Allianz Boat Insurance

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

4E 'Going back to her roots'.

Posted by joe treacy 
Re: 4E 'Going back to her roots'.
31 October, 2011 16:56
So out along the road to Maynooth and back to my own pics [ thanks Vossie for the collection ]
At this point you have river, road ,canal and railway travelling together, [Ryewater River]

At Lock 15 a re-union with the late great Mick Clinton's "Blackthorn".

31 October, 2011 18:01
So on to lock 14 and the four arch bridge and a confident drop into the chamber and disaster ! Gate won't go into recess. Assistance gathered and brave attempts made but ultimately have to over-night where we were - hey it's a canal !

Early on Monday morning a little stone / wood work , a pull and a flush and out she came.

31 October, 2011 18:23
Into the lovely Maynooth Harbour and out under the pair of Mullin Bridges at the far end.

Next up was Lock 13, a mini-milestone as 4E was converted at Lock 13 on the Grand Canal.

300 metres below Lock 13 and progress comes to a halt for today [ it's a canal after all ]

Many thanks for all the company and help over the weekend , back to Dublin for the party,

Joe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/10/2011 18:41 by joe treacy.
4E 'going back to her roots'
31 October, 2011 18:01
Great stuff Joe, and well done. I got a bit worried when I saw the
Boyne Aqueduct picture. It looks as though you're traveling east to
west. I thought you might have turned round and given up! Dick.
01 November, 2011 15:40
Joe thanks again for Saturday loved the traveling in the dark was harder to see in the towns but a talking point how Breaker Tracy landed the barge on the bank !!!!!!!
Evan
01 November, 2011 16:22
Has 4E acquired a new blue window at the front?

Connons on Telly, Connons at Enfield, Connons at Naas and Corbally - they're everywhere!

Beth
Aqualegia
01 November, 2011 17:01
Well Joe, I've just re-read your last three pages. Your voyage is epic and you make the rest of us mere mortals pale in comparison. Your pics and text cover a truly historic occasion. I think the movie makers missed an opportunity to retell a great story but you have done yourself and the boat proud.
Sorry about your loss in the floods.
Look forward to seeing you in Tullamore.

PJ, jealous M boat caretaker.
01 November, 2011 18:49
Thanks all for the comments . Dick the trip has been a waterway's re-run especially with camera boat person along . The extra info about your voyage has all come out on the return - thinking of doing "Royal tours" at this point !
Evan, always good to have the Connons around and young Christopher looks like a future canal- man in the making.
Beth, The "blue frames" are cargo 4E picked up on the other side of Mullingar which is this winter's "project ! It is in fact a wheelhouse being re-cycled. Yes the Connons got around and good for them. Madame Rambler will take up some time soon.
PJ, thanks for your comments, we have had a great, long and very satisfying season and trip and will remember 2011 for a long time.

Another few pics of the weekend, this first of the bridge below Fern's lock with 4E not causing quite the scene Rambler did.

This "mean machine" featured in Waterways this week.

This pair in the " Indian", were stocked up for the long haul, and wanted to know how far it was to Furey's.

Ciaran and Fran Clinton [ Blackthorn ], giving a hand at lock 15 with Ben who is fast becoming a " Royal Doubler"

01 November, 2011 22:05
So to put this to bed for the Winter, the tree in the canal issue ! Phoned Des of WI this morning who had already checked out 4E and through a number of phone calls a team with a chain-saw arrived on site to cut enough of it to hopefully allow us through. The following pics are of 4E running through the obstruction and making it out the other side.

And onwards under "Matt Goff Bridge"

01 November, 2011 22:17
Louisa Bridge which was the subject of recent voluntary attention and now getting the attention of WI , to leave it easy to navigate through.

Cope Bridge and this looks to be a pair just out of the traps !

Home for the Winter [ Dublin / Kildare border ] , not many wounds to lick, a trip never to be repeated and a final thanks to all we encountered along the way. Till Spring 2012, safe boating and regards to the supporters,

Joe.
01 November, 2011 22:47
Fantastic Joe. Well done. Loved following your epic trip. smiling smiley Fab pics, but the last one is a total classic. thumbs up

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin
01 November, 2011 23:37
Left the final result out Noel, Winter 2011 / 2012. The " star " takes a break.

01 November, 2011 23:48
Very well done Joe...especially liked that last pic....all that was missing was your mate from Abbeyshrule Int. flying low over the bridge...!!
Delighted that WI are dredging Louisa...wonder will they have a barbie too...?
It really has been a wonderful summer...!!

M(W&W)F

Ooops.....2nd last pic now...!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2011 23:49 by Mick Farrell.
01 November, 2011 23:52
Thanks Mick, it's hard to "bate an aul canal"

Joe.
02 November, 2011 00:18
Tis hard indeed, Joe. There are a few issues with the Royal, but now that we know where they are and that they can be "worked around", there's no reason for me not to give it another go next summer. It would seem that WI are "stepping up to the mark" too, so I'm expecting next time to be a lot easier. A few more workpartys to give them a dig out would'nt go astray though...Any takers?? I do think that The Royal will prove in time to be the "better" of the 2 canals...!!

M(W&W)F

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2011 00:19 by Mick Farrell.
02 November, 2011 00:36
So,that's where you were going!! Well ,I hear some wheelhouse work is planned. You better watch out. Surely that wh. has a preservation order on it. Of course the chance it might be haunted is also high. Then of course there was a certain romance???
"With just one kiss,she entranced our Chris"

Definitly for preservation!!moody smiley

PJ
02 November, 2011 17:38
Quote:
joe treacy
So out along the road to Maynooth and back to my own pics [ thanks Vossie for the collection ]
At this point you have river, road ,canal and railway travelling together, [Ryewater River]

Good to see you finally made it Joe, You should have given us a shout while stuck at the 14th we could have been some extra assistance.

Also, just to throw a little bit of local knowledge into your statement above, the section of canal east of Kilcock there is a actually a river, road, canal, railway, river and a road all parallel.
03 November, 2011 07:17
Ciaran , rest assured you were on the verge of being contacted on the day but having failed with our efforts and with the promise of heavier stuff the following morning we simply "tuned" the water-flow at the breast gate and settled down to watch Dick and Rambler. It was great to spend the few minutes with you and your Mother, this trip would never have happened without all the work and commitment of others.
On the subject of the trip, I would like to thank the WI staff from Paddy Dixon in Richmond to Des Phillips at the Dublin end and their compatriots in between. To a man they were very helpful and always accomodating and interested in this trip succeeding.

The little hicup at Lock 14 was the result of one of the deep gates not fitting into it's recess. The usual problem in these cases is material jammed behind the gate, but in this case it was a case of "gate wont fit"! The pics below show hinge and mitre sides of the gate.

Joe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2011 07:19 by joe treacy.
03 November, 2011 16:26
Sorry to have missed that one Joe, was away over the weekend. A few of the wider boats heading into Dublin in April got stuck above the 14th, though I suspect it was debris in that case. They got through the following weekend. Was it a timber or stone solution in the end...???

M(W&W)F
03 November, 2011 17:49
Hi Joe,

My thanks to you and 4E... great to be part of something special! As you've been chatting about Blackthorn and 4E having a bump in the afternoon... ;-) ...

And... one for artistic effect... the skipper doing a bit of land work...

Twas a Royal time! Sure... twas! grinning smiley

Cheers,
Vossie aka AJ winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 9
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017