Locations of visitors to this page

New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2

Posted by N Griffin 
Re: New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2
13 May, 2010 13:09
Quote:
Niall OFlaherty
The problem I find with the Nuvi is that you can't zoom in very much

Yes they are a pain in the neck to zoom. They are really designed to work at one zoom level and give turn by turn instructions. But sitting at the wheel house helm in a barge or trawler yacht they do offer good situational awareness inland if not the ability to follow a route.

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin
14 May, 2010 18:56
Noel/Dave

Just wanting to check the the Garmin Nuvi 205w and 1490 works. My local shop has a 5" screen 1490 at a good price. Both have micro SD slots. Will the charts work with that?

John
14 May, 2010 20:16
Quote:
John Geary
Noel/Dave
Just wanting to check the the Garmin Nuvi 205w and 1490 works. My local shop has a 5" screen 1490 at a good price. Both have micro SD slots. Will the charts work with that?

John
Hi John

It should BUT don't buy just yet. We have not yet decided "if" and "how" to support Nuvi models. The charts run OK, but the method of uploading the charts to Nuvi presents a technical deployment problem.

14 May, 2010 22:31
Noel

Thanks for your prompt reply. I guess everyone is itching to find out when the charts will be available and how - but I guess we gotta wait! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

John
Alt
15 May, 2010 12:45
Quote:
OceanFroggie
Quote:
John Geary
Noel/Dave

John
Hi John

It should BUT don't buy just yet. We have not yet decided "if" and "how" to support Nuvi models. The charts run OK, but the method of uploading the charts to Nuvi presents a technical deployment problem.

Not really. The Nuvi's appear as an external drive when connected to a PC. Simply upload gmapsupp.img to the Garmin folder and voila! (Well, thats how it works on CorribCharts anyhow)
19 May, 2010 10:59
Hi Noel,

Thanks for superb presentation in Poolbeg Yacht Club last night.

Looking forward to obtaining set of new charts when available for the Nuvi.

All the best,

Joe Fortune
'Do Little'
24 May, 2010 10:52
For interested eye only! smiling smiley smiling smiley

Was out on Derg this weekend testing the new charts using a Garmin GpsMap 451s (ie sonar model).

Screen image of GpsMap 451s connected to low cost depth transducer

Was quite impressed with the 451s. The display can be switched between chart, sonar or split screen showing both. The bottom profile is a useful tool as is the fish finder mode. MPD in swords seem to have keenest prices in domestic market (ie 451 cost me €399), compedative with UK internet discount sites. I suspect that the 451 or 's' variant will become the stock GPS plotter for inland use, or the more expensive gpsmap 620 with it's built in battery and quick release mount. The 451 though includes preloaded detailed marine charts of entire tidal/coastal waters of UK and Ireland.

[www.marineparts.ie] (451)
[www.marineparts.ie] (451s includes sonar port)

Photo of OF's trusty GpsMap 2106

OF's recommendations for inland Garmin GpsMap series:
451 or 451s - 4" best buy fixed plotter
556 or 556s - 5" hi-res ultra bright
620 - 5" touch screen portable with li-ion batt (but excludes preloaded coastal charts)

Obviously Garmin's range go through mid range models like 750 right through to mega buck 10,12 and 15 inch plotter screens, but these are unlikely to find their way onto even the shinniest white cruisers! smiling smiley

Suggest folks browse garmins web site for details.

