craftinsure.ie

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Well done RNLI

Posted by N Griffin 
Re: Well done RNLI
24 February, 2012 09:18
Peter there is already an RNLI presence on the Erne as stated in the article.

Alan I re read the article and found no mention of lives saved. Could you tell us where you saw such.

AJ
24 February, 2012 09:29
I haven't seen it in relation to this most recent press release. I haven't been looking. But it seems that the two expressions are interchangeable in the eyes of the media.
24 February, 2012 09:38
However, to quote from an RNLI man

Commenting on the 2011 statistics RNLI Deputy Divisional Inspector Gareth Morrison said: ‘Our lifeboat volunteers continue to show selfless dedication and commitement to saving lives. Some stations are extremely busy while others have less callouts but spend long hours at sea in awful conditions. The work of the volunteer lifeboat crews could not be made possible without the generosity of the public who in difficult times continue to support Irish lifeboat crews.

My italics/bold' which would indicate a willingness to interchange even in the eyes of the RNLI.
24 February, 2012 09:40
And from RNLI website

Key facts about the RNLI: The RNLI is the charity that saves lives at sea. Its volunteers provide a 24-hour search and rescue service around the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland coasts. The RNLI operates over 230 lifeboat stations in the UK and Ireland and has more than 150 lifeguard units on beaches around the UK. The RNLI is independent of Coastguard and government and depends on voluntary donations and legacies to maintain its rescue service. Since the RNLI was founded in 1824 its lifeboat crews and lifeguards have saved over 139,000 lives.
24 February, 2012 12:38
I have to agree with the sentiment as expressed by Alun, regarding the "spin" that has certainly been applied in the past to press releases issued by the RNLI. The expression of having saved "X" number of lives during a particular season. It is my understanding that if the RNLI went to the assistance of say a craft with 6 persons aboard which had ran out of fuel, this was subsequently reported in the media as "saving 6 lives". This is "SPIN" in its most cynical form in my opinion, and there is no doubt in my mind that these media reports did and continue to do serious damage to the hard earned good reputation of the Irish inland waterways as an international tourism destination. It is also my opinion that this type of sensationalised reporting has done untold damage to the reputation of the RNLI generally, particularly in the eyes of commercial marine interests on the inland waterways. Efforts were undertaken to encourage the RNLI to understand the damage their sensationalised reports were causing, and I believe they are more aware currently than was the case in the past. I understand the term used now is "X" number of persons rescued. I must stress that I will be the first to commend the RNLI when they save a life on the waterways but to date, I am not aware of this having ever been the case. However, the uninitiated on reading the RNLI media reports could be forgiven for believing that the ERNE is by far the most dangerous waterway in the british isles, surrounding seas included. This is patently not the case, but the impression being cultivated by those responsible for the press reporting certainly conveyed this cynical and very damaging spin.
24 February, 2012 13:56
off topic but......two years ago i saw a cruiser being ''RESCUED'' by the civil defence on the sew. not far from ballinamore no less on a lovely saturday afternoon.now that is what you call pull.when we asked the man who looked as if he was in charge about who to ring if we experienced similar difficulties he was less than willing to discuss the matter.
i wish i got the name of the boat.i wonder if it was any body on here.come on own up and tell us the secret.....grinning smiley
24 February, 2012 14:04
Hi Robert. I understand where you are coming from, but the press releases I've seen have all originated with phrases like "X people rescued" rather than "lives saved". The news media are another beast of sensational story tellers most of the time and are in the business of selling stories, hence spin, exaggeration and untruths - but by the media.

Many "shouts" have been dealing with "inconveniences" rather than lives genuinely at risk, BUT as I stated earlier, there have now been a number of "shouts" in the past three years on Lough Derg where lives were genuinly saved rather than just at risk. One of the problems inland is the "spin" on how easy and safe the boating environment is for novices, resulting in the waterborne caravan mentality. Not always helpful on the large loughs. Hence a lower level of basic seamanship resulting in more mishaps than on the coastal scene, although there are a fair share of incompetents and careless folk there too.

We can't blame the RNLI or CG for leisure boaters lack of safety awareness. Yet I am aware and have posted on the issue "thunderbirditis" and bell watching before. smiling smiley

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin
Re: Re: Well done RNLI
24 February, 2012 14:08
Thanks Andy. I missed that.

Regards

Peter
24 February, 2012 16:16
"I must stress that I will be the first to commend the RNLI when they save a life on the waterways but to date, I am not aware of this having ever been the case." Robert Mcclean

I personally know of two on Derg where but for the RNLI crew the people would most certainly not have survived.

AJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/02/2012 16:17 by Andy Jordan.
24 February, 2012 16:27
"I must stress that I will be the first to commend the RNLI when they save a life on the waterways but to date, I am not aware of this having ever been the case." Robert Mcclean

maybe they have,maybe they have not.i think what matters to most people is that they are there.
24 February, 2012 17:52
Quote:
joeseph
Maybe they have, Maybe they have not. I think what matters to most people is that they are there.

