Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Limerick to Killaloe

Posted by Michael Miller 
Limerick to Killaloe
01 October, 2011 22:37
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum.

I would like some advice on moving from Limerick to Killaloe. Considering doing this in next week or two - Macwester 22 (air draft 2 m, draft 1 m, max speed 4.8 kn but 4 is more comfortable for engine). Is it possible?

Was in Limerick on Monday watching the tide rise. Seemed that when tide was about 4.8 metres the river at the bridges in Limerick slowed considerably - well within the capability of my wee boat. Does anyone have any idea of how far up the river this effect extends? I don't know how many turbines were running but river was way too fast for me before tide rose.

I read the recent thread on Limerick marina dredging. I was in Limerick around the marina for several hours - no sign of any activity. there were no swipe card points (seemed key operated). How much water is there at the pontoons? Is it even open? Has it been dredged?

Any advice would help. Would dearly love to extend sailing season by going up river for a month or two.

Thanks in advance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2011 22:39 by Michael Miller.
Re: Limerick to Killaloe
01 October, 2011 23:03
Hello Michael,
if you wait till morning, a poster here (OceanFroggie) has just brought his motor cruiser back up the Shannon Estuary to (I think) Limerick and will, I expect, bring it back to Killaloe tomorrow Sunday.

He will be in a very good position to answer your questions.

In the meantime; the number of turbines running in Ardnacrusha is crucial, if you check the tables carefully the tides will not be a problem.

The weir at Sarsefield sea lock has the effect of delaying the (incoming) flood tide which obviously counteracts the river flow.

So again the number of turbines running is the key.

If OceanFroggie doesn't post here on Sunday I'll give you more details...

John
01 October, 2011 23:13
Thank you John.
02 October, 2011 07:16
Hi Michael. Welcome. Will come back to you later today. Just about to head up Abbey river to Ardnacrusha. Noel

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin
Re: Re: Limerick to Killaloe
02 October, 2011 08:12
Safe passage Noel.....M
02 October, 2011 10:43
Thanks Noel - Have a good trip.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
02 October, 2011 11:02
Hi Michael,

Welcome to the IWAI Discussion Forum.

Re Limerick to Killaloe, I am including a link to a video clip (7 and 1/2 mins) that covers the passage from the Railway Bridge just outside Limerick, along the Abbey River, under the five bridges and right up to Sarsfield Lock! You might find it of interest.

[www.paulscannell.net]

Note that the link takes you to a page, on my SmugMug Account, that features two version of the video...an MPEG2 version and a smaller MPEG1 version.

Enjoy!

Paul J Scannell,
"Arthur"
02 October, 2011 12:06
Great video Paul. And helpful.

thanks

btw - You mention Pat Lysaght at the end of the video as the one to approach for first timers. I've seen his name crop up several times and on several videos helping people out. Does he tire of the attention?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2011 12:16 by Michael Miller.
02 October, 2011 12:23
Paul, excellent, very professional video, how come that never crossed my radar before? You must hide under the proverbial bushel, Al
02 October, 2011 12:56
Quote:
Alun Goodall
Paul, excellent, very professional video, how come that never crossed my radar before? You must hide under the proverbial bushel, Al

Hi Alun...the video first featured in the following thread approx. two years ago... smiling smiley

[www.iwai.ie]

Some of the other cruising videos that I have uploaded can be viewed here:

[www.paulscannell.net]

Regards,

Paul.
02 October, 2011 13:03
Enjoyed that very much paul
02 October, 2011 15:50
Quote:
Michael Miller
Great video Paul. And helpful.
thanks

btw - You mention Pat Lysaght at the end of the video as the one to approach for first timers. I've seen his name crop up several times and on several videos helping people out. Does he tire of the attention?

Pat seems to have an "official" status - not sure whether it is with ESB (Ardnacrusha) or Waterways Ireland.

I imagine he gets some reward for his efforts - he certainly deserves to!

I had the pleasure of meeting him on the way back through the sea lock to Ardnacrusha. A very nice guy.