24 May, 2010 12:23
Thanks Noel, Having read your recent post from last week, I've already researched and ordered a 451s, including transducer. Looking forward to getting the charts smileys with beer I already have the existing Shannon Charts on a Nuvi. They helped me through the fog last September !
Dermot
Cheetah
27 May, 2010 01:18
6.16.1.pdf

Hi All,
Sorry for Jumping in !!!
Was trying to Upload - tonight, Daves old Charts to my New Nuvi 215..(having a Problem)..I have them on my Garmin eTrex LEGEND..but the screen is very small.!!
A Couple of Things - I notice MapSource have solved the Problem with the Str e t c h e d Display in MapSource - i think anyway-- with there new version 6.16.1. - See attached file.
May i take this opportunity to thank Dave Mc.Cabe, for the Shannon Charts that he very kindly sent ( E-mailed) to me a few Years back - they have been a Life Saver and I am most grateful...I would have no problem in paying for such Useful and beneficial Information.
I've tried unsuccessfully to load the Charts to my Garmin Nuvi 215 - but will give it another go at the weekend !!!
If the New Charts would work I would have no problem in contributing a few bob to Dave and Ocean-Froggie for there Tremendous Work in the new Charts which appear to be Superb.
I Fish Lough Ree at this time of year (May Fly) and often come of the Lake late at night sometimes after 12.00 am !! in a 19'-00" Burke ( Not too Dark tonight - Full Moon) .... .. ... - - - ... !!!!!
Hope to Chat at the Week End ..Have to ge a Couple of Hours sleep off to Work at 6.00am........
All The Best...
Peter...
15 June, 2010 18:12
Noel

Reading with interest about the new charts in IWN mag. They look good. Just wondering when the new charts will be available and whether they will run on the Garmin 1490. If so ready to purchase.

John
17 June, 2010 14:10
Quote:
John Geary
Noel
Reading with interest about the new charts in IWN mag. They look good. Just wondering when the new charts will be available and whether they will run on the Garmin 1490. If so ready to purchase.

John

Can't say for sure as we have not tested that unit. They should, but can't guarantee it. Nuvi's are not really suitable for marine navigation, but excellent value for situational awareness (ie display of charts, but no ability to display or follow routes or tracklogs). As to "when" we have had a one month delay, but expect an announcement soon.

17 June, 2010 15:58
Noel

Thanks for the reply. I am looking for something which will show where I am in relation to the recommended navigation route particularly on the bigger lakes etc. I am fairly new to boating on the Shannon and it is easy to get disorientated and misjudge position with only the paper charts to rely on.

John
17 June, 2010 17:08
Quote:
John Geary
Noel
Thanks for the reply. I am looking for something which will show where I am in relation to the recommended navigation route particularly on the bigger lakes etc. I am fairly new to boating on the Shannon and it is easy to get disorientated and misjudge position with only the paper charts to rely on.

John

Nuvi's are excellent value for that purpose.

18 June, 2010 19:15
Noel

Thanks. I have ordered the nuvi 1490T from Amazon - It has a 5" screen. Now fingers crossed until I see if the new charts work. Is it worth trying the current version of the charts in the meantime or just in case the G2 doesn't play?

John
18 June, 2010 19:27
No Harm trying

Sent by iThingey

19 June, 2010 13:43
Noel.

Thanks

I guess I I need is to source a copy of the current charts. Can you (or anyone else who has a copy) assist? My email addy is jgbelfast@aol.com

John
Rose -E - Belle
20 June, 2010 19:14
Hi John,

I found a copy here [ftp.mee.tcd.ie] but not sure if this is the latest version or not.

Thanks to a previous post by cnolan1
20 June, 2010 21:37
Dominic

Thanks. Will give me something to play with whilst the new ones are issued.

John
27 July, 2010 19:01
Hi Folks

Just an update. The Shannon Charts G2 web site is about to go live within the next week. The charts will be made available through the IWAI online shop in due course, but for a short interim period they will be made available via the shannon charts web site, which will hopefully be up this weekend. Details will be posted here. Initially we will be asking folks to send us a blank SD or blank Garmin memory card with their return address on an SAE (stamped addressed envelope), we will burn the charts onto your memory card and return it. Payment will be via paypal or cheque for the first month or so until we get the iwai shop stocked with charts on SD cards. Legacy garmin gear will have to be handled by us as it is not possible to automate the locking procedure for the iwai shop.

