New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2

Posted by N Griffin 
Re: New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2
17 November, 2010 19:57
Thank you Noel

John
18 November, 2010 08:29
which nuvi's might they work on,folks. allso, what exactly is mapsource?
18 November, 2010 17:14
Quote:
joeseph
which nuvi's might they work on,folks. allso, what exactly is mapsource?

See [www.boating.ie]

Most nuvi's that take an SD memory card should work to some sort of level, see above and extract below. Marine models are better than automotive models for obvious reasons (see below).

Quote:
The charts run on a varierty of Garmin's current marine GPS chart plotter range including the GpsMap 451, 551, 556, 620, 750, (and sonar variants), 6008, 3010, 3006, 3005, and on discontinued legacy models such as the GpsMap 276C, 2006, 2010, 2106, 2110, 292, 192, 182, 172. The charts should display moderately well on most Nuvi models via a plug in SD memory card. However some newer Nuvi models do not display navigation markers or spot depths, but they should display colour shaded depth information and depth contours. Nuvi models are designed for automotive use and not marine navigation, hence they can not follow routes or tracklogs, but they will display the maps and give a good situational awareness.

Personally I'd recommend a marine model rather than automotive Nuvi (see FAQs [www.boating.ie] ). Mapsource used to be PC software for managing waypoint data and viewing charts on a PC or laptop, however Mapsource is now obsolete and a discontinued product.

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/11/2010 17:17 by OceanFroggie.
18 November, 2010 18:19
Being completely new to the forum and for that matter anything other than an old style chart can someone please enlighten me on what I need to operate these charts on a Macbook pro.
18 November, 2010 19:22
Quote:
Bjlmac
Being completely new to the forum and for that matter anything other than an old style chart can someone please enlighten me on what I need to operate these charts on a Macbook pro.

Electronic shannon charts only work on Garmin gps plotters, not on computers.

PS: Welcome to the forum smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/11/2010 19:23 by OceanFroggie.
19 November, 2010 11:30
just bought nuvi maps for morocco and they came on an sd card.i wonder would the shannon charts fit on this.there doesnt seem to be any indication of capacity or space used written on the card and i cant find anything in the tools menu on the nuvi to indicate.when i put the card into a computer it just says unformatted card.do i need to source a special garmin sd card or will any one do?thanks in advance.
19 November, 2010 14:26
The Shannon charts come on an SD memory card. You just plug it into the nuvi instead of your other card.

19 November, 2010 18:17
great.how much?i thought i had to send one off to the link you posted.
19 November, 2010 18:31
Mailspeedmarine.com ( AKA Boats and Outboards) have a sale on this weekend. They already have the Garmin range discounted so by entering a voucher code MSMCAT11 you can get an extra 10% off, making the 451S about £360 in the UK. I dont know how this applies to ordering for the ROI but maybe its worth a try.
19 November, 2010 18:41
With P&P that's about the same as MPD over the counter in swords.

25 May, 2011 19:05
Hi Folks

Just an update for users of discontinued Garmin plotters that use the older generation of proprietary memory cards (ie Garmin blank data cards used by 276C, 2000 and 3000 series). See image below. As these cards are likely to be discontinued soon, I'd recommend that anybody interested in running the new Shannon Charts in the future on older marine plotters acquire one of these cards before they become extinct. The smallest capacity cards will work fine, but it seems 128, and 256mb are more commonly available. Some US sites seem to have smaller 128mb models in stock for about $69 - still pricey! The tiny 16mb card will suffice if you can get one that small.

We plan to continue to programming older Garmin data cards until July 31st this year. After that the charts will only be available on SD and MicroSD memory cards as these are compatible with Garmin's current range of marine chart plotters.

There will some more very interesting developments next month.

Re: Re: New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2
25 May, 2011 20:19
YAWN

On 25 May 2011, at 19:05, IWAI forum OceanFroggie wrote:

> Posted at: [www.iwai.ie]
> OceanFroggie wrote:
>
> Hi Folks
>
> Just an update for users of discontinued Garmin plotters that use the older generation of proprietary memory cards (ie Garmin blank data cards used by 276C, 2000 and 3000 series). See image below. As these cards are likely to be discontinued soon, I'd recommend that anybody interested in running the new Shannon Charts in the future on older marine plotters acquire one of these cards before they become extinct. The smallest capacity cards will work fine, but it seems 128, and 256mb are more commonly available. Some US sites seem to have smaller 128mb models in stock for about $69 - still pricey! The tiny 16mb card will suffice if you can get one that small.
>
>
>
> We plan to continue to programming older Garmin data cards until July 31st this year. After that the charts will only be available on SD and MicroSD memory cards as these are compatible with Garmin's current range of marine chart plotters.
>
> There will some more very interesting developments next month.
>
>
Alt
25 May, 2011 20:51
YAWN? Am I missing something here? That's bloody useful information OF has posted. These data cards are essential for some GPS Units (including my own 276c) - I'm going to have to start making them (it's possible) soon!
25 May, 2011 20:54
Can't wait....existing ones are brilliant.

Les 41M
25 May, 2011 21:11
Same here Les,great work done by the lads both on the Shannon charts and the Corrib charts,a benefit to all who use them.
25 May, 2011 21:21
Looking forward to them Noel.
Will the up dates be emailed to us.
26 May, 2011 08:50
Dermot re updates, yes, but only for SD and MicroSD card users via a download link. Instructions will be posted in due course. Alternatively we will offer to reprogram cards for users who prefer not to risk doing so themselves for a small fee and return via SAE. This will include old Garmin memory cards until July 31st.

29 May, 2011 20:34
We working away on making them, better and better, Heres a few things that are due to be added over the coming months

(a) Improved harbour detail in the North Shannon

(b) resurvey of markers north of Jamestown as many have changed,

(c) Improved town detail of Carrick

(d) resurvey of Lock Key Markers

(e) More depth details on teh smaller lakes, Boderg, Bifinn, Forbes and Drumharlow and of course Lough key

all coming in the Autumn ( ish) .

Next year we hope will be the year of teh Erne.

Dave

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 29/05/2011 20:35 by Dave McCabe.
30 May, 2011 20:25
Garmin HomePort

Some screen shots below of HomePort, Garmin's superb route planning and chart display tool for use on PCs and Laptops. It can also be used to transfer routes and waypoints between your marine chart plotter and PC via SD cards. No cables needed.

Hopefully by about September this year Garmin version of the Shannon Charts will be available on BlueChart G2 SD cards and are expected to work with HomePort.

Beta version of charts under test displayed on HomePort which IMHO is a far superior product to MapSource. HomePort supports full route planning including fuel consumption and layover times for locks and bridges when calculating ETAs.

Lough Derg

Killaloe: Garmin will include street and road details. Note fuel planner panel also.

Lough Ree. Depth profile of intended route.

For the many of you who have purchased Garmin 400 and 500 series marine chart plotters these come preloaded with embedded Coastal charts which can be copied onto a spare SD card for use with HomePort.

30 May, 2011 21:47
Spotted this from Garmin earlier today Noel:

See high-definition shorelines, underwater depth contours, marinas and more on your compatible device. This mapping product provides comprehensive coverage of the Shannon Navigation in the Republic of Ireland.

[buy.garmin.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/05/2011 21:47 by David O'Sullivan.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 6
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017