Inland Waterways Association of Ireland

The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

craftinsure.ie

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Poachers.

Posted by Billy Bunter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Poachers.
07 June, 2013 20:36
Just a heads up to all, Inland Fisheries were called to a suspected illegal eel net in the waters around Belturbet on Wednesday, the nets was traced and the patrol officers were made aware of some strange pink ribbons decorating the shore of the SE canal between the Erne and Aghalane, on investigation there were 22 "Pike" nets set, the patrol lifted these nets but advised that this type of incident is not a one off but more likely a business, so if anyone comes across anything suspicious please report it to the Fisheries on 1890 34 74 24.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2013 20:37 by Billy Bunter.
Re: Poachers.
16 June, 2013 15:20
Oh Oh - I've being spotting lots of similar pink ribbons along the R. Shannon, between Banagher and Portumna for the past 2 years. I hadn't a clue what they meant. If they are marking nets, that stretch will have been cleaned out confused smiley

I'm e-mailing Shannon fisheries Board.

Peter.
16 June, 2013 16:36
I thought it was something to do with a breast cancer charity!! Lol

Rich
COOL BLUE
16 June, 2013 18:16
Not sure what they're poaching. To my mind the most valuable catch will be up on L. Erne this week, but as the Junta has been tardy with their preparations for World Domination, it looks as though we'll have to let them go unmolested.
I had advocated catch (indoctrinate)-and-return, anyway, so no-one was going to come to any harm.

I'm going to propose the motion that the Junta patiently wait for the forthcoming G20 summit. Then we can bag the Chinese as well.....

T.
16 June, 2013 19:21
I had a post on here last year re. Pink ribbons, I can't find it now to copy but the ribbons stretched the length of the navigation and were part of a survey. When the surveyors " murphys" I think surveyed the river the ribbon marked the point .
Hope this helps.
17 June, 2013 00:13
Quote:
ralf
I had a post on here last year re. Pink ribbons, I can't find it now to copy but the ribbons stretched the length of the navigation and were part of a survey. When the surveyors " murphys" I think surveyed the river the ribbon marked the point .
Hope this helps.

Thanks Ralph - that makes sense.

Regards

Peter.

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 8
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017