Inland Waterways Association of Ireland

The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

Allianz Boat Insurance

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Is feidir linn! (Bridge lifts! The Rambler heads west on the Royal Canal)

Posted by joe treacy 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: Is feidir linn! (Bridge lifts! The Rambler heads west on the Royal Canal)
16 June, 2011 20:21
I suppose there will be a big dinner in Longwood this evening Joseph. Hope they stopped to see the Boyne viaduct. Its impressive. Great shots.
PJ
16 June, 2011 20:34
G

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/06/2011 20:34 by pj norris.
16 June, 2011 22:46
Spoken by a proud Meathman !! of course that aqueduct got the attention it deserves -stunning countryside for boating through. A couple of pics from earlier in the voyage giving a taste of the 'team sport' this is ( and a growing spectator sport ) . BTW the craft being used as camera boat from the RCAG comes with the delightful title of ' SCUDGE' ! Dinner was in Fureys and not to be missed.

Joe.

16 June, 2011 23:14
Joe thanks for thes pics,
have to say im following this post with keen interest.Its great to see "Rambler" and the Connon family heading back down on this iconic trip and look forward in anticipation to see the final film.
16 June, 2011 23:19
Joe, More great shots. Love the last one.
BTW I'm a Galwegian , with Tipperary parents,living in Meath for last 30 years, a mongrel fox, to misquote a certain politician.
See you in SH.

PJ
17 June, 2011 11:06
I would have to have sympathies for a Tipp / Galway / Meath man ( such a genetic mish mash !)
so PJ just for ,you some shots at the Boyne Aquaduct taken yesterday by A J Vosse (Vossie) who is not a Meath man but tells me there are no canals from his homeland and is very interested in this event. His shots are fab and also hint a little of 'take 2, take 3....' , tough stuff when Rambler has to be brought back.

See you in S. Hbr.
Joe.

17 June, 2011 11:48
Thanks Joe for the photo blog and the continuing story. Well done to all on what looks like a phenomenal effort. thumbs up

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin
17 June, 2011 11:57
Well done Joe. I'm delighted to see the blue flag flying over The Royal [ county and canal]. Any trouble with levels or lock widths? Shortly ,I think you will be passing through the narrowest lock on the Royal. If you or Ben could have a good look at it ,for future reference of course. I'm not planning a bargy voyage or anything like that..
I love that whole area around the aquaduct. I often stop there, when passing by car, and take a walk to clear the head.
Cheers.

PJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/06/2011 12:01 by pj norris.
17 June, 2011 16:45
PJ
The locks have all been proofed to M-Boat+ standard by ASB Ebenhaezer and her very wide hips....(the boats, not Rachel's...LOL)

M(W&W)F
17 June, 2011 17:03
Sorry Mick, Ebbies hips move up and down, not like -Rs--. Now good enough proof. One of the locks around Killucan is 13ft 2 ins at the bottom ,it's wider at the top. Have to see if an M fits. Now it's purely ,at the moment ,an academic exercise but ???

By the way,anyone passing through Longwood ,there's a great bit of an antique,repro, junk shop there. You'd never know what you'd find. Ask for Donnacadh Mac an Rí .

PJ. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/06/2011 17:07 by pj norris.
18 June, 2011 10:35
Couple from yesterday PJ, and got to Thomastown for the evening.

Joe.

18 June, 2011 12:39
Joe

what's the weed like, we're planning a visit to the Royal in July.

Joe
18 June, 2011 13:57
Weed has not been a serious problem Joe. It is June however but there is evidence WI are cutting away as well as attending to other items. A really memorable trip so far and as usual people along the route showing great interest. Heavy , long days by both film crew and boat crew but through delightful countryside and the days are all magic.

Joe.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/06/2011 14:02 by joe treacy.
20 June, 2011 10:30
Morning all,

a link from the very pleasant 'Vossie' who I mention above which shows the 'nuts and bolts' of the whole operation, enjoy!

Joe.

[ouchmybackhurts.wordpress.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 21/06/2011 08:41 by Michael Slevin.
20 June, 2011 20:26
Hi Joe, Great stuff from Friday. Looking forward to this week ,if you're going to take more shots.
Thanks to Vossie for his shots too, they compliment your own.
Some of that canal looks like hard work. We'll watch for MF's posts.
Cheers,PJ.
20 June, 2011 21:13
Quote:
joe treacy
Morning all,
a link from the very pleasant 'Vossie' who I mention above which which shows the 'nuts and bolts' of the whole operation, enjoy!

Joe.

That is a fantastic blog account, hats off to "Vossie" and indeed to the Connon family and the incredible Joe T.
As a Louth man i took great risk in entering Meathland yesterday (the week thats in it) evening to visit some mates on this escapade, "Rambler" is handling all in its stride winking smiley and i believe is close to mullingar this evening.
well done all involved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/06/2011 02:06 by Michael Slevin.
20 June, 2011 22:36
Rambler admirer and our new friend Vossie has asked me to convey his appreciation of the attention his great blog is getting and hopefully I will meet him 'on site' during the week. Thanks Ralf for the compliment , but all in all ,a great example of people pulling together. Shot below of the 'Tile crew' in action.

Joe.

21 June, 2011 22:17
Hi all,
just in case people think the venture has stopped, Rambler in Mullingar tonight, so will be soon dropping towards the Shannon. All reports are good, even from production side who are following this thread, so keep it clean - no movie jokes! No fresh pics at the moment but these from last week taken by junior son [ as Vossie would say ]. Hopefully his big sister is happy with shot of 'Shanice'

Joe.

FW: Re: Is feidir linn! (Bridge lifts! The Rambler heads west on the Royal Canal)
22 June, 2011 15:53
Hi,

Re: Post on Measuring Thomastown Lock

For Ebenhaëzer as I recall, it wasn't so much the lock itself that was the problem, but the bridge over the downstream gates (heading east) of the lock. There is a large protruding stone which juts out (port side). This is worth noting if measuring, as it was a bigger problem than the lock itself for me, so lock dimensions alone could be misleading.

Ebenhaëzer got quite badly stuck and only got through by flushing through all racks simultaneously to surf out of the lock, which raised the water level and lifted the barge over the protrusion a bit. I can’t be sure, but I think it was just a couple of feet above water level. It was still very tight though and I had to drive her hard, doing some damage.

It's the tightest lock I've been through on both canals, however, Ebenhaëzer was too wide to get up the Naas line some years back, so maybe that'd be some use as a gauge? I'd only do the Royal west-east if you've concerns about beam. I reckon there's no way I'd have made it into the lock upstream, so east-west would not be feasible for Ebenhaëzer.

These were my perceptions, though I can’t guarantee I haven’t missed something, given that I was entirely focused on escaping the lock at the time!

Rachel Leech
A.S.B. Ebenhaëzer
Re: FW: Re: Is feidir linn! (Bridge lifts! The Rambler heads west on the Royal Canal)
25 June, 2011 12:30
Rachel, that does not sound like a very nice experience. At least if it's not in the lock it might be possible to chip it away.
I wonder where JT got to this week? Come in Joe. We miss the photographs.

PJ

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 9
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017