Inland Waterways Association of Ireland

The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

Allianz Boat Insurance

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2

Posted by N Griffin 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2
17 August, 2010 09:52
Hi Noel

See you been burning the midnight oil again. Great news on the charts. Just to confirm my new Nuvi 1490T takes a micro SD card. I can't see any reference to this. Can you supply the charts on this? Ready to order.

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/08/2010 09:52 by John Geary.
RE: Re: New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2
17 August, 2010 13:42
Noel, Dave

Great work

Do you have any plans for a launch / Q&A session at any stage? I, for
one, would gladly pay for a group (or individual) tutorial on the new
charts. They look great on the website anyway.

Well done again

Terry
17 August, 2010 14:20
Noel, Dave,

Quick question on the depth soundings / contours if I may (apologies if this has been asked or answered previously)...

What is the reference datum for the displayed depths ? Is it the Chart Datum (CD) of the old Admiralty charts for the two large lakes, or is it based on Ordnance Survey datum (OD) ? Is there an official datum for the depths of each lake / channel ? Or are the spot depths displayed taken by sonar from a boat with GPS fix ?

Just wondering, as with marine charts the soundings based on Chart datum are almost never encountered in reality, the water is almost always deeper depending on the state of the tide and atmosphere...so you can rest peacefully (if you have no depth sounder aboard) that the indicated soundings are the least possible depths of water column at any time.

How does this translate to the Shannon Charts ? Obviously in winter or in times of heavy rainfall / unusual Ardnacrusha etc settings the water column depth will possibly be greater than the indicated depths, but is it likely that the actual water depth will ever be less than indicated ?

Charts look great BTW - congrats on a really professional looking piece of work !
Re: RE: Re: New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2
17 August, 2010 14:21
Quote:
Terry Quigley
Noel, Dave
Great work

Do you have any plans for a launch / Q&A session at any stage? I, for
one, would gladly pay for a group (or individual) tutorial on the new
charts. They look great on the website anyway.

Well done again

Terry

Interesting idea Terry. I am tempted to hold a "get your chart" clinic early this Thursday evening for an hour or so in somewhere like Poolbeg YC if it's free so folk could come along with their on memory cards and get the charts loaded onto them rather than wait for postage (2 ways for old garmin data card users). Food for thought, it might get charts to some folk in time for this weekend.

PS: Don't know about Micro SD cards because we haven't tried them yet and so few garmin models use them (eg 76Cx, 60Cx which we don't currently support). See full list of FAQ for current position.

PS2: Folks we need the UNIT ID of your gps, not the serial number. The UNIT ID is only available in the setup menus, usually under system information.

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin
Re: RE: Re: New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2
17 August, 2010 15:38
Hi Noel

I have an adapter which turns the micro sd into a standard sd card. I guess if I sent this you would just load the charts as usual. I have already put in my pre-order. Hope to hear from you soon.

John
ROSE - E - BELLE
17 August, 2010 15:40
Hi Noel,

I would be very interested in meeting up with an sd card and Nuvi if it is a runner.

Let me again add my congratulations to yourself and Dave for a superb piece of work.

All the best,

Joe Fortune
Do Little
17 August, 2010 21:01
Quote:
Quote:
westskipper

What is the reference datum for the displayed depths ? Is it the Chart Datum (CD) of the old Admiralty charts for the two large lakes, or is it based on Ordnance Survey datum (OD) ? Is there an official datum for the depths of each lake / channel ? Or are the spot depths displayed taken by sonar from a boat with GPS fix ?

the soundings are mainly GPS located fixes, taken from from a powerful single point sonar. these are then reduced to an appoximate mean summer level. hence there are unlike coastal chart datums per say,

This means that for teh majority of the yesr the depths will read "safely" ie theres more water then suggested. But conditions can exist in drought or high water draw off conditions where levels can drop below the stated depths. the advantage of these spot soundings, is that you can use your own sounder to help in this. if the chart say 10 and your reading 9 then prudence suggests that you knock 1 foot off the other charted depths.

dave
17 August, 2010 21:41
SHANNON CHART CLINIC

OK folks - for anybody in the greater Dublin area or east coast who would like to get a copy of the charts in time for this weekend, I will be in Poolbeg YC this thursday for 2hrs and can burn charts onto your own memory cards (SD or Garmin). Bring either a Garmin blank datacard, or an SD memory card (not SDHC or MicroSD) depending on which your unit uses. Suggest you also bring your gps if it is portable so you can test it on site and ask questions. In the mean time have a read of the web site especially the FAQs. Chart cost €35 if you bring your own memory card, otherwise €50 for charts+SD card.

Please register your pre-order on the web site: [www.boating.ie] before thursday. Folks who have registered will receive instructional emails tomorrow in case they cannot attend Poolbeg YC this thurs.

SHANNON CHART CLINIC

POOLBEG YC (beside east link toll bridge)

THIS THURSDAY 19th AUG

18:00hr to 20:00hr

I will bring a limited supply of SD memory cards for folks who can't get their hands on one before then, but try to if you can. Note SDHC cards will NOT work. This is not a talk nor a presentation, I'll just be there with my laptop to copy charts onto to memory cards.