Charts for new and old garmin plotters will be locked to the UNIT ID of your GPS plotter. This is not the same as the serial number on the label on the back of the gps. The UNIT ID can only be accessed from your GPS Plotters system configuration menu. It is a 10 digit number.

The "Ireland Shannon G2" charts cover the following areas: Lough Allen, North Shannon, Upper Shannon, Lough Ree, Mid Shannon, Lough Derg, and the Limerick Navigation from Killaloe Bridge to Limerick Docks. Detailed marine information is available on the Derg and Ree charts (ie colour shaded depths, contours, spot depths, hazards, detailed harbour layouts, public and private marinas, etc). The river channels and small lakes do not contain depth information.

The SEW and Erne navigation are NOT included in the initial release, but will be available within the next few weeks as a FREE download (ie: "Erne Lite"). These charts are basically a subset of the old shannon charts in the old style, but will run on the new garmin gear such as 451, 551, 556, 750, etc. Hopefully over the winter we will be able to bring the Erne charts upto the same redeveloped marine standard as Loughs Derg and Ree.

For those who may be interested, please write down the UNIT ID of your device when you are next down at your boat as it will not be possible to get the new charts without this. Instructions on how to do this will be available on the web site shortly.

Thanks for your patience, it's been a long hard slog getting these charts finished and ready for distribution. Thanks also to the band of beta testers who have provided us with feed back and QA data over the past number of months. Dave and myself have put a lot of hours into this. Hopefully it will have been worth waiting for.

27 July, 2010 20:33
Hi Noel, that's great.
Will sad bar stewards like me that still use a GPSMAP 76C
be able to purchase, download and install the new Shannon charts?
Hope so!

All the best
John SV Breakaway
Quote:
OceanFroggie
Hi Folks
Just an update. The Shannon Charts G2 web site is about to go live within the next week. The charts will be made available through the IWAI online shop in due course, but for a short interim period they will be made available via the shannon charts web site, which will hopefully be up this weekend. Details will be posted here. Initially we will be asking folks to send us a blank SD or blank Garmin memory card with their return address on an SAE (stamped addressed envelope), we will burn the charts onto your memory card and return it. Payment will be via paypal or cheque for the first month or so until we get the iwai shop stocked with charts on SD cards. Legacy garmin gear will have to be handled by us as it is not possible to automate the locking procedure for the iwai shop.

Charts for new and old garmin plotters will be locked to the UNIT ID of your GPS plotter. This is not the same as the serial number on the label on the back of the gps. The UNIT ID can only be accessed from your GPS Plotters system configuration menu. It is a 10 digit number.

The "Ireland Shannon G2" charts cover the following areas: Lough Allen, North Shannon, Upper Shannon, Lough Ree, Mid Shannon, Lough Derg, and the Limerick Navigation from Killaloe Bridge to Limerick Docks. Detailed marine information is available on the Derg and Ree charts (ie colour shaded depths, contours, spot depths, hazards, detailed harbour layouts, public and private marinas, etc). The river channels and small lakes do not contain depth information.

The SEW and Erne navigation are NOT included in the initial release, but will be available within the next few weeks as a FREE download (ie: "Erne Lite"). These charts are basically a subset of the old shannon charts in the old style, but will run on the new garmin gear such as 451, 551, 556, 750, etc. Hopefully over the winter we will be able to bring the Erne charts upto the same redeveloped marine standard as Loughs Derg and Ree.

For those who may be interested, please write down the UNIT ID of your device when you are next down at your boat as it will not be possible to get the new charts without this. Instructions on how to do this will be available on the web site shortly.

Thanks for your patience, it's been a long hard slog getting these charts finished and ready for distribution. Thanks also to the band of beta testers who have provided us with feed back and QA data over the past number of months. Dave and myself have put a lot of hours into this. Hopefully it will have been worth waiting for.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 13
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017