Quote:
Philip Conaty
Thanks for that , Noel. Looks like I'll have to raid the piggy bank
unless the christmas list hints produce a result. What would you
recommend as the best option to show track and routes, without
breaking the bank?
Regards,
Phil.

For a fixed unit the GpsMap 451 which also includes preloaded coastal charts of Ireland and UK, or slightly more expensive, but portable and has it's own battery is the GpsMap 620 which does not come with any charts. These are both proper waterproof marine units that support waypoints, routes and tracklogs unlike the Nuvi's which can only display the charts. Some Nuvi's cannot display spot depths.

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin
Re: New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2
30 July, 2010 12:25
Thanks Richard and Ralf for kind comments (embarressed)! smiling smiley

We'll stick to Garmin, cause plotters that run Navionics like Raymarine can be pricey. I also prefer the way Garmin plotters work, they are just so easy to use compared to competition and imho render marine charts better.

We may release an iPhone app next year with the charts (ie sort of Nuvi mode to display the charts but no navigation functions). Smart phones are not water nor shock proof, and eat batteries, but a nice to have in yer pocket if it's cheap enough. If we do iPhone we will probably also cover Android as those two OS's are dividing the entire smart phone market between them. RIM and Nokia are taking a severe battering as the other two conquer all before them.

OF's recommendation for shannon charts for folks who don't already have a Garmin plotter:

Gpsmap 451, 451s, 551, 551s, 556, 556s
Gpsmap 620 (portable touch screen with battery - the replacement for the excellent 276C)
Gpsmap 750, 750s (mid sized 7" screen for folks wanting a bigger display)

Charts work really well on older Garmin plotters such as:

Gpsmap 276C (portable with battery)
Gpsmap 2010, 2006, 2106, 2110 (large fixed plotters)
Gpsmap 172, 178, 182, 188, 192, 292 (small fixed plotters)

The GpsMap 276C has proven inland and if you have one of these I wouldn't change it, it's probably the best small plotter Garmin ever produced.

Gpsmap 76C and 76Cx will be supported in the future via file downloads as they do not take SD data cards

Nuvi's work with varying degrees of success (ie some won't display spot depths at any zoom level), but will display map including colour depth shades and give situational awareness.

My personal picks for most inland boaters is the 451 or 620, but if you have a 276C don't change. smiling smiley

Have fun.

Re: Re: Re: New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2
31 July, 2010 16:31
Hi Ocean Froggie, Les, and Kevin and others,

I do not own any Garmin stuff at all.I use a lappy in xp or a mac with OSX .
Will Open CPN
(www.bigdumboat.com) run these fine Shannon creations?
Presently I can run CM93 vector and French SHOM charts plus all the free American, Brazilian, Dutch etc stuff on openCPN.
Also gpsNavX is an app I use on the iTouch.I get position after a struggle!
It's necessary to create a relayed GPS signal over Wi-Fi by using an ad-hoc wireless setup with Franson GPS gate to relay.

Nice to hear you guys are getting along well?

Paul.
31 July, 2010 21:52
Hi Noel
Great work with the charts. I have my Nuvi ID ready and an SD card. How can I get them to you and how much do I send. (I can do Paypal or cheque whichever you prefer)

My boat is currently on the Barrow line but I am heading over towards the Derg next week (depending on weed I could be there next weekend or it could take a fortnight)

Cheers
John
Ashford Star
31 July, 2010 23:37
They even work on the new Nuvi specially designed for the ever so special U boat`s............sure even PJ admitted he liked them!!.

01 August, 2010 01:42
Quote:
ralf
They even work on the new Nuvi specially designed for the ever so special U boat`s............sure even PJ admitted he liked them!!.
BTW,This photo was taken on the Derg famous "les" family barge..............i dont think i met a nicer guy this week,HBA personified!!
A most wonderful bunch of peoplesmiling bouncing smiley

[attachment 846 DSCF1463.JPG]
RE: Re: New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2
01 August, 2010 19:41
Has anybody experience of the new maps on the Nuvi 1300 series (1310, 1340 1390). Are the spot depth shown these models?
Regards
Graham
01 August, 2010 19:53
no depths on new nuvi.
01 August, 2010 20:27
Quote:
Dermot { LECARROW LASS }
no depths on new nuvi.

Correction, no spot depths but there is depth information in the form of colour shaded depth areas and contours at 2m and 5m. Some newer nuvis won't display spot depths in digits.

Re: Re: New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2
01 August, 2010 22:01
On 1 August 2010 20:28, IWAI forum OceanFroggie wrote:

> Posted at: [www.iwai.ie]
> OceanFroggie wrote:
>
> no depths on new nuvi.
>
> Correction, no spot depths but there is depth information in the form of
> colour shaded depth areas and contours at 2m and 5m. Some newer nuvis won't
> display spot depths in digits.
>
03 August, 2010 09:34
Size doesn't matter on board a U-Boat, or even an M-Boat?

