POIs

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2010 21:46 by OceanFroggie.
Re: New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2
07 April, 2010 21:47
They look fantastic!!
Anyone that has used these owe an enormous thanks to Noel and Dave et al, well done again and i for one am looking forward to the new versions.
07 April, 2010 21:50
Looking excellent Noel/Dave,
Can I throw away my old admiralty chart now ! ! !
Cant wait for the release.
Well done
R

Rgds
Richard Ellis

Virginia Lady
07 April, 2010 21:57
They look fantastic, Noel & Dave. Can't wait to try them

Les 41M
07 April, 2010 22:00
thanks dave and noel.
super work.
looks fantastic.
can't wait
08 April, 2010 00:41
One question Noel, will they work on nRoute, and if not, any idea how to get them onto the big screen. My assumption is if they work on legacy 276C, they should work on nRoute, but it would be nice to know. A good few of us are now using the laptop to view, the auld eyesight ain't too good reading depths off a 4 inch screen.

Les 41M.
08 April, 2010 07:06
Absolutely fantastic work, Noel and Dave.

Very well done.
08 April, 2010 07:54
Quote:
Les Saunders
One question Noel, will they work on nRoute, and if not, any idea how to get them onto the big screen. My assumption is if they work on legacy 276C, they should work on nRoute, but it would be nice to know. A good few of us are now using the laptop to view, the auld eyesight ain't too good reading depths off a 4 inch screen.

Hi Les. I'd assume, so, BUT I'll try the maps later today with nRoute which is still on my old laptop. Garmin have discontinued nRoute, so any of you who still have the install file, please keep it as it can no longer be downloaded from the Garmin site (ie if you ever want to install it on another PC in the future)

08 April, 2010 10:35
Quote:
OceanFroggie
Hi Les. I'd assume, so, BUT I'll try the maps later today with nRoute which is still on my old laptop. Garmin have discontinued nRoute, so any of you who still have the install file, please keep it as it can no longer be downloaded from the Garmin site (ie if you ever want to install it on another PC in the future)

I've posted this before, but just to keep it in the thread for future searchers ...

nRoute and other old versions of GPS software
can be found at [www.gawisp.com]

Save this link - you will need it smiling smiley
08 April, 2010 16:10
when willl they be available for download or sale?? welldone time well spent
08 April, 2010 18:15
Dave/Noel.

They look great! Can't wait to get a copysmiling bouncing smiley

Congrats and well done. All users will forever be in your debt:-))

Regards

Peter
09 April, 2010 16:11
Quote:
Les Saunders
Les 41M.

Hi Les

I tried them with nRoute earlier (see screens below) and it seems to work. Some of the colours are a bit off as nRoute doesn't support some of the marine types nor custom types (ie shannon buoy shapes). But it's not bad. Forestry appears as dashed lines rather than green, hence islands are dashed rather than green.

nRoute screen dump - Derg

nRoute screen dump - Killaloe

Myself and Dave were testing the charts yesterday on the new Nuvi 620 and a GpsMap 6008 8" plotter. The new Nuvi looks impressive and seems to be the 276C replacement. It's touch screen and a lot bigger than the 276C screen, but personally I prefer buttons for panning and zooming than touch screen.

09 April, 2010 19:43
Looks grand Noel. Many thanks for the tests. Great news.

Les 41M
Re: Re: New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2
09 April, 2010 20:37
> Posted at: [www.iwai.ie]
> Conor Nolan wrote:
>
> nRoute and other old versions of GPS software
> can be found at [www.gawisp.com]

How much of [www.gawisp.com] do I need to
download/install?

Regards, Nick
09 April, 2010 23:40
Just the one at the bottom 276. That was the last release. Not sure if there are any prerequisites - i.e. Mapsource installed.
10 April, 2010 00:49
Hi Conor, I needed Mapsource the last time I installed.

Les 41M
10 April, 2010 08:06
> Les Saunders wrote:
>
> Hi Conor, I needed Mapsource the last time I installed.
>
> Les 41M

Thank you Conor and Les. I had Mapsource 6.13.4 which I have now
brought up to date, 6.15.11.

Regards, Nick
10 April, 2010 09:41
Quote:
Nick Spalding
> Les Saunders wrote:
>
> Hi Conor, I needed Mapsource the last time I installed.
>
> Les 41M

Thank you Conor and Les. I had Mapsource 6.13.4 which I have now
brought up to date, 6.15.11.

Regards, Nick

Frog's recommendation is to use Mapsource version 6.13.7 and to avoid 6.15 versions as they have a distorted aspect ration. I'm actually running both for the chart testing but do all the donkey work testing with 6.13.7 which was the last good release that didn't stretch the aspect ratio but had SD card support.

Re: Re: Re: New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2
10 April, 2010 10:27
> OceanFroggie wrote:
>
> Frog's recommendation is to use Mapsource version 6.13.7 and to avoid 6.15 versions as they have a distorted aspect ration. I'm actually running both for the chart testing but do all the donkey work testing with 6.13.7 which was the last good release that didn't stretch the aspect ratio but had SD card support.

Thanks, I will downgrade!

Regards, Nick
13 April, 2010 21:22
May I add my voice to the list of those that have expressed sincere thanks to Dave, ably assisted by Noel, for not only creating and updating the ShannonCharts but also for making them available as 'Freeware' to all of us who cruise on the Shannon.

The current version was invaluable on recent trips to Athlone where water levels were so high and flooding so widespread that it was difficult to be sure what was the navigable channel! The ShannonCharts provided instant confirmation and a welcome re-assurance that we were on the right track!

Looking forward to the new version.

Thanks to you both.

Regards,

Paul,
"Arthur"

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 8
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017