craftinsure.ie

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Royal Canal Lock Key/Windlass

Posted by T 15 
Royal Canal Lock Key/Windlass
12 April, 2011 11:29
Thinking of taking a short trip down the Royal from Richmond Harbour, just for a day or two ( early June ), I have a pair of "English Canal Windlass's" which have a 29mm square hole, 330mm crank & 200mm handle,
will these fit/work on the pinion square that lifts the rack ? ( pic attached )

I do know that 1 1/4" or 32mm is stated for the Royal but I was thinking that if the pinion square is a taper, my windlass may fit......confused smiley

my cruiser is 3.53m ( 11' 7" ) beam, so without fenders it will be a wee bit tight in the locks............sad smiley
may have to just use the "rubber duck" for a short day trip, the cruiser draft is 0.77m ( 2' 6" ) so that should be ok........

any other tips would be great......thumbs up

Re: Royal Canal Lock Key/Windlass
12 April, 2011 11:42
Pas Vite / T 15 wrote:

> I do know that 1 1/4" or 32mm is stated for the Royal but I was thinking
> that if the pinion square is a taper, my windlass may fit......confused smiley

Nope. You need the 1&1/4" square. And from memory you need the extended
sleeve not just the simple square because some of the locks have the
shrouded spindles, though maybe thats only at the eastern end.

Colin
12 April, 2011 21:48
It might work provided that anti-tamper sleeves are'nt fitted over the spindle. It would be a much better plan to buy a proper key from WI. I think they cost about 20 or 25 Euro. Give the keeper in Richmond Hbr a call....he may have some in stock or can probably
arrange to have one there for you
As regards your beam, some of the later M boats are 13'2" or 3" so you'll have bags of room. It will look very tight to you the first few times though.

Some of the boats currently heading for the Dublin Rally would be best placed to offer more advice as they've been along here in the last few weeks.

M(W&W)F
12 April, 2011 23:24
Hi
I don't think your key will work on all spindles, though it may work on some, because they are tapered. Not sure I'd like to be the one wielding it, though, as it won't be fully engaged. Why not just spend the E15 for the peace of mind?
As for your beam, you'll fit comfortably with fenders down. These are proper locks, with 13' beam and gates that open fully, so unless you use RIBs as fenders there should be no problem!
Go for it and enjoy yourself

Duncan
RE: Royal Canal Lock Key/Windlass
12 April, 2011 23:58
English lock keys are only good - 'cos they're small - for lowering racks. Don't attempt to raise a rack with one though. It'll slip - you'll be sore.
13 April, 2011 08:42
Thanks for ur replies, you all confirm what I was thinking..............smileys with beer

I did speak with a very helpful lady in WI in Tullamore office yesterday morning & yes the keys are 25euro, so I plan that when I an down at Dromod during Easter week if we have a very wet day I will take a run ( by car ) to the WI office to buy the key, permit & new guide, ( I do have the two old guides, the blue one & pinky one) and if I dont get to Tullamore she very kindly said we could arrange to buy & collect the key & permit from the guy at Richmond.

We are looking forward to it, as many years ago ( 1994/95) we enjoyed a few small boat rallies & our own trip in a 14' Orkney based from Thomastown, staying in a local B&B farm house. The time of the cancalled "Opening" of the canal in April 1994, yes we were the two down from Bangor cool smiley, remember a bus load of UK IW ones over & a talk in the hotel in Mullingar.....a long time ago.

Must look out the pics, scan them & post them up here..........thumbs up

Re: Re: Royal Canal Lock Key/Windlass
13 April, 2011 20:59
Hi

I'm in Clondra most weekends and pass through Dromod several times a week.
If you like I could get a key for you and give it to you when you're in the area.