Hope this help clear the Dublin backlog! smiling smiley

Noel

18 August, 2010 19:15
REMINDER

I will be in Poolbeg YC tomorrow evening Thurs 19th Aug from 18:00hr to 20:00hr to copy charts for folks who have pre-ordered on our web site. [www.boating.ie]

To pre-register use [www.boating.ie]

Cheers

Noel

Re: Re: New Maps - Ireland Shannon G2
18 August, 2010 23:23
Hi Noel,
Could you or Dave contact me on 087/2558017 re charts with soundings for
Drumharlow etc. Maybe meet up tomorrow to give them to you in Dublin
southside.
Kieran Walsh
20 August, 2010 13:13
Hi Noel,

I just want to record a note of thanks for your and Dave's efforts in producing the charts and for your assistance at the Chart Clinic last night.

Live long and prosper (to quote Spock).

All the best,

Joe Fortune
(Still looking out the window of)
Do little
21 August, 2010 16:48
Noel, congrats to you and Dave on what I am sure are a fabulous set of charts. I purchased a second Garmin Data Card approx a year ago and have been using one for ShannonCharts and one for Blue Atlantic. Just need to backup data from ShannonChart card to PC and it will then be ready for downloading the new ShannonCharts.

Out of curiosity, if I was to acquire a third Garmin Data Card would it be possible to use it to store the old ShannonCharts and then interchange the cards (old and new charts respectively) on my Garmin 276c?

BTW, is there a possibility of a 'clinic' somewhere on the WestCoast or indeed on The Shannon at some time in the near future? Or is the postal service the best option for now?

Regards,

Paul,
"Arthur"
22 August, 2010 10:46
Hi Paul.

Thanks. Is your BlueChart Atlantic the CD version or a pre-programmed data card?

On most Garmin's including 276C, waypoint, route and tracklog data is stored in the units system memory, not on the black data cards. Data cards are only used to store maps. You backup internal waypoint data using USB and MapSource or HomePort. Newer garmin range don't have USB, instead waypoint data can be moved between PC and GPS via SD cards (eg Information->User Data->Card Menu)

Quote:
Paul
Out of curiosity, if I was to acquire a third Garmin Data Card would it be possible to use it to store the old ShannonCharts and then interchange the cards (old and new charts respectively) on my Garmin 276c?

If your BlueCharts are the CD version there is no problem having the old shannon charts and BlueChart maps on the same data card. You can use the MAP INFO menu on the 276C to toggle between the two chart sets. Alternatively you can leave both sets turned on if you excluded GB100014 from the transfer set as it slightly overlaps the western side of Derg. Likewise with GB100013 and GB2725 if you want to avoid overlapping the Erne. So you should not need a 3rd card.

Noel

26 August, 2010 09:21
Just received the shannon G2 charts. My Garmin 1490T has 3 modes. Automotive, bicycle, and pedestrian. I seem to remember someone saying the old charts worked best in pedestrian mode.

Any advise on which mode on Nuvi suits the new charts?

John
ROSE - E- BELLE
26 August, 2010 09:33
Hi John

Not sure that will make much difference as these three options are usually used to calculate routes for road trips and calulate ETA based on speed of car, bicycle or walker. As Nuvi's can't be used to follow marine routes, I'd suggest it's academic.

The key to "displaying" the charts on Nuvi is to set the chart display mode to "most" detail or whatever you want, and to use the appropriate zoom level. As Nuvi not a marine navigator, it cannot follow routes or tracks, but it will display the charts including colour depth shading, contours, recommended safe tracks, and therefore will give good situational awareness. There may be a menu option to change the shape of the vehicle to something smaller on the screen. Also can use MAP INFO option to toggle between road maps and shannon maps. See the FAQs at:

[www.boating.ie]

and sample screens at:

[www.boating.ie]

Noel

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/08/2010 09:34 by OceanFroggie.
26 August, 2010 10:51
Hi Noel

Thanks for the quick response. On the old charts the mode changed the colours used on the map making it sometimes easier to view. Be using the charts on Lough Ree in the next week so will get a proper chance to try it then. Could you just remind me again of the depths for depth contours i.e dark blue, light blue, and white area. Thanks

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/08/2010 10:57 by John Geary.
27 August, 2010 09:24
white is generally safe, is in excess of 5 metres

light blue is between 2 metres and 5 metres, ie Ok but watch it

Dark Blue is 2metres or under.

Dave
27 August, 2010 09:42
Dave

Thanks for your clarification on the depth contours. I will be on Lough Ree on Sunday so will get a chance to appreciate the results of all your efforts.

John
17 November, 2010 18:28
I will be going Christmas shopping next week and was wondering what model of Garmin to buy
.About how much should I spend and where can I buy one. Also what comes in the box and what else do
I need.

John
17 November, 2010 18:49
Quote:
j doyle
I will be going Christmas shopping next week and was wondering what model of Garmin to buy
.About how much should I spend and where can I buy one. Also what comes in the box and what else do
I need.

John

Hi John
Have a look here [www.boating.ie] at a list of Garmin marine plotters and also the Garmin web site. As to where to buy, well there are a number of Garmin dealers in Ireland (see Garmin web site). Feedback suggests best retail prices in Ireland are from marine parts direct in swords (ie. MPD). Otherwise Internet.

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 9
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017