Inland Waterways Association of Ireland

The Voice of Ireland's Waterways

Allianz Boat Insurance

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Ambulance service and life jackets.

Posted by Billy Bunter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Ambulance service and life jackets.
08 July, 2013 18:48
Hi All,

I breifly heard a piece on rte radio1 this afternoon about a boat that pulled into Carrick on Shannon on Saturday as their son had been taken ill and was unconscious, apparently when the Ambulance Service arrived they refused to walk down the jetty as they don’t carry life jackets, I’m a bit shocked at this and wondered can anyone else who heard the interview confirm that this is actually what i heard.
Re: Ambulance service and life jackets.
08 July, 2013 21:01
Have you a link to this podcast or what radio programme it was perhaps?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2013 21:03 by ralf.
08 July, 2013 21:13
Quote:
Billy Bunter
Hi All,
I breifly heard a piece on rte radio1 this afternoon about a boat that pulled into Carrick on Shannon on Saturday as their son had been taken ill and was unconscious, apparently when the Ambulance Service arrived they refused to walk down the jetty as they don’t carry life jackets, I’m a bit shocked at this and wondered can anyone else who heard the interview confirm that this is actually what i heard.

If true, someone should (but won't) resign.

BTW Ralf's reply is not viewable here - but appears on Ralf's list of recent posts; a glitch maybe?

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2013 21:14 by John.Kinsella1.
08 July, 2013 21:14
But appears now to put me in the wrong... :-)

This does seem to happen occasionally?

John
08 July, 2013 21:18
I listened to the podcast, its correct, Joe Duffy, it was Butlers Marina, and not even our own Paul Garland could get the Paramedics to use brand new life jackets supplied, they should be disgusted with themselves.

New HSE rules apparently, god help all those at this years rallies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2013 21:31 by Billy Bunter.
08 July, 2013 22:10
I have said it before and I'll say it again, The sooner Ireland and Northern Ireland (UK) gets the h!£" out of the european union and starts to employ common sense instead of idiotic lunatic decision makers in Brussels the better this country North and South will certainly be.
08 July, 2013 23:58
yes this is true,
A paramedic refused to go down the jetty on "health and safety grounds" and when a 2nd ambulance arrived they where told not to go onto the boat again on "health and safety grounds"
It was only when the fire service arrived that they went onto the boat.
All this time the poor couple watched and waited while there son was taking some sort of fit,
I cant start to imagine what they were going through this is a disgrace and could have proved fatal the paramedics where offered lifejackets but refused them again on "health and safety grounds"
During all this time I have to ask what about the health and safety of the POOR VICTIM/PATIENT????
09 July, 2013 00:51
I find it hard to believe that some one in this vocation would use the "more than my job's worth" card , if it's true they are in the wrong job. A joe soap would jump in the water to save someone and have no thoughts for their own safety so for a paramedic not willing to walk down a jetty to help someone it beggars belief angry smiley
09 July, 2013 07:56
Quote:
fergal butler
I find it hard to believe that some one in this vocation would use the "more than my job's worth" card , if it's true they are in the wrong job. A joe soap would jump in the water to save someone and have no thoughts for their own safety so for a paramedic not willing to walk down a jetty to help someone it beggars belief angry smiley

Unfortunately it's true. I was talking to somebody yesterday who was at the scene. It seems new daft H&S guidelines were handed down from on high. The IWAI has sought clarification in writing, so let's wait and see the official response before we flame particular individuals however crazy it seems. It may have been that the guidelines were misunderstood or miscommunicated, but if they prove to be as daft as verbally explained, we will need to get it urgently across to all boaters that they need to call the fire service rather than ambulance service for emergencies where the casualty is either on board a moored vessel or even on a floating jetty. Let's see what the actual official response is. Bare in mind there are different ambulance services and it's even possible this is localised to one local authority area. On the surface it does seem outragious.

OceanFroggie Noel Griffin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2013 08:06 by OceanFroggie.
09 July, 2013 07:59
All a bit vague. Is there anything online/in newspapers?

If ambulance men (disgracefully) refused to board the boat, could family and friends not have brought the casualty from the boat to the ambulance?

The boat was berthed alongside?

John
09 July, 2013 09:02
This does seem terribly absurd. What happens if H&S reaches the Fire Brigade...?? Do we then call the Coastguard for a helicopter airlift from the jetty to the ambulance in the carpark....??

M(W&W)F
09 July, 2013 09:35
I'm repeating myself but I'm surprised that friends and family of the casualty didn't (or perhaps they did?) take over and bring him ashore themselves?

John
09 July, 2013 09:55
Quote:
John.Kinsella1
I'm repeating myself but I'm surprised that friends and family of the casualty didn't (or perhaps they did?) take over and bring him ashore themselves?
John

Acording to his Father they were scared to move him and were requestion that the paramedic simply assess if the boy could be moved but they refused to walk down the 6m ramp.

