The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

Allianz Boat Insurance

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Blue Flag

Blue Flag
08 June, 2012 19:41
Congrats to Killinure Point receiving Blue flag again.
Three more added to the list this year.
Re: Blue Flag
08 June, 2012 20:18
Only a trio in the Republic, Kilmore Quay Wexford, Kilinure point retained the Blue Flag

New Ross joins the two above with the Three Sisters Marina been awarded the Flag on their first application this year.

The other two are in the North.

John D.
MY Birgos
08 June, 2012 23:19
There are only 3 Marinas listed, but there are 86 Blue Flag Beaches in the republic and 2 of them are Inland. Mountshannon and (near) Killaloe.

Dermot
Cheetah 304

Quote:
John Dimond
Only a trio in the Republic, Kilmore Quay Wexford, Kilinure point retained the Blue Flag
New Ross joins the two above with the Three Sisters Marina been awarded the Flag on their first application this year.

The other two are in the North.
10 June, 2012 17:04
did kilrush loose theirs
10 June, 2012 17:25
Quote:
Dave McCabe
did kilrush loose theirs

Cappa Beach ?

[www.blueflag.org]

Dermot
Cheetah 304.
11 June, 2012 04:15
Just been down to our 52nd parallel bolthole in Ballinskelligs, Co. Kerry. We've got one there and we sail our old Albacore off it in the 'Summer' months. Last week end it was cold & almost deserted, but squeaky clean and lovely to walk the dogs on.

That's Carrauntuohil & the McGillikuddys in the background.

Tom K.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2012 04:40 by Thomas Kirby.
11 June, 2012 09:18
Quote:
Tom K
but squeaky clean and lovely to walk the dogs on.

You are not supposed to walk dogs on a Blue Flag beach and there are signs at every Blue Flag beach for that very reason... eye rolling smiley

Best regards
Sven
~~~ www.hausbootirland.de ~~~ www.blog.hausbootirland.de ~~~ www.facebook.com/hausbootirland ~~~
P J
11 June, 2012 10:48
Quote:
Sven Neubert

You are not supposed to walk dogs on a Blue Flag beach and there are signs at every Blue Flag beach for that very reason... eye rolling smiley

Incorrect, the Blue Flag regulations say:

Access to the beach by dogs and other domestic animals must be strictly controlled.
[www.blueflag.org]

This is a rather vague definition and is open to interpretation. For example, Cork CoCo say "dogs and pets are permitted in the parking areas ,on walkways and promenades in the back beach only."

But Wicklow CoCo say "Dogs are allowed on the beaches but must be on a lead and under strict supervision of the owners. Owners must clean up after their dogs."

So check with your local Council to see what their regulations stipulate

Kerry CoCo is curiously silent on dogs in its beach bye laws, but has a section for horses (which includes donkey, mule and hinny!).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2012 10:49 by Paul J.
11 June, 2012 13:22
@Paul J: Paul, surely you know that we are a Blue Flag Marina here at Killinure Point (and that is for the last - if my memory serves me right - 8 years. So you can believe me that I do know the regulations fairly well, even when the criteria for marinas are a little different to beaches. And we do talk about beaches which provide bathing areas here - and I certainly would like to find dog poo on a beach when I go for a swim winking smiley
And btw: you don't want to know how many times we pick up (literally!) dog poo here at Killinure Point. It's not the dog's fault, it's the owners of the dogs, who make the mistakes. And most of them do not strictly control their dogs, never mind keeping them on a leash, which you would called "strictly controlled".
But then again I have seen dog owners standing beside their dog on a leash, watching the animal making his poo - at a Blue Flag beach or indeed here at Killinure Point. Guess who is tidying up after them? That is us, the people who work hard to keep the Blue Flag status year after year.

Best regards
Sven
~~~ www.hausbootirland.de ~~~ www.blog.hausbootirland.de ~~~ www.facebook.com/hausbootirland ~~~
11 June, 2012 13:29
The sign at the entrance to the car park at Derrynane beach in Kerry says "Dogs must be kept on a lead"
Many people walk their dogs every morning.

Dermot
Cheetah 304
11 June, 2012 15:56
At Ballinskelligs there is a tidal range of 3-4 meters (Neaps-Springs) and at high tide you can SEE the fish, including dogfish! swim close to the water's edge, where they are caught on rod & line. They poo in the water too. The flushing/replenishing action of such a strong tide is not to be underestimated. Swimmers use the beach intermittently for perhaps ten weeks a year. Dog-walkers use it 52 weeks per year....not that the place is overpopulated, mind.

Becalmed one hot July day in said Albacore some miles out in the circular bay between B'skelligs & Waterville I could see everything right to the bottom 50-odd feet down like looking into a goldfish bowl, so clear is the water, fish & dog poo notwithstanding.

A friend used a film camera at Coomnakista slip (7 miles from B'skelligs) Hence so-so quality. We were becalmed on the way back....for about 30 minutes!

Tom K.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2012 15:59 by Thomas Kirby.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 8
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017