Inland Waterways Association of Ireland

The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

craftinsure.ie

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

maximum draught for royal canal

Posted by ALAN DOWNES 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
maximum draught for royal canal
19 April, 2011 23:54
We always struggle on the Grand canal with our 3foot 6" draught.
We hope to do some cruising on the Royal canal shortly and wonder if the
depth is any better, particularly at lock cills. Any personal experience would be
helpful. Our boat is a 35foot steel cruiser.

spinning wheel
Re: maximum draught for royal canal
20 April, 2011 03:18
Alan,

I can only suggest you try it and see for yourself. Mines a 60' riveted steel canalboat drawing 3'4". I dont usually have problems with cills (Bagenalstown excepted) and would describe my passage across the Grand as a dribble rather than a struggle. I'm heading out the Royal after the Dublin Rally and I expect it will be pretty much the same as the Grand. Let you know later in the year.

M(W&W)F

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 23:54:53 +0100
IWAI forum ALAN DOWNES wrote:

> Posted at: [www.iwai.ie]
> ALAN DOWNES wrote:
>
> We always struggle on the Grand canal with our 3foot 6" draught.
> We hope to do some cruising on the Royal canal shortly and wonder if the
> depth is any better, particularly at lock cills. Any personal experience would be
> helpful. Our boat is a 35foot steel cruiser.
>
20 April, 2011 21:54
I draw 3ft and have just reached Castlenknock. Levels were an issue at a
number of locations. Rubbish between the 13 lock and 12 lock was a
nightmare. We had to dive three times to remove clothes and carpet underlay.
We did meet the Waterways cleaning the locks taking a truck load from each.
The sill at Kilcock caught me.

Pat Connor
Dasher

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 11:54 PM, IWAI forum ALAN DOWNES wrote:

> ALAN DOWNES wrote:
>
> We always struggle on the Grand canal with our 3foot 6" draught.
> We hope to do some cruising on the Royal canal shortly and wonder if the
> depth is any better, particularly at lock cills. Any personal experience
> would be
> helpful. Our boat is a 35foot steel cruiser.
>
21 April, 2011 00:53
Interesting!
I'm quite sure a loaded Float, or M boat would draw more than that and yet would have passed through easily.
Sounds as though the levels on the canal today are not being maintained at the same depth as the designers intended...
Or had the chamber started emptying when you caught the cill?
Unfortunately, the rubbush problem is likely to remain with us, as city folk have an aversion to paying twice for things.
It's bad enough to have to pay for the plastic bag in the first place, but then having to pay again to get rid of it! No no no no! Abandon it somewhere where it's unlikely to be found in a condition that might help identify the owner, such as a river or canal. Much cheaper! Oh, and while you're at it, might as well dump that old carpet too!
Don't know how that can be solved, though an increase in boat traffic would help in a number of ways, both by increasing the likelihood of the perpetrators being caught and by dividing the consequenses between a greater number of victims.
In any case, I'd like to thank all you pioneers who are blazing the trail now, because I have every intention of following you, sooner, or later and will doubtless reap the benefit of your efforts!

Duncan
21 April, 2011 07:30
Quote:
the rubbush problem is likely to remain with us, as city folk have an aversion to paying twice for things.

Mmmm!! City folk, in my case i had to dive twice, bailing twine and silage wrap angry smiley
Re: Re: maximum draught for royal canal
21 April, 2011 09:50
In general, at 3 ft, you should'nt have problems with lock cill's. Beware of the middle cill in a double lock though as it is possible to vary the depth over it. Usually if you touch a cill its because the level is down a bit.
Rubbish in the canal is unfortunatly an ever present problem.

M(W&W)F

On Thu, 21 Apr 2011 07:30:26 +0100
IWAI forum Billy Bunter wrote:

> Billy Bunter wrote:
>
> the rubbush problem is likely to remain with us, as city folk have an aversion to paying twice for things.
>
> Mmmm!! City folk, in my case i had to dive twice, bailing twine and silage wrap angry smiley
>
Re: Re: maximum draught for royal canal
21 April, 2011 21:55
Hmmm indeed!
Makes one wonder what possible use such things could be in the area you mentioned.

Duncan

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 16
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017