It would appear to be a local thing as on the podcast other paramedics who spoke said that they have lifejackets and through ropes and are fully trained in using them.

At the end of the day there is no excuse for this appauling stance, playing games with peoples lives.
09 July, 2013 17:00
Be very careful before you call the Fire Brigade, their charge out fees are in the big time league.
Whilst on holidays last year, I had a false fire alarm at home. The fee was just short of €1,300 (12 persons @ €80 each plus a 33.33% service charge! Fortunatley my neighbours let them in, as they had all their toys out in order to gain access.
And to make matters worse, a false alarm is not an insurable incident.

Michael Brody
09 July, 2013 19:43
Quote:
Michael Brody
Be very careful before you call the Fire Brigade, their charge out fees are in the big time league.
Whilst on holidays last year, I had a false fire alarm at home. The fee was just short of €1,300 (12 persons @ €80 each plus a 33.33% service charge! Fortunatley my neighbours let them in, as they had all their toys out in order to gain access.
And to make matters worse, a false alarm is not an insurable incident.

Michael,

Do you mind me asking which part of the country you're in? I ask, because I had a similar experience in Dublin, for which I was never billed. While on the boat, the alarm monitoring company informed me that a smoke-alarm had gone off in the house, and they had called the fire brigade. (No choice, really).

The brigade attended, visually checked through windows, and used sensors through the letter-box to check for smoke. They also checked on my elderly neighbour, and investigated our shared attic space for evidence of smoke. The guy in charge spoke to me on the mobile, reassuring me that all seemed to be ok, that there was no fire. An absolute perfect service, for which I was never charged.

I wonder why the inconsistency?

Regards

Peter (Getting off topic again!!)
10 July, 2013 17:40
PM sent Peter

Michael Brody
10 July, 2013 22:04
In my work I had to attend an EFFIN Safety seminar and met one of the most arrogant people in all my life heading up the seminar. On entering the room he strode up to the front of us and stated " I could walk into any room and find a health and safety violation ". I spoke back to him and said " Anyone could do that " to which he replied " Possibly but i'm trained to see what the average person will miss ". As you can see I have no love for such people and had to sit through an excruciating 2 day lecture on some of the most obvious reasons not to do something that might be considered dangerous. If someone is stupid enough to work with electric and water without switching off the electric or enter a dangerous building with any amount of warning signs saying not to and they get injured or worse surely this is natures way of ensuring only the fittest and smartest get to pass on their genes and idiots such as these don't get the chance the finger smiley. Seriously though if an adult can stand by and watch distraught parents of an injured child and quote EFFIN safety rules as a reason not to help they should consider doing another job where their petty minds could be of a benefit to others-cleaning cats eyes in the road, making sure all the smartie boxes have the same amount of assorted colours in them etc and leave the rest of us to live in a world of sensible rules and restrictions. Mick smoking smiley
11 July, 2013 00:57
If the ambulance service people had followed HSE advice in these circumstances they would have quickly made a "Risk Assessment" and concluded that the risk of harm in using a pontoon, wearing a life jacket offered by Paul, was infinitely less than the blue light journey by road that they had presumably just made!

The HSE website offers 5 rules for making Risk Assessments and non of them would have prevented the Ambulance Crew from boarding the boat.

Interestingly, also, the same website offers examples of Myths of the Month regarding "Elf and Safety". Perhaps this is another example!

[www.hse.gov.uk]
11 July, 2013 06:36
Quote:
Steve Mulrooney
If the ambulance service people had followed HSE advice in these circumstances they would have quickly made a "Risk Assessment" and concluded that the risk of harm in using a pontoon, wearing a life jacket offered by Paul, was infinitely less than the blue light journey by road that they had presumably just made!
The HSE website offers 5 rules for making Risk Assessments and non of them would have prevented the Ambulance Crew from boarding the boat.

Interestingly, also, the same website offers examples of Myths of the Month regarding "Elf and Safety". Perhaps this is another example!

[www.hse.gov.uk]

"Perhaps this is another example"

Of an elf & safety myth or of elf & safety "justifying" bad decisions?

(The ambulance crew refusal to take casualty from boat did happen?)

John
11 July, 2013 10:40
Someone has to start the "myth" in the name of the HSE, whether this is a bona fide person eg a "Safety Officer" or just a jobsworth using it as an excuse.
In this case, presumably it was the Ambulance persons who "invented" the scenario that it was against HSE rules ( and therefore created a myth) as the HSE rules clearly allow for a risk assessment to be made and a sensible decision to be made ie simply wear a lifejacket.

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 9
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017