Inland Waterways Association of Ireland

The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

craftinsure.ie

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Is feidir linn! (Bridge lifts! The Rambler heads west on the Royal Canal)

Posted by joe treacy 
Re: Is feidir linn! (Bridge lifts! The Rambler heads west on the Royal Canal)
02 July, 2011 19:54
Thanks Noel and 'watchers'.

So finally the journey ends, the route is complete and filming done. It began with a difficult and frustrating move from Grand Canal Basin, and some tough canal days filled with dread about shallow sections, low bridges, deep sinkings etc. etc. which were all taken in their stride. The boat was on the limit of fitting the system, having 10ft. air draft, 3ft. 8ins. water draft, the big bonuses were its beam of 11ft. and an air- cooled engine. The horrors of the first week soon disappeared as the voyage entered some beautiful countryside and fabulous communities. The filming added an extra strain on the whole thing and a wet Friday in Abbeyshrule had to be the most difficult on everyone.
Rambler sails proudly on the Shannon with another chapter in her career to look back on. The crew should be proud of a job well done and mission accomplished. The skipper can be proud of making those decisions that ultimately got Rambler through. All those people along the line who assisted, advised, and were interested in the venture, helped to make it all easier. This has been a good news story for Rambler, the Royal Canal, boating people and locals along the route.
Canals are not everyone's cup of tea, but for scenery, people and a newly available waterway, its hard to beat the Royal. We will all be back, and sooner rather than later.
When the 'its a wrap' shout went up yesterday afternoon, the only answer was 'WELL DONE'.

Joe, ['is feidir libh, go leir!']

Rambler entering Ballyleague.

The crew.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2011 23:21 by joe treacy.
03 July, 2011 00:11
Well done Joe and congrats to the Rambler team.
What a few weeks of photographs and blogs we've had.
Joe Treacy's , Mick Farrell's, Vossie's, Michael Slevin's , Ciaran Clinton's.

Congratulations to all and a heartfelt thank you from me for all the hard work and entertainment.

PJN

Hope I haven't left anyone out ,if I have ,it's in error.
Re: Re: Is feidir linn! (Bridge lifts! The Rambler heads west on the Royal Canal)
03 July, 2011 00:00
Hi Joe

I got my first glimpse of Rambler as she came out of Rooskey Lock this afternoon.
She was travelling in excellent company and warranted a special wave (special because I had to drop my tools and scramble out of an engine room to give it!), that sadly wasn't returned as both skippers and crews were busy at the time.
You're very welcome to the North Shannon. Hope to catch up with Rambler for a proper look before she leaves... First impressions were very favourable!
Well done, indeed.

Duncan
03 July, 2011 19:18
Hi Duncan,

Sorry I missed you but am now 'Rambler free! Spent the weekend getting 4E downriver as far as Portumna. What you witnessed was two very tired skippers [John Connon snr. and jnr.] bringing their vessels upstream. A lot of catching up to do by those involved but I am sure there will be a welcome on the mat when you cross paths again.

Many thanks,
Joe.

Rambler's welcome parade below Lanesboro.

Re: Re: Is feidir linn! (Bridge lifts! The Rambler heads west on the Royal Canal)
03 July, 2011 22:20
Not to worry, Joe.
It was great to see Bona Spes and Rambler under way.
One of the more "special" days in my working life.
In my line of work I get to see the whole spectrum of boats, but almost always static and deserted.
So far, this year is turning out very well for me, as I recently saw another celebrity "The Iron Lung" arriving at her berth in Athlone!
It's always a thrill for me to see these boats doing what they're supposed to do, travelling on the water and I especially love to see them manoevring in tight spaces. Some of the feats I've witnessed these leviathans accomplish in the hands of their caring and experienced skippers had to be seen to be believed!
Anybody else planning a visit up here in something special?
I'd love to take a rope, or indeed help out in any way I can!

Duncan
04 July, 2011 00:38
Spotted passing the Landmark Hotel, Carrick-on-Shannon, circa 15.40 on this Sunday afternoon....

Duncan, "Arthur" will be heading down from Lough Key as of Tuesday. Not sure that we classify as 'something special' but would love to meet up with you en-route to Athlone if it suited you?

Regards,

Paul,
"Arthur"
04 July, 2011 08:21
Paul,
of course 'Arthur' is something special and good to see Rambler a star in her own right! Your last pic with Evan Connon 'on duty' reminded me of more stressing times at that job in the last three weeks, like this one !
Joe.

05 July, 2011 17:02
Just got these from Stephen Rooke of shots from chopper of Friday's grand finale. Didn't manage to hitch a ride myself.

Joe

05 July, 2011 17:18
Wow. That's fantastic. Thanks for posting those Joe

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin
05 July, 2011 18:34
Couple more from the same source:

Chang Sha welcomes the Rambler

45M joins up

05 July, 2011 19:00
Great pics Joe.....had one of 'yis painted a big H on the roof you might have been able to "hitch that lift"....LOL

M(W&W)F
05 July, 2011 19:56
A good quiz question, Name these barges.

Of course those who were there would have to be excluded.

PJsmiling smiley
05 July, 2011 20:19
I think anyone who owns a barge would have to be excluded PJ. They really are quite distinctive. No cheating now people.....put the copies of Cool Metal away...!!

M(W&W)F
05 July, 2011 21:35
Mick, I'd only be sure of 7 of the nine barges. yawning smiley

PJ
05 July, 2011 21:37
> pj norris wrote:
>
> A good quiz question, Name these barges.
>
> Of course those who were there would have to be excluded.
>
> PJsmiling smiley

I won't get them all but here's my guess in no particular order

71M
76M
45M
Chang Sha
Bona Spes
41M
4E
Ebenhaezer
Paradijs Vogel
Rambler

If that's right so far I'm missing the name of the barge between Bona Spes
and 76M

All the best...Mark
05 July, 2011 21:47
Mark wrote...

> 71M
> 76M
> 45M
> Chang Sha
> Bona Spes
> 41M
> 4E
> Ebenhaezer
> Paradijs Vogel
> Rambler

Close.....

But no cigar !

Colin
05 July, 2011 21:49
-> 71M
> 76M
> 45M
> Chang Sha
> Bona Spes
> 41M
> 4E
> Ebenhaezer

> Rambler

>>>>>>>>>>> Paradijs Vogel (Not present)
......Should have gone (back) to specsavers !!

All the best....Mark
05 July, 2011 22:06
Of course,they're not all barges. Isn't that right Colin???smiling smileywinking smiley

PJ
05 July, 2011 22:07
Still only 90% correct.

I'd forgive you for the one you're missing........

You may not have seen it in its present guise !

Colin
05 July, 2011 22:14
You are still missing one Mark

Les 41M
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 18
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017