Inland Waterways Association of Ireland

The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

Allianz Boat Insurance

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2

Posted by N Griffin 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2
13 April, 2010 21:34
Here here Paul, I find them great for going up rivers when there is no wind, It's very hard to tell where the river ends and the trees begin, so you can't tell which way the next bend goes, which you need to know in a barge, so you can line up the bow correctly.
Can't wait for the new ones...

Les 41M
13 April, 2010 22:01
The question was asked about whether they will remain free. Its currently a debate amongst us as to what to do. Firslty there is significant out of pocket expenses in survey this area as you can imagine. Secondly we are probably going to offer "locked" versions of teh charts. This means that the chart will only work against the serial number of the plotter that is entered when you download it. This is becuase primarily we have to stop commercial sellers of GPS, downloading and using it to sell their GPS;s, as this breaks the terms of our copyright aggrements.

unforunately to produce locked versions, we enter into the land of commercial pricing for the tools used to build the charts, hence we have to recover this.

However if we do ( and its a big topic) charge , it will be small beer type numbers, ( round or two of drinks type money)

Dave
13 April, 2010 22:24
hi dave.
that sounds good to me.
the amount of time you and noel have put in to the new charts, ye will be very thirsty when ye have finished.
we have good porty in lecarrow.
any one that wants them will appreciate them more.
what i have seen so far,
the amount of information and quality the new charts have .
well worth a charge.
13 April, 2010 23:01
Hi Dave,
Being originally a "Monaghan man" it sort of goes against the grain to recommend that something which was previously free should be charged for.....!

However, in this case, the amount of use and the peace of mind that I have previously gotten out of the "Shannon charts" has been absolutly priceless to me.

I would happily pay a reasonable price for such a valuable navigation aid.thumbs up

Cant wait to get my hands on them smiling bouncing smiley spinning smiley sticking its tongue out smiling bouncing smiley
Rgds
R

Rgds
Richard Ellis

Virginia Lady
13 April, 2010 23:08
Fully agree, no problem here with a reasonable charge, well worth it.

Les 41M
Re: Re: New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2
14 April, 2010 02:20
On 13/04/2010 22:01, IWAI forum Dave McCabe wrote:
> Posted at: [www.iwai.ie]
> Dave McCabe wrote:
>
> The question was asked about whether they will remain free. Its currently a debate amongst us as to what to do.
>
S N I P
> However if we do ( and its a big topic) charge , it will be small beer type numbers, ( round or two of drinks type money)
>
> Dave
>

Would those be glasses or pints?

Only joking....I find it difficult to imagine how any user of the
Shannoncharts could object to paying the equivalent of a round or two of
drinks to support the development of the charts. Well worth the nominal
cost.

Now, on the other hand, if someone was drinking quadruple brandies or
magnums of champagne........

Paul,
"Arthur"

and still only joking ... :-)
14 April, 2010 22:33
Interesting comments. The other issue that may require money is liability insurance. The new charts are so close to the standard of commercial products , like Garmins Bluecharts ( we use them as a reference) that even with all the usual provisos, these charts can hardly now be described as amateur in nature.. Hence its a risk that needs to covered.

Dave
15 April, 2010 18:01
These charts look great and I think that the inclusion of land based points of interest is especially welcome - something that the paper charts are often lacking. Telephone numbers even?! Does this mean that I could phone ahead to the local hostelry to have the Guinness poured ready for my arrival? As someone who has held off on purchasing a GPS for the boat in anticipation of the new charts, I would welcome any advice on which model I should consider (reasonable cost is also an important factor). It would only be the Shannon charts which I would be running on it.

As mentioned by other posters, I have no problem paying a modest charge to recompense Dave and Noel for the unimaginable work (to me anyway!) that they must have undertaken to produce these.

Thanks,

Rich
COOL BLUE
16 April, 2010 08:04
Me too, I have no problem paying a modest charge to recompense Dave and Noel for the unimaginable work.
But just a few thoughts about "locked" versions of the map.
Not everybody is using your maps with Garmin...
E.g. I use it with GPSMapedit (www.geopainting.com) on my laptop. So I hope there will no "lite" free version and a pro version for Garmin users...
BTW: Can't wait for release! hot smiley

greetings from vienna

Chris
03 May, 2010 17:23
Sample below of harbour detail expected for harbours, private and public on the new charts. Watch this space. smiling smiley

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin
03 May, 2010 20:39
Hi Noel
so how come I can't see Breakaway on her berth in LDYC then? Tut tut.

