craftinsure.ie

Barrowline Cruisers

Join and receive your copy of IWN!

Locations of visitors to this page

Money spent on the waterways

Posted by liam hannigan 
Money spent on the waterways
26 January, 2014 12:38
I am sure a lot of boaters remember that big survey a few years ago about the amount of money that boaters spend annually on the waterways, it ran into millions spent by the boaters enjoying our waterways, it seems crazy to me that WI will risk that. There dose not seem to be any logic to it and I and all members of the Banagher Boating Club fully support the stance by the IWAI. and we will do our bit to highlight this issue any way we can
Liam Hannigan (chairman) BBC
Re: Money spent on the waterways
26 January, 2014 21:33
Hi Liam,

Great to see your post and thank you for your support. There is lots that you could do to assist in Banagher. If you contact me on kildare@iwai.ie I would be happy to give you details.

Regards

Alan Kelly
on behalf of campaign
26 January, 2014 21:50
Liam,
This could be what you are looking for -
[www.marine.ie]
Best of luck,
Paddy
27 January, 2014 10:29
Thank you Patrick that is the report and it will be a good idea for WI to read it again and realise how much we already spend on the waterways and how much we put into the local economy all along the waterways. I fear WI May have a hidden agenda that once they get these new by laws and charges passed they will sell off the waterways to private company's ???
27 January, 2014 12:04
WI itself is far far too big. We only need a dozen waterways rangers, a half dozen 5 man multi skilled work squads, half a dozen boats, a good mechanical engineer, a couple of good civil engineers, a small property section and vision. In trying to justify themselves, they need to charge for the huge ineffiecient organisation that it is.Partly a result of the Indian Civil Service mentality which prevails in the ROI Civil Service. Echoes of a long gone time.
27 January, 2014 13:18
Quote:
Alun Goodall
WI itself is far far too big. We only need a dozen waterways rangers, a half dozen 5 man multi skilled work squads, half a dozen boats, a good mechanical engineer, a couple of good civil engineers, a small property section and vision. In trying to justify themselves, they need to charge for the huge ineffiecient organisation that it is.Partly a result of the Indian Civil Service mentality which prevails in the ROI Civil Service. Echoes of a long gone time.

...................................................................................2011....2010

Category of Employment: ...............Administration.....123.....121
.........................................................Operations .........218.....223

From page 55 of the 2011 accounts, Alun. 1 Admin head for every 1.77 Ops heads. I'm guessing "managing and controlling" the 3.5% of the total boat fleet that's on the canals will be needing a large increase. Wait till they start "managing and controlling" the other 96.5%

[www.youtube.com]

M(W&W)F
28 January, 2014 12:40
I realise now that the title refers to money we the users spend on the navigation and in it's vicinity! I originally construed the title to mean government expenditure. Regular readers will know I often misconstrue such headings!

Therefore not much to do with WI or their expenditure but my opinion remains (and I don't think it could be misconstrued as a rant) is that they are way too big an organisation, and therefore far too costly, for what they're actually required to do.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests within the past 30 minutes: 10
Record Number of Registered Users (within a 30 minute window): 7 on 12 November, 2017
Record Number of Guests (within a 30 minute window): 384 on 10 June, 2017