Inland Waterways Association of Ireland

The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

Allianz Boat Insurance

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2

Posted by N Griffin 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2
30 May, 2011 22:05
Quote:
David O'Sullivan
Spotted this from Garmin earlier today Noel:
See high-definition shorelines, underwater depth contours, marinas and more on your compatible device. This mapping product provides comprehensive coverage of the Shannon Navigation in the Republic of Ireland.

[buy.garmin.com]

Hi David. Yes that's our baby, smiling smiley

Garmin's 1st product using our data. They have just released the initial "Inland Lakes" style product which lacks colour shaded depth contours but has fantastic on land data including detailed roads/streets, POIs etc.

They are planning to release a proper marine style product as per BlueChart G2 specs later this year which will include colour shaded depth contours and other marine features similar to our release of last year. The latter product will be more suitable for marine use on their current range of marine chart plotters such as the 400, 500, 700 series. We've been testing both here for the past few weeks and they are looking good. It's the latter marine product that will work with HomePort.

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin
Alt
30 May, 2011 22:24
Ye sellouts!!

(joke, joke!)
30 May, 2011 22:34
Quote:
Niall OFlaherty
Ye sellouts!!
(joke, joke!)

By teaming up with Garmin the product gets better combining our water and harbour data with their land data. Wait till we jointly launch the G2 Vision product late this year with 3D views and aerial photography.
hot smiley

Dave and I are very pleased with the beta tests so far and we have more in the pipeline. Canals, the Barrow, the Erne, where will it all end Ted? winking smiley

30 May, 2011 23:23
I've been toying with homeport for some time now - havent really got the user base on the Corrib, but its a nice tool when you get the clunks out of it.DEM version works too - but of little use to the average flyfisherman. I know where the hills are, and so do they.
I seem to remember a little post of yours a while back saying that all the bells and whistles were only ways of repackaging old data so that those more gullible can buy it all over again....or was that me and you just agreed ?

CC

30 May, 2011 23:40
Yes I still agree with you Trevor. 2D map presentation is more than enough to find your way around and the 3D and bizarr underwater stuff is IMHO just added marketing fluff to generate demand for "new" gadgets - which many of us fall for! smiling smiley

BTW, Corrib Charts looking superb guys. thumbs up

30 May, 2011 23:45
I was just bursting into print there to say well done and congrats....but actually forgot to put in before hitting the send button !

We'll just carry on at the cartographic frontier and let the more commercially minded dig in behind....!!!

all the best

CC
RE: Re: New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2
31 May, 2011 00:04
Congrats on the commercial success (hopefully).

The Garmin download is about twice the price of your deal. What's the extra value? Roads?

How much will the Garmin G2 edition retail for?

Will you continue your offerings?

>
> Hi David. Yes that's our baby, smiling smiley
>
> Garmin's 1st product using our data. They have just released the initial
> "Inland Lakes" style product which lacks colour shaded depth contours but
> has fantastic on land data including detailed roads/streets, POIs etc.
>
> They are planning to release a proper marine style product as per BlueChart
> G2 specs later this year which will include colour shaded depth contours and
> other marine features similar to our release of last year. The latter product
> will be more suitable for marine use on their current range of marine chart
> plotters such as the 400, 500, 700 series. We've been testing both here for
> the past few weeks and they are looking good. It's the latter marine product
> that will work with HomePort.
>
31 May, 2011 00:25
Homeport can be a great planning tool, and you can see from the screenshot - all sorts of really useful "stuff" can be seen properly. It displays custom objects such as non standard buoy shapes (cairns etc) if programmed into the chart, although when viewed on your G2 GPS unit it will default to the standard buoy or marker shape.
It knocks spots off Mapsource. Its good to see that it will now be possible to use the Shannon Charts in the program and Im sure that most will get benefit when they start using it. It can't however be used as a chartplotter - a real shame, but if you owned a company who made charts and chartplotters you'd be cutting off your nose if you could run the chart on any old laptop with a gps link. Garmin have a plan for world domination.

CC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/05/2011 00:32 by Capt Cautious.
31 May, 2011 07:27
Hi Conor, thanks, it just may over time help recover our costs, but I doubt it will ever cover the massive amount of man hours we've both put in. We'll have to charge that up to "passion" and team effort.

Cost difference is down to a number of things such as a professionally packaged Garmin product, making the charts available on Garmin's diverse range of new and future hardware, and the technical extensibility to improve the charts with new features in future versions such as G2 Vision, aerial photos, info boxes, etc. Time will tell. We don't yet know what the price of the standalone marine BlueChart G2 version will be, but we expect that the charts will be included as part of their "UK and Ireland" coastal product coverage late this year. We plan to make our current interim solution available until Garmin have released the marine BlueChart versions later this year.

Garmin were key to making the charts widely available and giving them a future beyond current technology.