John
04 October, 2011 09:58
Hi Michael. Apologies for delay getting back to you.

During typical summers the flow on the Abbey river tends to be gentle as ESB rarely run more than one turbine upstream at Ardnacrusha hydro dam. Often during dry spells there are zero turbines running, especially early in the mornings (ie before 0700am). However the summers of 08, 09 and 10 had unusually high rain fall resulting in Ardnacrusha running at max load for weeks making navigation impossible or severly time limited. But during such periods they often shutdown the turbines each night until around 0700am the next morning leaving a safe window "if" the times of Limerick tides facilitate bridge aircraft clearance. In such conditions the abbey river and tail race canal can be like a stagnant mill pond. On the other hand with four turbines running, some flood water due recent prolonged heavy rain fall and an ebb tide going out, the current can well exceed the speed of a single engine displacement vessel.

The "general" rule has been that displacement craft should not use the navigation if more than "one turbine" is running. However the tide can have quite an effect on the velocity of the flow depending if it is on the flood in (ie upstream) or the ebb (ie downstream). Above Sarsfield sea lock there is a weir which means the marina and abbey river only experience a "half" tide. This means there is a HW time, but LW above the lock remains the same height for approx 6 hours, and this also means the depth in the Abbey river can never fall below navigable levels.

The lowest velocity will occur for approx 3 hr BEFORE High Water Limerick as the incoming tide will have risen above the weir and will push against the flow coming down the abbey river. This can have a significant impact slowing or even stopping the current. The highest velocity will occur after HW Limerick as the flow and ebbing tide run together.

Ideal conditions and suggestions
1. ZERO or only ONE turbine running
2. Before HW but only after the weir has been covered by incoming tide
3. When sufficient airdraft allows, usually plenty 03:00 to 02:30h before HW for large craft
4. Keep power on to maintain steerage especially coming downstream.
5. Coming upstream against stronger flow can be easier to maintain steerage under bridges
4. Contact Pat Lysaght for assistance your first time. His help and advice on the day is invaluable.
5. Prebook Ardnacrusha lock day in advance, also phone ahead to Sarsfield lock keeper

By way of example when I arrived in Limerick last sat evening there were 3 turbines running resulting in a very strong flow. By 22:30 when the turbines had been shutdown for a few hours and the tide was over the wier on the way back in the water was stationary with no flow at all. About 02:30am when I got up to use "facilities" I noticed a gentle flow as the tide was ebbing out but with zero turbines. Easily manageable in a slow displacement craft. By 07:45 Sunday mooring I went up the Abbey river about HW-3 hr and there was actually a very gentle reverse flow upstream as zero turbines were running and the near spring flood tide was on it's way in.

State of Ardnacrusha can be ascertained form it's lock keeper, or Pat Lysaght, or by phoning ESB hydro control room at Turlock Hill which remotely control all ESB hydro plants.

In summary, in the right conditions, which are usually generous during "normal" summers, the Limerick navigation is easy and a pleasure to do, often with little current. Just check with ESB before entering the Abbey.

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2011 22:26 by OceanFroggie.
04 October, 2011 12:44
Thanks, ocean froggie, for the considerate reply and really useful advice.
04 October, 2011 20:18
Very very informative......thanks OF
08 November, 2011 15:59
Michael ring Pat Lysaght . mob.086 8487042 he will put you right and most likely come and guide you down the Mall ,but talk to him first, also the advice you got above is top class..
Arthur

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2011 16:05 by Arthur O Sullivan.
09 December, 2011 06:55
Hi all,
The question is asked " Does Mr.Pat Lysaght recieve any payments from anybody for the wonderful work he
does on the Mall and other parts of the river to bring people to Limerick City all in one piece...
NO.
Everything he needs for the job is paid for by himself,and he asks for nothing and wont take anything.
I feel his mob.no. should be added to all the other numbers published by WWI. That's if were really interested
in water-safety.
Regards.
Arthur O S.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 14
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017