Seriously fantastic work by you & Dave Mc C.

As others have said, a payment in recognition of your work and maybe to cover you against compo claims seems very reasonable.

Look forward to loading it up when released..

John

SV Breakaway

Quote:
OceanFroggie
Sample below of harbour detail expected for harbours, private and public on the new charts. Watch this space. smiling smiley

06 May, 2010 01:08
Quote:
Me too, I have no problem paying a modest charge to recompense Dave and Noel for the unimaginable work.
But just a few thoughts about "locked" versions of the map.
Not everybody is using your maps with Garmin...
E.g. I use it with GPSMapedit (www.geopainting.com) on my laptop. So I hope there will no "lite" free version and a pro version for Garmin users...

Unfortunately there will not be a version like that anymore. in order to control the copying of the charts and to prevent their commercial explotation by third parties, the usage you decribe will not be possible.

We may produce versions for use on a PC and say iphone, but the charts wll have to be accessed via a SD card reader. We are looking at providing the charts on a locked Garmin datacard and SD card that can only be used in the registered Garmin plotter. Still thinking of what to do in this area

The modest charge is not by way of compensation, more to pay for the tools and ongoing cost of data collection.
10 May, 2010 09:49
Quote:
Dave McCabe
++++CUT++++ We may produce versions for use on a PC and say iphone, but the charts wll have to be accessed via a SD card reader. ++++CUT++++

I don't have to use GPSmapedit as my PC program, if you "produce" another program, I'm happy with it!

iphone version?? YOU ARE MY MAN!!!! the finger smiley

greetings from vienna

Chris
11 May, 2010 09:20
Dave

What is the latest expected date for availability of the new charts?

Regards

Jim
11 May, 2010 23:09
The charts look great - perfect for a newbie like me. Just wondering which Garmin Nuvi or similar priced article is worth going for? One which will definately run the new charts as I understand some do not. North Shannoner but looking forward to venturing south during the summer. Grateful for any advice.

John
Alt
12 May, 2010 10:30
John - Depends if you want a big screen infront of you for 'wow' factor, or something practical like a portable device which you can bring with you.

The Garmin 5xx series are fixed units with decent sized screens
I still love my Garmin 276c as I can bring it on other's boats, or bring it with me when taking soundings etc.
12 May, 2010 10:53
Suggested options to consider:

1. Gpsmap 451 or 451s for fixed 4" screen and value, requires 12v power
2. Gpsmap 556 or 556s for fixed 5" high res ultra bright screen, requires 12v power
3. Gpsmap 620 for portable hi-res 5" touch screen with own battery and doubles as car sat nav

The 451, 551 and 556 include pre-loaded marine charts of the tidal coastal waters of entire UK and Ireland. The 620 does not. 'Best buy' is the 451, but if you want the higher res the 556 is the 'best product'.

The 's' versions of these include sonar capability, all you need to add is a garmin depth transducer (ie no black box required in between), so it's a low cost way of having depth and fishfinder in the same unit.

PS1: Agree with Niall, I do like the portability and screen on my trusty old 276C.

PS2: For folks who want a "big screen" experience and are prepared to pay the cost, the intermediate sized Gpsmap 750 is the pick of the bunch rather than going to the expense of their large format marine plotters such as the 7xxx and 6xxx series MFDs.

PS3: Nuvi's are good but can only display the charts. Nuvi's have no ability to follow a marine route or track log, so can't give directions. Good for situational awareness and visual chart viewing.

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin
12 May, 2010 11:27
There is a 276 on ebay at the moment[cgi.ebay.ie]
12 May, 2010 20:28
Thanks for the advice. I'm not looking for a 'wow' factor as I don't have a lot to spend at the moment. I currently have a Garmin 72 handheld. I was thinking of something that would show my position in relation to the recommended navigation channel. Am I right in thinging a Nuvi would do that? If so, which models will run the new charts when available?

John
Rose-e-Belle
Carrick-on-Shannon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2010 20:29 by John Geary.
Alt
13 May, 2010 12:51
The problem I find with the Nuvi is that you can't zoom in very much

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 8
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017