Les has the biggest .......... "gps" on the shannon. smiling smiley

Suppose it's important to keep the size of the chart plotter in proportion to such a large and wonderful vessel.

05 August, 2010 12:05
Folks apologies but we have had slight delay of a few days before the web site is ready.

05 August, 2010 14:44
Hi Noel, I missed the Shannon Rally this year (reality intruded! X) so I missed Dave's presentation. Is there somewhere I can go to get the excellent new charts?
05 August, 2010 16:26
Charts will be available on SD cards when the web site is up, and also old garmin cards on an SAE return basis (ie user sends us their old style blank data card and return SAE and we will copy the new charts onto it). MapSource file downloads will not be supported, only locked memory cards for the forseable future. Nearly there.

06 August, 2010 12:25
Hi Dave & Noel,

I'm sure you are aware of the great work being done with the Open Street Map project: [www.openstreetmap.org] where they are providing free mapping data, gathered via the community. They have good collaborative editing tools etc. The map data is provided via a Creative Commons Licence - [wiki.openstreetmap.org]

A more recent project based on the Open Street Map setup was started in 2009 - The Open Sea Map project: [www.openseamap.org]

Perhaps there might be room for collaboration? This might allow for a wider audience to add even more detail to your excellent existing charts?

All the best,
Mark.
06 August, 2010 13:13
Thanks Mark. Yes the future of initiatives such as open sea map and especially google could be very interesting and change the whole game. For now though the need is for charts that run on existing low cost marine plotter hardware, and in that space Garmin are the clear leaders, especially since Raymarine's recent financial difficulties and recent aquisition. Most current www mapping solutions require high speed internet access, which means hardware that is not happy in a marine environment. Laptops, moisture and salt air aren't happy bedfellows for long, and smartphones are neither waterproof, nor shock proof. smiling smiley But looking far down the road, it would be a nice idea if the next generation of plotters had free mapping, charting and satelite imagery downloaded by global high speed internet and sat network, with real time updates, binding google earth style information with iPhone useability. What business model would support same is not clear. I wouldn't like to have to read distracting adverts on a chartplotter screen, or get popups inviting us to try a local indian restaurant! The revenue to fund and support such a system has to come from somewhere, either a subscription service, or advertising revenue. There's no such thing as a free lunch! smiling smiley Will bear it in mind and watch with interests how such initiatives evolve and progress. Cheers. Noel

06 August, 2010 15:19
Hi Noel,

in case you are not aware, Open Street Map has a community driven web editor / viewer of maps. However, you can also download the maps to most devices:

Garmin: [wiki.openstreetmap.org]
Magellan: [wiki.openstreetmap.org]
TomTom: [wiki.openstreetmap.org]
Other GPS: [wiki.openstreetmap.org]

Mobiles: [wiki.openstreetmap.org]

[I'm not sure if OpenSeaMaps is quite ready yet - they have issues with depth - however it does look like they will win out in the long run!]

There were limited maps available for Haiti after the recent earthquake. This video shows the fabulous power of community built maps - the flashes are new roads being entered within 12 hours of the first reports...

[www.vimeo.com]

Regards,
Mark.
07 August, 2010 12:49
Unfortunately the shannon charts can never be an open community map, as ther contain some copyright data. Sad but true

Dave
07 August, 2010 15:11
Hi Noel,

Can't wait to get hold of the new chartssmiling bouncing smiley

I have my unit i.d. When the web site is up, is this where we can get instructions re sending SAE and SD card, and cost etc?

Regards

Peterthumbs up
17 August, 2010 02:53
Hi Folks

At last - the new charts are available for pre-ordering on this web site: [www.boating.ie]

We will ship charts out as quickly as we can, but please have patience as we are doing this in our spare time, and have a limited supply of SD cards in stock. We will do our best. We should have a more automated online payments system shortly which will speed things up. For now please use the "Pre-Order" section of the site once you have read the FAQ, and Coverage pages. There is a small charge/donation for the charts as we have incurred significant software license costs, surveying, fuel and 3rd party costs.

PLEASE READ THE INFORMATION AND FAQS ON THE WEB SITE

[www.boating.ie]

We hope you enjoy the charts and thank you for your patience, it's been a long hard slog in our spare time.

Noel & Dave

PS: Please avoid posting requests on the iwai forum as we will not have time to answer all the queries. The web site should be able to answer any questions you might have, especially the FAQ page.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/08/2010 19:17 by OceanFroggie.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 15
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017