Spot on. thumbs up We are lucky to live in such a developed country with rescue services capable of many mission types on land, sea and air, road, river, lake, mountain, cave and home.

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin
RE: Re: Well done RNLI
24 February, 2012 19:49
In the past I have been critical of the RNLI's exaggerated reporting. And it was them, not the media, that reported 'lives saved'. But there seems to have been a deliberate change in policy. Looking at Wicklow station reports they now use phrases like 'rescued X people from boat', 'goes to aid', 'assists jet skiers'. Much more accurate.

RMcC does make a very good point in that exaggerated reporting does have a detrimental knock-on effect.

As others, I commend the RNLI volunteers for what they do. Knowing some of the Wicklow crew I know what they have to go out in sometimes.
24 February, 2012 20:12
Lough Erne has two separate RNLI Stations on Upper and Lower Lough Erne. The reason for this is the size of the area. The two stations are nearly 20 km apart by water. The waterway is about 100 km long and 15 km wide at its widest point and there are about 156 islands, some with jetties. There is approx. 1400 km of shore line. Between 2000 and 2010 were 4877 vessels (with more than 10 hp) newly registered on the Erne System. This data of the Erne registration sceme include 843 Personal Water Craft (jet skies).

When a distress call comes in it would need on average about 14 minutes to launch a lifeboat on the Erne system and it would be on scene with in 20 - 30 minutes of the initial call. Let us have a look to the calls and incidents in 2010. There were 64 launches to 45 incidents. In 19 incidents were lifeboats as well as a RWC (Rescue Water Cafts) involved. That is the same number of RWC launches as in 2009 when the rescue jet skies were successfully introduced on the Erne. There were a few incidents on the Upper Lough Erne attributed to weed in 2010. I met one boat owner who had to be rescued because of weed and they had at that time small children on board and they were absolutely on the safe side not to organize a "private" rescue. A few crews on boats were unsure their position, some more boats needed help with engine failure. Drifting is not a fun event when the wind is beyond F3 and could increase. Some boats were grounded, a few had rope fouled propellers. The types of call outs over the last number of years have basically remained the same. Most of all out calls are to cruisers which have either run aground or have engine failure. Most of the groundings are due to navigational error or simply not paying attention to the position in relation a shore. Engine failure and running out of fuel are other problems. Almost all call outs are down to human error if you call an engine failure a human error. More than one time RNLI were called to a boat in 2010 on the Erne which were on fire (!) and don't forget, sometimes as on Lough Derg last year there are also some calls to the rescue services on the waterways because of medical emergencies. We lost a well known contributer to a German boating forum a couple of years ago. He died on a boat in Ireland because of medical problems.

At the two Erne stations are about 36 volunteer crew members trained to launch two Atlantic 75 Inshore Lifeboats and two Rescue Water Crafts.

The rescue crew members on inland waterways are all very professional trained. In general much more better than staff of hire boat companies. We watched a couple of years ago a RNLI night training at Naan Island in a moonless night. They will go out in 4m waves at night in a rib and I know that they have done it on the Lower Lough Erne when they were called.

And yes, they first save humans and not boats, as Noel said. They are as well trained as the volunteers of the Irish Coast Guard down in Killaloe and able to check a boat and to decide if it is safe to tow or not. I remember an incident a few years ago when a helpful boater died when he tried to tow off a boat on the Erne and a cleat went off. And I personally saw also another risky pulling off and prayed, please let the clamps not break because people were standing too close to the cleats.

So, I as a hire boater would like to thank all volunteers of the rescue services on the Irish inland waterways and welcome the decision to start a station on Lough Ree.

And don't forget the volunteers are also doing a great work to prevent their own work. They inform and educate people, especially the Coast Guard Station at Killaloe is going in schools to show the kids what safety precautions on boats and along the waterways are and more. And don't forget that the Coast Guard Station Killaloe is also involved in rescues on hills and mountains and on smaller lakes and along the coastline. They have a mobile operation centre and their service cover a greater area than Lough Derg.

Regarding to the hire boat companies, they are the owners of the boats as Sven said and should be informed at first when one of their boats is in difficulties. But I would not hesitate to call directly the Coast Guard in case of a fire or sinking or other real emergencies. Sometimes hire boaters avoid to call their company because they don't want to lose their deposit. In more than ten years we came across several incidents where hire boats were grounded on rocks or sucked in mud. In one case we saw a boat which had hit a rock driving immediately further on without checking the hull. In every case we decided to postpone our plannings and to stand by. In most cases we informed the hire company or the hire company where we hired the boat. Note, Sundays you will need a special number, to call them. In one case we saw a boat in the distance not moving between marker 61C1 and 61D1 south of Lusty More on the Erne. The locals will know that this is exposed like Parkers Point on Lough Derg. We have been later told that the couple, who rented the first time, had spent there the night. They were lucky of calm weather conditions.

I wish you all a happy and safe boating season 2012!

Tina
[www.wasserrausch.de]
When the wind of change blows, some build walls, others build windmills.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 24/02/2012 21:06 by Tina.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 7
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017