Ps. We are already working on future versions extending coverage to include the Erne, SEW, Barrow and the Canals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/05/2011 07:31 by OceanFroggie.
RE: Re: New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2
31 May, 2011 11:38
Thanks for that. Certainly not begrudging anyone the opportunity to reap some reward from their time and effort. Also a Garmin branded product will have a much wider audience and life beyond one person's enthusiasm.
31 May, 2011 11:57
Hi Noel,

looks like Garmin have world domination in sight then ? I personally don't think so. The future of charts lies in the maintenance and updating of the raw data, and the ability to use that raw data in whatever format best suits at the time. For a particular instrument, at a particular time in a particular location, Garmin have a good solution. In 5 years time we'll have moved on (look at PDAs) and your chartplotter unit will be a tiny PC with twice the power of todays top end laptop, and have a good size high res screen. I already have one onboard here that updates ENC charts live as required, and uses live tidal / depth data to modify soundings so that I can see channels opening and closing in front of me (At the moment I have 10.5m draft and 0.3m under keel clearance). This level of functionality will be the norm. As long as the raw data stays out of the unique control of the individual corporations who seriously dont have the best interests of the users at the top of their list of priorities we are assured of good hydrography, and the ability to produce a product on demand. It would be good to think you are still allowed to use all your original data for other uses - even if it wouldnt neccessarily be in the interest of Garmin ? Lets hope so ?

all the best

CC
31 May, 2011 14:25
Hi Trevor. I agree with you and yes we retain the rights to the data so we are 'free' to flow with the tide of change. winking smiley Imho, Cloud based navigation technology with complete data caches for offline use and dynamic real time updates will become the norm. This could include actual dynamic and forecast weather, real time and forecast sea state, tidal streams, dynamic chart updates, real time navigation advice and warnings, as well as AIS type receive only data all via sat www link, not to mention high quality aerial photography overlays and consumer supplied data. However many small leisure vessels will need marinised hardware to run same be it a PC in a cube, rugged laptop or dedicated cloud plotter. It's all ahead of us. smiling smiley

31 May, 2011 14:42
Marinised hardware - don't believe all you read. I've opened up many peices of marinised hardware to find the extra $1000 has bought us a bit of rubber wedged under the hard drive. The vast majority of equipment suitable for installation in a laptop is also up to marinised spec re vibration and humidy tolerance. It wont withstand total submersion - but then neither would your average Sealine or Broom, so its a moot point. A small netbook with touchscreen facility does the job 10 times better than any chartplotter I know thats in use on leisure craft. The only problems at the moment are how to mount the damn things.

CC
31 May, 2011 15:27
I was very impressed with the seriously ruggedised tablet laptop a well known RYA examiner carries around. He got me to put it in the sink, then he let it fall onto the cockpit floor, finally got me to stand on the LCD screen. Display wreaked - opps methinks he's overdone the showing off bit, but he said "just wait a bit", and surely within a few minutes the display stabilised and was perfect again. Impressive bit of military spec kit. I don't yet rate consumer tablets though as primary aids despite all the iPad and Android hype. Too slippery and delicate by far.

03 June, 2011 20:31
Hi Noel

Interesting development with the charts and testament to the quality of your (and Dave's ) work.

I wonder will updates for your original charts (including the update which was expected anytime|) now be available? Do you know if the Garmin (professional product) version will show any more detail such as markers which do not show on my Nuvi 1490T? I would have thought Garmin could arrange a download of the relevant missing icons etc. Street names etc would be great but water related info is so much more important.

John
ROSE - E- BELLE
04 June, 2011 11:11
Hi OF,

will Garmin be producing a version of the "G2 vision" or G2 chart which is Nuvi compatible ? It doesn't really seem to fit in with their business plan. Will it be "locked" onto a microSD card, or on an standard SD card ?

CC
04 June, 2011 11:43
Doh.... (there should be a "slap-head" smiley please ?)

just read the compatability data from Garmin.......[buy.garmin.com]
if at first you dont succeed - RTFM. It seems that this edition isn't G2 vision after all - so it's going to run on most things - can you confirm Noel ? I did notice that the mention of "bathymetric data" is omitted, but contours are included - is this just an omission or are they leaving out all your great sounding data ?
CC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2011 12:28 by Capt Cautious.
04 June, 2011 13:39
Quote:
John Geary
Hi Noel
Interesting development with the charts and testament to the quality of your (and Dave's ) work.

I wonder will updates for your original charts (including the update which was expected anytime|) now be available? Do you know if the Garmin (professional product) version will show any more detail such as markers which do not show on my Nuvi 1490T? I would have thought Garmin could arrange a download of the relevant missing icons etc. Street names etc would be great but water related info is so much more important.

John
ROSE - E- BELLE

On Derg in sun so forgive short reply smiling smiley Garmin will have two versions. The first, the one they released last week 'inland waterways ireland' which is Nuvi compatible but does not have colour shaded depth contours, only spot depths and contour lines. The second version is BlueChart for marine plotters only and has colour shaded depth info. It will be released as 'G2' and 'G2 Vision'.

We will release an update to registered users later this months as already posted above. But this has nothing to do with Garmin's two offerings.

04 June, 2011 14:05
Quote:
Capt Cautious
. It seems that this edition isn't G2 vision after all - so it's going to run on most things - can you confirm Noel ? I did notice that the mention of "bathymetric data" is omitted, but contours are included - is this just an omission or are they leaving out all your great sounding data ?
CC

Hi Trevor. Yes the version released last week is not a G2 marine BlueChart, it is part of their inland lakes series, it will run on just about anything. It just lacks colour shaded depth contours, but it has spot depths and contour lines. The G2 version to be released in the autumn will be a full marine chart, have colour shaded depth contours and run only on marine chart plotters (eg. Gpsmap 451, 551, 620, 750, etc), but not on Nuvi models.

01 July, 2011 11:12
Hi!
I have the Shannon Charts G2 and they are great, but I dont have any of the Shannon/Erne on it. Are they available?

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 9
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017