Duncan
14 April, 2011 00:32
im tullamore based and can drop it over to you most days as friends go through roskey, dromod, etc daily pm me if you want it delivered alan
15 April, 2011 11:51
THANKS for all the offers, I got a copy of the new guide in WI Enniskillen yesterday while I was down working for the day and a mate who lives close to Tullamore is going to collect a Lock Key for me & give it to me at Dromod as he will be attending the w/e event too.......smileys with beer

and I have arranged to get permit at Richmond via the lock-keeper, was given his tel No etc........

but again, THANKS for the offers, really looking forward to the trip.

19 April, 2011 16:45
now the owner of a lock key..........well on Friday when I pay me mate at Dromod.......smileys with beer

thanks.........winking smiley

19 April, 2011 17:21
Great stuff....now that you have a lock key....why not bring your other boat up the Liffey to Islandbridge...??

M(W&W)F

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 16:45:28 +0100
IWAI forum Pas Vite / T 15 wrote:

> Posted at: [www.iwai.ie]
> Pas Vite / T 15 wrote:
>
> now the owner of a lock key..........well on Friday when I pay me mate at Dromod.......smileys with beer
>
> thanks.........winking smiley
>
19 April, 2011 18:25
[quote Mick Farrell]Great stuff....now that you have a lock key....why not bring your other boat up the Liffey to Islandbridge..quote]

anything is possible now, sure I could go in from Shannon Harbour........thumbs up next years plan......spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Re: Re: Re: Royal Canal Lock Key/Windlass
20 April, 2011 02:46
A-haaaa.....Tall Ships a beckoning..??

M(W&W)F

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 18:25:06 +0100
IWAI forum Pas Vite / T 15 wrote:

> Posted at: [www.iwai.ie]
> Pas Vite / T 15 wrote:
>
> Great stuff....now that you have a lock key....why not bring your other boat up the Liffey to Islandbridge..quote]
>
> anything is possible now, sure I could go in from Shannon Harbour........thumbs up next years plan......spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
>
05 May, 2011 16:12
well, collected my lock key from my mate at the Dromod PB meet & on Thur last took a wee drive along the towpath to see the locks & lifting bridges.........very useful trip,

meet the WI guy, so got some very good info & also meet 2 boats returning to the Shannon, was able to measure the "air draft" at the bridge & the air draft of the boats to double check/compare with Pas Vite

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2011 16:23 by Pas Vite / T 15.
05 May, 2011 16:17
a few more pics

05 May, 2011 16:22
and a few more.......

Mrs T15/Pas Vite taking note of the lock workings & she also had a go at opening the gates etc

05 May, 2011 19:13
Great photos. Wonder what the device on the pole in the water is?

Is it where one has ones passport stamped?

PJsmiling smiley
05 May, 2011 19:41
Quote:
pj norris
Great photos. Wonder what the device on the pole in the water is?
Is it where one has ones passport stamped?

PJsmiling smiley

a spy camera for the 5 day rule........ smiling smiley

its one of the auto sensor units to activate the road bridge but it is too sensitive as a bird will set it off & has never worked correctly.......so WI operate the bridge........... money well spent !! thumbs down

30 June, 2011 09:58
Quote:
Mick Farrell
It might work provided that anti-tamper sleeves are'nt fitted over the spindle. It would be a much better plan to buy a proper key from WI. I think they cost about 20 or 25 Euro. Give the keeper in Richmond Hbr a call....he may have some in stock or can probably
arrange to have one there for you
As regards your beam, some of the later M boats are 13'2" or 3" so you'll have bags of room. It will look very tight to you the first few times though.

Some of the boats currently heading for the Dublin Rally would be best placed to offer more advice as they've been along here in the last few weeks.

M(W&W)F

Just realised that we might need a lock key for the Royal (planning visit over the next two weeks or so). Will the one we have for the Grand do? It's capable of opening locks with the anti-tamper sleeves. Otherwise where can we buy one for the Royal?

Thanks

Joe
30 June, 2011 12:15
The lock keys are one and the same.
Joe, are you going to go for the Green & Silver? there's a july bridge lift tentatively planned for July 16th - see website [dublin.iwai.ie]
We've nice new burgees available for those intending to do it!

/M
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 12
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017